Driving Tips Needed

Hi all,

I am thinking ahead about our summer trip to Grapehound Bound in NY in July. We'll be driving to the event from MA. My grey loves to drive in the truck. I have a Jeep Liberty with a gate behind the passenger seats so Missile has plenty of room to stand up, turn around, sit and lay down. But the longest trip he's been on with us is about an hour. We will be traveling about 6-7 hours (with breaks) when we go to the Grapehound Bound. I am wondering if I should put down the back seats and move up the gate. If I do so Missile will have to share space with our luggage as there is no where else to put it. I think he could really spread out there and we could put his favorite bed in there for him. But I worry about luggage moving and all that. So any advice is appreciated.

Missile.jpg

BABY, HE WAS BORN TO RUN!

I have traveled about the same distance in the opposite direction. Live near Grapehounds, went to the Expo. I have a similar vehicle. I have had luck bungee cording the luggage off to the side, because I have had a suitcase laying on it's side tip over, scaring the dog. We also have used a canvas cargo bag that straps to the roof, that worked really well and was only about $20.

I have traveled about the same distance in the opposite direction. Live near Grapehounds, went to the Expo. I have a similar vehicle. I have had luck bungee cording the luggage off to the side, because I have had a suitcase laying on it's side tip over, scaring the dog. We also have used a canvas cargo bag that straps to the roof, that worked really well and was only about $20.

Bungee cording the luggage. I can't believe I did not think of that! Missile likes to lean against the metal gate when we drive. I don't think he can do that if we put down the seats because they don't lay flat. Are you recommending then to put the seats down to give him more room? What do you use as your barrier between you and the dog?

Edited by Missilesmom

Missile.jpg

Does your rear seat split to go down? In my SUV my back seat splits so only half the seat can go down. I stacked my luggage, etc., on the seat that was 'up' and the greys (2) had a little extra room to move around. You can put the gate right behind the driver's seat. We did not take much - most of the stuff was theirs :rolleyes: I used duffle bags as they squash easily - the dog beds doubled as the car beds and the hotel beds, and a tote handled their bowls and food. Since it was warm (July) less clothes for the humans were needed - jeans and t-shirts. We had about a 5 hours trip and stopped a couple of times along the way. The greys mostly slept in the back. It was really no problem. It was really cute at the rest stops - many non-grey owners had to come over to ask a dozen questions.

Guest Emma0422

We had a Jeep Liberty and took many trips with our 2 dogs. We would usually fold down the bigger seat and put a bed there and a bed in the way back. Our luggage would stack on the smaller seat that was still up.

OR (the better option, probably) is to buy a $50 hitch rack. It hooks right into your hitch and is a metal grate. We stack our luggage, cover with a plastic tarp, use bungee cords to attach, and go on our merry way. We've driven 6 hours with our stuff on the back like that with no problems. Then, the girls have both seats folded with beds. Tons of room for them. The hitch rack was the best thing we ever got for our car!

ETA: Here is a link to the rack we have. I think we got it at WalMart or Fleet Farm for around $50-maybe $75...

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-CC114~6500.htm

Also, we don't use any type of barrier for our dogs. They stay in the back and don't try to get up front so it's not a problem. You could always stick a suitcase in the back to block the space between the seats.

Edited by Emma0422

I have a Subaru wagon. We pile all our stuff in the rear and on the roof rack with Duke in the back seat. With breaks along the way, just about any distance is fine.

Bungee cording the luggage. I can't believe I did not think of that! Missile likes to lean against the metal gate when we drive. I don't think he can do that if we put down the seats because they don't lay flat. Are you recommending then to put the seats down to give him more room? What do you use as your barrier between you and the dog?

Your seats should lay flat, you may not be putting them down correctly. I did that the first time too. On mine and my sister's Liberty, the back seat flips up against the back of the front seats, there's a little tab of webbing you use to pull it up, you may have to feel around in the crack to find it. Then the back of the back seat lays down flat.

My SUV is fairly smaller than yours so, yes I had to put my back seats down to accommodate 2 big boys. I don't have a bonafide barrier, I use the extra wire piece that goes with one of my crates. It's that extra piece you put in if you're starting out with a puppy to make the crate smaller, then take it out when he grows big enough. I bungee cord that to the back of the front seats headrests. Scott would prefer to ride in my lap, so I do need to blockade between the seats.

They're wonderfully adaptive. I routinely travel with 2 greyhounds and a corgi in my 1996 Saturn Station Wagon. I pack lightly, so there isn't much "stuff" to get in the way.

Earlier this year, Louis and I went 2500 miles in 2 days in a Hyundai Accent. Louis had a grand old time snoozing the miles away in the back seat, schmoozing pets at rest stops and trying (unsuccessfully, but persistently) to raid my cooler. I, on the other hand, cursed that POS rental car the whole way up the east coast and back. Never sign for a rental before checking to see if it has cruise control. Lesson learned. I didn't want to look at another steering wheel again after that. Fortunately, I got over it quickly once my own car was out of the shop. :)

Lynn

keep in mind that storing luggage on the roof is going to negatively affect your MPG.

Greyhounds get hauled all over the country in haulers that are just basically little boxes and they survive that.

Not to mention that the humans driving/riding in the vehicle do just fine in a much smaller area and sitting in one position the whole time. I think if you make regular stops and take the dog out for a leg stretcher there won't be much of an issue.

Your seats should lay flat, you may not be putting them down correctly. I did that the first time too. On mine and my sister's Liberty, the back seat flips up against the back of the front seats, there's a little tab of webbing you use to pull it up, you may have to feel around in the crack to find it. Then the back of the back seat lays down flat.

My SUV is fairly smaller than yours so, yes I had to put my back seats down to accommodate 2 big boys. I don't have a bonafide barrier, I use the extra wire piece that goes with one of my crates. It's that extra piece you put in if you're starting out with a puppy to make the crate smaller, then take it out when he grows big enough. I bungee cord that to the back of the front seats headrests. Scott would prefer to ride in my lap, so I do need to blockade between the seats.

Seats are 'almost flat. But I like the idea of one seat down now. Think we will be trying that.

Missile.jpg

Put your luggage on the ROOF!

I drove once to and from PA from MA with my parents in the front seat, their 100 lb. lab and me on the back seat, and my dog (non grey, about 18 mo at the time) on the FLOOR behind the seat of Dad's BMW. The plan had been to have both dogs share the seat with me, but the Lab would not share. My dog could not have cared less--he just wanted to be with us!

I bet your dog sleeps almost the entire way!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest StriderDog

All the advice you're getting is good - I just want to add one more helpful tip: put down a tarp between your car's upholstery and the blanket your pupper will ride on. That way, if he gets car sick (like Strider occasionally does on our 14 hour drive to my parent's house) you don't have to worry about the fluid soaking thru and nastying up the car!

Better safe than sorry!

All the advice you're getting is good - I just want to add one more helpful tip: put down a tarp between your car's upholstery and the blanket your pupper will ride on. That way, if he gets car sick (like Strider occasionally does on our 14 hour drive to my parent's house) you don't have to worry about the fluid soaking thru and nastying up the car!

Better safe than sorry!

Never thought of that either. Missile seems to like the car, never thought he might get sick on a long drive. We'll be ready.

Missile.jpg