Heartworm Test

Guest summertime

Guest summertime

The vet is greyhound savvy. Abilene KS vet. He tells me Abby needs a heart worm test in spite of the fact that she is on Heartguard year round. Isn't the Heartguard supposed to prevent heart worm? I can understand the annual wellness exam. I can even understand some of the tests but this one seems strange. Question, does anyone here know why she would need a heart worm test in addition to monthly Heartguard.

Chig (will be 13 in Apr) is back up to 53.4 lbs. Her wellness exam shows advancing cataracts and 2 bad teeth. Her last dental was last May. Vet says because of her age he would like to wait a couple of months before they do another. She has rebounded with gusto. She's got spirit. Question, does anyone here do more than an annual dental on their seniors?

Thank you for any replies.

I am pretty sure that they require yearly testing because the heartworm preventative is dangerous if the dog has actually contracted the parasite. It's a slim chance, but still a possibility, so they have to confirm the dog is heartworm negative before they can safely renew the prescription. I've heard of vets that test every 2 years, instead of yearly, but most require yearly.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I've not heard of any vet requiring an annual Heartworm test IF they are kept on medication year round (llike Heartguard). If you take a break from the Heartguard over the winter, then they need to be retested before starting again in the Spring. That's the policy here at Dr. Roger Sifferman's clinic.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

My dogs are kept on prevention year round, therefore my vet only does a HW check every 2 years.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement

Louisville, KY

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Guest RICHandJUDE

We have a Heartworm test done yearly. I had always wondered why we needed

an annual test when we keep our three on Heartworm all year. I concluded that many people would forget to give their dogs Heartworm every month. The vet is protecting the dog and himself.

Guest greytpets

I work at a vet hospital and we only test new patients; puppies, rescues, strays, rehomed etc but otherwise if their on preventative they should be just fine :)

My 7yo boy Jester has a hyper-sensitivity to plaque (problem child) so he needs his teeth brushed at least once a day or else he gets sore inflamed gums, without the build up of tartar which is very strange.

Hes on pulse treatments (once in a while) of prednisolone to keep any infection any control and should really have a full dental every 4-6 months :wacko: but he ALSO has a heart condition so its unhealthy for him to have so many GAs so next month were gonna give it a go with just a light sedation since hes very co-operative. *fingers crossed* hopefully he allows it, be cheaper aswell :P

He has issues with putting on too much weight aswell so he cant go on any dental diets since their too fatty :youcrazy

Guest summertime

Thank you for the info. Abby, Chig & Ripley are all on Heartguard year round. They absolutely will have the test. Apparently, this test is included at the time of the immunization visit and annual check up with the other vet. This vet mentioned it specifically. I was just wondering about it. Thanks for the input.

Annual heartworm tests are now recommended by the national heartworm society regardless of whether or not a pet is on year round prevention. No heartworm prevention is 100% effective and so the risk of not testing every year is that if your dog has a break through, they may go untreated with heartworm disease for over a year or close to 2 years if they are not tested annually.

There is some controversy as to why some dogs on prevention "get heartworm". Is it owner error and a missed dose or did the dog vomit up the heartgard tablet and the owner didn't know? No-one really knows but the current recommendation is to test every year. It used to be every other year if on year round but they changed that a year or two ago.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

I was in the vet's office the other day with Grace to get her rabies shot. An owner with a fluff came out (she was holding him) and she starting crying as she checked out. Her dog has heartworms and has been on Heartguard year round. She kept saying "I don't understand how this can happen".

So, it can and it does. A yearly test is a small price to pay to catch hw early!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest McGreyt
My dogs are kept on prevention year round, therefore my vet only does a HW check every 2 years.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement

Louisville, KY

Same here.

My dogs are on heartworm preventative year round and I have always had a heartworm test done annually. Heartgard has been available since 1986, so that's a lot of heartworm tests, but I believe it is worth it. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg