New To The Greyhound World

Guest Sole

Hello all!

A few years ago I walked into a jewelry store and saw this beautiful silver brindle greyhound. I was amazed! I had never been near a greyhound before and had many of the normal misconceptions. I thought they were hyper, crazy dogs. This big girl blew all of my preconceived notions right out of the water!! She stood behind the counter just staring at me with those huge soulful eyes. I could feel myself melting right there. Her owner and I had a discussion about the pup and greyhounds in general and that was the beginning of my education! I was shocked to find that greyhounds were the complete opposite of what I had always imagined. I also felt pretty badly for judging them. I have been a pit bull advocate for years and know all about the damage that misconceptions can cause! While the owner of this magestic dog was telling me that she was very shy and never came out from behind the counter to meet customers, she CAME OUT!! I held very still as the owner stood gaping and the pup came up and stuck her head under my hand. :eek I took this as a sign that she liked me and got down on her level to give her a good rub down.

This incident occurred years ago, but has remained fresh in my mind. After that day I started researching greys and I knew that "someday" I would rescue one. Now, I am finally in a position to give a grey a wonderful home!

Well, about me....my name is Amanda. I have three skin children, a five year old chocolate lab, Odin, and six ferrets. Yes, you read that right....SIX FERRETS. :colgate Baldur, Saga, Skadi, Freyja, Pippin, and Merry are my fuzzy little babies. I've been involved in ferret rescue work for the past year and I also moderate a great ferret forum. www.ferretvillage.org

I am in the Northwest Arkansas area, so I am looking at Mid-south Greyhound Adoption Option (track affiliated) in West Memphis and at Greyhound Pets of America in Springfield, Missouri.

If anyone else knows of any shelters within my area (or within a decent driving distance) or as any advice for a new greyhound parent, please share.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.....and this wonderful breed!

Guest IrskasMom

WELCOME Amanda :wave:wave:wave . I am not so sure if a Greyhound is right next to Ferret's the

best Dog for you. I am sure the Rescue Group ( you would adopt from ) will guide you in the right

Direction. But , we are all here because this Soulful-Eyes and their regal and forever sweet Personality

has done it to us.

WELCOME Amanda :wave:wave:wave . I am not so sure if a Greyhound is right next to Ferret's the

best Dog for you. I am sure the Rescue Group ( you would adopt from ) will guide you in the right

Direction. But , we are all here because this Soulful-Eyes and their regal and forever sweet Personality

has done it to us.

I am *well* aware of the dangers of having ferrets with any dog. This is something that I must council new ferret owners on all the time. My ferrets are *never* allowed around other animals unsupervised. It's just too easy for accidents to happen. :rolleyes: I actually plan on bringing my most laid back ferret with me when we go to pick out our greyhound. :colgate

Welcome and congrats. Pick up the book Greyhound for dummies when you can. It's a greyt resource too.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest GreytMuse

Welcome to our community! Best of luck finding that perfect, ferret-friendly pup for your family! :colgate I'm guessing that with the right dog, time, training and patience, it will work out just fine. Keep us up-to-date, please!

Welcome! It sounds like you had a wonderful introduction to greyhounds. There are many people on this forum in your area, hopefully some of them can chime in and help you find a group that is close to you!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest widowcali

Welcome Amanda. Both of my Greyt girls tested cat and small children/dog safe. The trouble came when I fostered a couple of guinea pigs a few months ago. How could I know that my Widow, possibly the most laid back and gentle doggy in the world, would think that I was bringing home a buffet? :lol But all went well as the piggies never left their cage unless they were in my presence and the dogs were safely put away. It was actually quite humerous watching my little angel salivate and stare at the cage.

Welcome to GT, Amanda! :welcome2:wave Good luck finding the right grey for you and your family - it's an exciting process. As others have said, I'm sure your adoption group will be able to advise you regarding the ferrets and any other issues. Sounds like you've been doing a lot of research :D

Keep us posted!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest bythebeach

Hi Amanda! I'm new here too & this place is great. You'll find advice on anything & everything. We read the book "Adopting a Racing Greyhound" it was full of useful info for newbies. We're picking up our new girl this Saturday & can't wait. Good luck in your search!

Thanks for the warm welcome!! :D

I am still in my researching phase. If greys are anything like ferrets, I know that no amount of research is really going to prepare me for when I finally do bring one home. :lol: No matter how prepared one seems, it's always a totally different ballgame bringing home a new pet! I do have lots of experience with doggies, so hopefully that will help.

The one question I do have so far is about muzzles. I've noticed that many sites advocate the use of muzzles and there is even a thread here about why they are used....is it really that common for Greys to attack one another? What about my lab? Am I going to have to worry about them playing too rough and my grey getting hurt? My lab is *extremely* laid back (He's already five), but he does like to play like any dog does. After reading about how fragile their skin is I'm afraid that a Grey would get hurt easily during play. Do I need to muzzle my lab? He's never been muzzled and I have a feeling he would never forgive me if I used one on him. However, I certainly don't want any accidents.

Guest LindsaySF

Welcome! :wave

I think it is awesome that such a wonderful experience got you interested in Greyhounds! :D I keep hoping that every Meet & Greet we do might plant that one seed, and someday someone somewhere down the road will adopt a Grey because of it. :)

About the muzzles, it isn't about attacking, it's about Greyhounds having such incredibly thin skin. My pit bulls play rough all the time, dragging each other around by their skin :eek, chewing and chomping, and everything is fine. With a Greyhound we would be at the ER vet getting stitches. Also, it is recommended to muzzle in the yard because of the speeds Greyhounds can get up to, and some get competitive or nippy when running. Combine fast speeds with thin skin and you have vet bills galore.

~Lindsay~

I'm sure you can find a Greyhound that can learn to live in a house with ferrets, but "supervised" vs. safely in their cages--that could be tough! It's hard to comprehend that speed at which a Greyhound can move. You can supervise all you want, but if a hound, new to your home, decided to make a snack out of ferret you had, say on your lap, it would be over before you could move.

The first time my boy lunges at a small furry dog I was STUNNED. I'm used to a pit bull mix myself--he was generally extremely friendly, but with strange, large dogs he preferred to take it slow, a little sniff, a little evaluation, and then the tail wag. My greyhound, who loves ALL greyhounds without question, does NOT like other dogs and the first response is to lunge at them--then sniff them!

Just want to make you aware the "supervision" won't be sufficient at first. Greyhound on a leash in a room with ferret cages YES. Ferret not in cage with greyhound NO.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...