Harley's Results Are In....

Guest Jamie

Guest luvmygreys
:grouphug:cry1 We chose pallative care for our Borzi who we lost to osteo last July. He was 11 years old..we kept him comfortable with pain meds, and we had 3 fairly comfortable months before we knew it was time to let him cross the bridge. You'll know in your heart what is the right thing for you in your situtation. Those are hard shoes to be in. I wish you peace...God Bless.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking in on you and Harley today. Been thinking about you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hi!

I know Jamie is going to update when she gets home. I got to go see Harley tonight and he looks amazing considering how bad he was yesterday. They moved him back to the regular vet, which I think made Jamie really happy. Our regular vet is fantastic and will spend the night at the clinic with him if there is any worry.

Jamie and her boyfriend have done such a great job making sure Harley gets everything he needs.

Hopefully he'll be looking even better tomorrow after a good night's sleep!

Kelly

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Guest HeatherDemps

Kelly-

Thanks for the update. I have been wondering all day how Harley is doing- such a relief to hear! As I watch Dempsey heal, I'm amazed what a difference a single day can make and am so glad to hear that this is true for Harley as well. I'm sure that tomorrow morning, he will look even better than he does now!

:) :) :) :) :)

Thank everyone and thanks Kelly for coming up there and for letting everyone here know.

It's been a very long stressful week. Harley is still improving but we still need to watch him close.

He's blown both front legs all he has left is his back right for IV's. He's pulled his catheter out once or twice already, he's ripped his bandage off several times, he's quite a stubborn one that boy. His belly has finally stopped seeping blood and it has turned from a purplish brown to a reddish color. He is still bleeding from the surgical site and a bit from his front legs where he blew his IV's. His legs are very swollen, and his belly has pockets of fluid that you can see when he stands up. He's still not eating so they are cutting back on the morphine (starting tonight) so hopefully he'll start to eat. I'll be going next door tomorrow to Treats Unleashed to get him some different types of dog food, hoping one of them can tempt him to eat. His red blood cell count and blood pressure are finally stable but now we are worried about his protein. He also has some pretty bad bed sores on his right side.

Were hoping within a few more days he'll be getting better. Almost forgot....Tonight was the first time I've seen him lay on his left side in months! I couldn't believe he actually laid down on his amputated side, that's how he was when we left.

It's off to bed so I can get up kinda early and go see him. I'm feeling much better knowing he's back at Dr. Dougs, like Kelly said. I absolutely love my vet and his team.

Jamie

I've talked with my favorite vet tech Amy this morning. Harley is doing a bit better, he even started wagging his tail!

He's been taken completely off of morphine. He ate a little bit last night and a bit today, but he's still nauseas. Amy's going to speak to Dr. Doug about that when he gets in (probably there now). She believes he may have some blood in his belly that his body has been absorbing and that's what is making him nauseas, he is also still peeing blood but they believe it's just from his body absorbing all of it. She was getting ready to do a CBC on him so when I go in a bit later I'll know how that is. He was laying on his chest when I talked to her, which he hasn't done that in months either, he always layed on his right side (the good side).

I'm very optimistic at this point. He's made it this far and it's no time to give up on him now.

Anyone that reads this that is going through the same thing or is deciding wether amputation is the right thing to do...I'm very happy I made the choice to do this and I still feel I made the right call even through all the complications. In the past few days I have questioned myself if I made the right call, looking at him when I see him, I know I did. Dr. Pam told me his left leg (the one with bone cancer) was very brittle and could have broke at anytime. I feel that if I didn't do the leg amp I would have lost him in a few months or less.

I'm going to take a shower and head up there to see him. Kelly and Cindy have a few new greys that are going in so I'm hoping I get up there in time to see them.

Fingers still crossed!

Jamie

Hi!

I saw Harley this morning and he looks great. They're very optimistic about him right now.

I know Jamie will fill everyone in more after she goes to see him.

Kelly

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Harley update...

His legs are still very swollen worse than last night. I was assured it's just the blood pooling and it's got to go somewhere, so i'm not worried. There is no more blood seeping from his belly or his incision, whoo hoo. His front limbs where he blew his IV's have stopped bleeding. All of his levels are up just a tiny bit. They have completely stopped the morphine and have given him some nausea medicine.

While there I was able to get him to drink 1 1/2 bowls of water and 1/2 can of wet dog food, I was very pleased with that and so was everyone else. After eating all he wanted to do was sleep. We snuck out so this time he didn't want to follow us home. I gave Dr. Doug the biggest hug and thanked him for all the hard work his team has been doing. I also got a kiss from Willy while there, I love that little birdie.

Kelly thanks for checking on Har-Har and I'll see you later tonight at Cindy's. She's invited me over to see all the greys tonight.

Hopefully soon I'll be starting a new thread on his progress as I'm hoping he'll be able to come home by Tuesday. I've got to go get a few cages cleaned up and I have a ton of snakes and geckos to feed before I go to Cindy's.

Thanks again everyone!

Jamie

Just checking in on you and Harley.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Last night Harley ate another 1/2 can of food and 1 bowl of water for my boyfriends mom (the original owner), she also said he was looking good and was alert.

My vet is closed on Sundays, but there is someone there to check on all the animals. They all know to call me if anything changes. Since he's doing better and he's back at Dr. Dougs I feel safe not to call and bug them for 1 day.

On a different note....

Last night at the foster exchange they had one dog that they didn't have a foster home for. I'm going to be fostering him until Harley comes home. It's the least I can do for them after all they have done for us. His racing name is Two Face (I believe that's it), he's 5 years old and has lived in a kennel for the past year. This is also his first time in a home.

Sending more prayers and gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Still getting better....

Rick (boyfriends step-dad) stopped by this afternoon and Harley had ate 1/2 can of food in the morning and 1/2 chicken breast and a bowl of water for him while he was there. He also said that they took Harley for a short walk this morning and he once again ripped out his cathader. His red blood cell count is now up to 35%, I'm so happy for him.

Then Cindy from Rescued Racers stopped in and gave him some scrambled eggs (which he ate the whole thing up) and spent about 45 mins with him. Cindy is truely Harley's gaurdian angel!!! I don't know what I would have done without her.

I had to work all day so I didn't get the chance to see him. I work an early shift tomorrow so I'm going up to see him as soon as I get off.

Thanks again everyone for praying for him and all the well wishes!

Jamie