My Grey Got Bit

Guest Bobbie_Girl

Guest Bobbie_Girl

Hi there. Brand new to the forum. My husband and I took our Grey, Bobbie to the dog park today and as she was running past a Chow, it reached out and nipped her and took a largish chunk out of her skin. It's bleeding a little and we cleaned it with water and a little rubbing alcohol. Is there anything else we should do? She doesn't appear to be in pain, and the wound isn't any larger than some of the scars she had when she came to us, but I'm something of a worrier. Any advice would be appreciated.

How big of a wound is it? A stitch or two may help even if it's small. Antibiotics may help save drains, debridement, and additional work later on. Greyhounds can manage to lick a small wound into something much larger, too- the skin is thin, and they can be very determined animals.

An image and a description of the location of the wound might help some. :)

Welcome to GT!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

my understanding is that dog bites can easily become infected. maybe a trip to the vet for some antibiotics would be a good idea...

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Welcome,

I agree with RobinW. A simple nip on a grey could wind up infected...

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest team_weasel

Welcome to GreyTalk!

You will know fairly quickly (within a day or so) if it becomes infected. Look for swelling, redness, puss or oozing... And if you're unsure, best go to the vet, just to be safe... :colgate As the others have mentioned, it does not take a lot for infection.

And, we'd love to see photos of your fur baby! Keep us posted..

Sonia

Greyhounds can manage to lick a small wound into something much larger, too- the skin is thin, and they can be very determined animals.

Our grey did this, he made a little wound into quite a large ordeal when we first got him. If it's more than about a nickel-sized wound, personally I'd pop into the vet to have it looked at.

Edited by Ola

Guest LindsaySF

For this very reason, many people recommend Greyhounds only have play groups when all dogs are muzzled. Their skin is just too fragile.

I would bring him to the vet. The vet might want to flush it and give him oral antibiotics. If the skin is hanging loose, it will need to be reattached, or (if damaged badly or lost blood supply) removed.

Can your dog reach it to lick it? You might want to invest in a muzzle with a stool guard. You can get them at this site. If your dog tries to scratch it with his foot you might need to cover him with a T-shirt.

Let us know how he does!

~Lindsay~

I would absolutely take your dog into the vet just to make sure. I've been through this so many times...greys skin is so thin and it doesn't take much to do enough to require a couple of staples or stitches.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest mirthlesstroll
I am more familiar with saline solution for cleaning wounds than alcohol. Doesn't it sting?

Alcohol does sting, and that might make Bobbie refuse to cooperate next time she gets hurt. I use a wound spray I got at Petco or Petsmart. I second the T-shirt if the spot is anywhere she can reach to lick - Greys can lick a little boo-boo into a big mess.

Guest Bobbie_Girl

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! As soon as I can figure out how to post photos I'll put a picture of Bobbie up in my signature. She seems to be doing just fine, and I see no sign of infection. Just in case, we covered the spot with a bandage because as all of you pointed out, she was determined to lick it to oblivion :) We're keeping an eye on it and I'll run her over to the vet if I see any adverse reactions. My husband and I wigged out a little bit because this is the first time anything adverse has happened to our sweet girl in the 2 years since we got her.

Sadly, it has soured me on Chows, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Thanks Again!

Kelly and Andrew

& Bobbie

Guest adriahna

Welcome to GreyTalk!

I hope your sweet girlie is feeling okay. Just keep an eye on things, and a certified eagle eye on her behavior, in terms of attempts to lick the wound. I hope her spirits are in good shape! Hugs to her!

As soon as I can figure out how to post photos I'll put a picture of Bobbie up in my signature.

You can get a free Photobucket account, upload your images there, and then link them. When you assemble a post, the button two over from the "emoticon" pull-down tab in the header of the message allows you to link to the images you put there in Photobucket.

Enjoy!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest LindsaySF
Sadly, it has soured me on Chows, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Look through a few posts on here. The very same thing has happened between Greyhounds. ;) That's why they muzzle them at turn out at the track.