What Antibiotics For Dental?

Guest CyndiW

Are there any human antibiotics that can be used prior to a dental? Our vet finally ok'd our newest addition to have a dental (after bloodwork came back fine) but now they don't have time to do the dental any time soon. Therefore, we are taking him to a vet about 1.5 hours away for a dental next week. I am actually more comfortable taking him to this vet because she is grey savvy and he is 12.5. However, our vet had recommended he be on antibiotics for at least 3 days prior to the dental but since she is not performing the procedure, she cannot give us the antibiotics (we already asked and she said she can't). Is there anything the vet performing the procedure can call in to a pharmacy locally? The receptionist didn't seem to think so but told me to call back in the morning and talk to the vet doing the dental. Ours always get Clavamox but isn't this an animal drug only? Our only other option would be to possibly have them overnight us something.

Guest HeatherDemps

Mine has always been on Clavamox. Couldn't the vet performing the surgery call in a prescription to your vet who could then fill it? She wouldn't be the one prescribing it then. That is what my grey's surgeon was going to do for us if we had to change pain meds since he is an hour away.

Our vet for the kennel recommends clindamycin for dentals :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

#1 Clindamycin

A distant #2 would be Clavamox (similar to human Augmentin)

So if we have Clavamox (a leftover from what we thought was a vaginal infection in Naples, and turned out not to be), would you think we can use that as a pre-dental antibiotic? Obviously, I will talk to out vet, and see what they suggest, but it will save us money, since we already have it.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Clavamox is available for both humans (brand name is Augmentin) and animals. It works well, but is expensive and doesn't do anything any better than several less expensive choices in this case.

Clindamycin is probably the "standard" for pre-dental antibiotics. It is fairly inexpensive and there probably won't be a significant price gap between your vet and a human pharmacy.

Cephalexin is acceptable and is on the $4 formulary at WalMart and Target or is FREE at Publix, if you live in the southeast.

So is Ciprofloxacin, but it is probably a bit of overkill for a dental. Cipro would be the best combination of "effective and cheap" if you have a dog that for some reason doesn't tolerate Clindamycin well. I've only ever seen one dog that didn't tolerate Clindamycin, and I happen to own him. The gastrointestinal outcome of this intolerance is quite spectacular. The cleanup involved many, many paper towels and many, many beers.

Baytril is also a possibility, but it is expensive and not available in a generic, nor is it available as a human medication (not approved for humans... can cause blindness... for some reason, dogs tolerate it much better).

Lynn

I've only ever seen one dog that didn't tolerate Clindamycin, and I happen to own him. The gastrointestinal outcome of this intolerance is quite spectacular. The cleanup involved many, many paper towels and many, many beers.

Beer works better than Nature's Miracle? Really?! What a waste of beer...I thought we were supposed to drink it!

What type do you recommend, Lynn? I prefer to drink dark ales, so could I use an IPA to clean up after doggie accidents?

:lol:rolleyes::P

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I have always used antirobe but I do give stomach support also.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest crazy4greys

My vet always prescribes Clavamox for 7 days inadvance when he knows the teeth are going to be extracted. It helps to control the bleeding and usually there is no bleeding.

Then you should also have 7 days worth after the dental also if teeth are extracted.

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

Antirobe (which is Clindimycin) is often prescribed around here for dental anything. It does a better job on mouth problems.

I have seen where a dog from another clinic got Clavamox (Augmenten) for a dental, but when it was brought to the clinic I work P/T at, he was switched to Antirobe and the problem cleared right up.

Baytril is enrofloxacin and can only be given to animals. Cipro is Ciprofloxacin, and can be given to humans and dogs. Both Baytril and Cipro are in the same family of floxacin type antibiotics, and I've heard a vet or two say that the Cipro is the "human form of Baytril". Cipro is also much cheaper than Baytril is.

Some dogs need a week on Antirobe prior to the dental, then continuing for a week after the dental. Some hounds need to go on a week of Antirobe once a month, or once every other month, to help with gum problems. Once the teeth are cleaned, consider the periodontal vaccine. That will help the body kill off the bad bacteria in addition to daily brushing and yearly or bi-yearly dentals.