Gatstritis Bobbi Won't Eat

Guest FreddyGirl

Guest FreddyGirl

Bobbi, 9 year old female, was diagnosed with gastritis on Tuesday. She was given an injection of a strong antacid and later that evening ate 2 cans of Evo Beef. since then, all she will eat are chicken jerky strips. I've tried all of her usual meals when she gets picky: shredded chicken with rice in chicken broth, boiled chopmeat in rice and the 3 different canned foods she gobbled up when I first got her. Finding what she would like then was a real trip. Now, all that she will eat is the chicken jerky. Any suggestions on what to try to get calories into her? The vet told me to give her pepcid 1/2 hour 2x/day before meals. this I get in with a pll pocket.

Edited by FreddyGirl

Cody had gastritis several times... try some tilapia, just pan-sauteed... Fish is pretty gentle on their stomachs I think (might check with your vet first)

Cody was also sensitive to rice so I used pasta instead, with boiled chicken.

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Just speaking from personal experience because I was dx with this last summer.... When it first came on, it hurt so bad that I could hardly sit/stand straight, let alone try to eat much. It is very painful and feels much like knives in your stomach along with a terrible burning sensation. It took a couple of weeks for the meds to start working. Carafate is a nice short fix for people and dogs. It is very safe but you can only get it as a prescription. I find the liquid works best for me and I give it occasionally to the boys if someone is having a problem. It lines the stomach nicely and reduces inflammation quickly so that the other meds have time to start doing their jobs. All of the proton pump inhibitors and H2 blockers take a couple of weeks to really work. Hopefully, when the pepcid really kicks in her appetite will truly come back beyond just wanting the jerky. To make sure she is getting calories, Ensure (vanilla) will work. One of mine gets a can occasionally and sometimes it is just enough to settle his stomach and perk up his appetite for the next meal. Hope her stomach feels better very soon and her appetite comes back.

My Renie has been having stomach problems and I am giving her Carafate before bed, at least two hours after her last food or med, and Zantac or Pepcid twice a day 30 minutes to an hour before a meal. I also have Reglan for nausea when needed. For Renie this is going to be long term. I am feeding her Evo 95 canned or home cooked meat like boiled ground round, baked chicken, lean and tender roast beef, scrambled eggs, basically what ever she will eat. I do not give her any "treat type" foods since they have multiple ingredients. Renie was raw fed, and that had seemed to make her stomach problems better until the last few months.

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Sometimes the tummy just needs time to heal---they seem to know when it's safe to eat. Personally, I wouldn't be pushing the food, she'll eat when her tummy is ready. Dogs can go days w/o eating and unlike cats it's not a problem. Just make sure she's still drinking as they can get dehydrated rather quickly.

If she's still having troubles, check in with your vet tomorrow (or today if they're open). Might be a different med is called for. You *can* give 20mg pepcid twice a day, but if 10mg aren't doing anything for her then another med might be worth a try.

Hugs and luck.

P.S. Might try a slice of bread or two. Sometimes they will eat that when they won't eat much else.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hey Nancy,

Sending good wishes and prayers your way.

Feel better Bobbi!

Sounds like you and Polli have a similar stomach issue.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Interesting observation.

Nancy and were just discussing this last night.

Both Bobbi AND Polli-- littermate sisters have exactly the same diagnosis and are being treated the exact same way. Although Polli started off worse, not eating OR drinking whereas at least Bobbi was drinking and munching on dried chicken tenders, after the "shot" Polli resumed normacy.

It can't be something they gave one another as the last time they saw each other was for their 9th birthday 2 weeks ago and none of the other dogs (5 in total ) have it. KNOCK WOOD!

it's very strange, at the very least. :blink:

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FreddyGirl

Lat night, Bobbi drank some ensure and a couple of pieces of boiled chicken that was soaked in the vanilla ensure along with 3-4 pieces of soaked chicken jerky. This morning she had some plain yogurt with a few tenders. At 9:30 this morning a 1/2 can more of Ensure. Just got off phone with vet, since she's eating some and not losing weight, vet recommends going back to giving her what she normally was fed. Concern is that I will be creating a more finicky eater that will only want the goodies. So, back to nutro dry with chicken broth with a few pieces of boiled chicken. Will call bet back on Tuesday to see where we go from where we are. Her gas is reduced, a good sign.