Dremel For Pets...

So I was searching the net for dremels to do my greys nails and see they have a cordless Dremel made for pet grooming. Supposedly it is a lot quieter then the regular Dremel.

I was wondering if any other GTers has this and what your opinions are on it. Of the reviews i've read it seems they can go through batteries faily fast

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest AbbyGirl

I got the pet dremel last Christmas as a gift because my regular rechargeable dremel died. I love it! It is much quieter and lighter than the regular one but it is hard on regular batteries as stated in the above post. I solved that problem by getting rechargeables.

I do my dogs nails once a week and I have only had to charge the batteries once in the last 3 months. So for me it's great! :)

I have one*, but I found it ate batteries. Rechargeable alkaline AAs didn't solve the problem, perhaps because I had four dogs.

Now I use a Stylus, the pistol-shaped lithium-ion rechargeable. It's small, light, and quiet (albeit relatively high-pitched). It's also variable speed, instead of just two-speed.

Dremel Stylus

ETA: *Actually, I have the golf Dremel, which is the same as the pet one except for the colour (green instead of amber) and attachments (I just switched to the sanding drum).

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest ArtysPeople

I asked for and got the Dremel Minimite for Christmas, especially for doing Arty's nails. I chose it over the pet-specific one because A. it uses a rechargeable battery, yet B. it's smaller and lighter than the regular Dremel, and C. you can still get additional bits for it to use on small around-the-house projects. I don't know how it compares to the pet one in terms of noise, but it's not too noisy at all for me.

Like Alton Brown is always saying, why buy a tool that only does one thing?

Edited because of stupid smileys being put in where I intended to write a list. :angryfire

Edited by ArtysPeople

Guest MrsDooLittle

I have the pet Dremel and both my boys HATE it! I have not gotten very far with getting them used to it. Before I got it, I figured it would be a dream but I can't say that.....at least not yet.

Cindy

WEll, I broke down and went with a regular Dremel. the 400 xpr came with a wooden box of stuff I may never use. But got it through eBay for a lot less then retail. Now to get my girls use to the sounds and the feel. And it is corded so no batteries to replace all the time

I know I have attachements I can use with house projects. So went with a Dremel that i can use elswhere.

Anybody got some ceramic tiles ya need cut???? :lol

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

We have the amber pet one too!! I have only done about 12 paws so far!! But the boys like it! I think the sanding drums are going to have to be replaced frequently, but so far the batteries are working.

My husband makes me lay a towel down because the dust is pretty visible.

I believe they have thicker sanding drums than the ones that came with the tool which would be better for large dogs. That is the next thing on my list.

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

I asked for and got the Dremel Minimite for Christmas, especially for doing Arty's nails. I chose it over the pet-specific one because A. it uses a rechargeable battery, yet B. it's smaller and lighter than the regular Dremel, and C. you can still get additional bits for it to use on small around-the-house projects. I don't know how it compares to the pet one in terms of noise, but it's not too noisy at all for me.

Edited because of stupid smileys being put in where I intended to write a list. :angryfire

This is the exact model I have. I got it on Amazon.com, and also purchased an accessory kit so I can use it for other things. The "Dremel for pets" is probably the EXACT same tool marketed at sucker pet owners (like me) at a higher price!

The rechargeable, cordless MiniMite is awesome! Purchase extra sanding bands at the time you get the tool because they don't last forever!

I love my Dremel! When George was at the vet a couple of weeks ago, I was offered the complimentary nail trim, and then the vet said, "Oh! I can see you don't need it."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Redpack

Like yor new siggy, George, fitting now that you r a sperienced ocean traveler...! I'm ordering this fur r house. My mom is scared to do r nails 'cos Dipster cries like a gril when she trims hims nails!

Emissary

Yep , I use the cordless minmite with the recharging base, too and really like it. Once I've gotten their nails nice and short, I trim once a week just a tlittle bit. Keeping the nails shorter has really seemed to help my Kharma's 2 pad corns from coming back as fast. She's pretty good about it and so is Penny now--once I'm able to catch her she just gives up & submits! MUCH better than using a clipper, fur sure. Usina a clipper scares me as much as it does them- I had a nail bleed like stink once and that was more than enough and seemed to really hurt, too .

Guest shortcat

I currently have 3 boys and have had several greys in the past all but one were boys. And trust me they would all scream like girls if I tried cliping nails! But not a one of them minds the Dremel. We used the regular non-pet. It is rechargable. But nail time is much more pleasent for greys and humans. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LovesDoggies

This is the exact model I have. I got it on Amazon.com, and also purchased an accessory kit so I can use it for other things. The "Dremel for pets" is probably the EXACT same tool marketed at sucker pet owners (like me) at a higher price!

The rechargeable, cordless MiniMite is awesome! Purchase extra sanding bands at the time you get the tool because they don't last forever!

I love my Dremel! When George was at the vet a couple of weeks ago, I was offered the complimentary nail trim, and then the vet said, "Oh! I can see you don't need it."

I've never used a dremel for my dogs' nails or for any other reason, but I want to purchase this one. Which sanding bands do I need? I'm guessing fine, but want to make sure since I have no idea how this works. Do I need the accessory kit? Or, will this have everything I need? Oh, and, I'm assuming it's the sanding bands that I will use, and not the disks, right?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Guest RocketDog

My dremel is the same as that minimite one, but it's blue. I found it at WalMart for $20, and it works wonderfully! I use the rough sanding band... 60 grit, I think... and I've been using the same band for 3 months and it's still gritty enough to do the nails quickly. I'm impressed with the battery life, too. I haven't charged it in 4 weeks and it's still working well!

Guest act2redux
I have one*, but I found it ate batteries. Rechargeable alkaline AAs didn't solve the problem, perhaps because I had four dogs.

Now I use a Stylus, the pistol-shaped lithium-ion rechargeable. It's small, light, and quiet (albeit relatively high-pitched). It's also variable speed, instead of just two-speed.

Dremel Stylus

ETA: *Actually, I have the golf Dremel, which is the same as the pet one except for the colour (green instead of amber) and attachments (I just switched to the sanding drum).

I have this one too..picked it up at Lowe's, but order the drums in quantity from a tool supplier of mine. Even my older girl relaxes to her her toes done with this.

Guest sc1911cwp

A friend gave my a Dremal with a cord that proved too cumbersome for my dog. So I bought a rechargeable one. Its speed is about 25- 5000rpm. I would buy it again but the model above it at 10 - 15,000 rpm. BTW, if you do a search under Google you can find a great article on how to use it to trim the hounds nails. Its a great article that tells you the proper way to do it. Such as DO NOT use too fast of a speed and only trim for 2-3 seconds at a time as the nail becomes hot.