For Those Of You Who Have Treated With Imizol

Maybe a bit "off" for a day or two, but the ones here that get treated are already pretty sick, so there's no telling if it's the meds or the sickness itself.

I'd expect a bit of nausea/queasiness and to fast the dog the day of the treatment.

Lynn

First shot Tootsie had no reaction. Second one was the vestibular incident.

Many people treat with no side effects. Almost all the people I know that treat a lot give the atropine before the injection. It is very important the vet knows to change the needle after drawing, before injecting, and if I remember right, IM, not subq

Here are the instructions I received from those who give quite a few injections and what I gave my vet:

60 lbs is 1.50ml 70 lbs is 1.75 ml 80lbs is 2.00ml

Two IM injections exactly two weeks apart---give a shot of Benadryl 20 minutes before each shot to minimize drooling.

Alternate side that the shot is given.

Atropine can be used instead of Benedryl

Draw imizol then change the needle

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

... and if I remember right, IM, not subq

yeah, I think the dog on GT who had the rather horrific skin reaction/ulceration, had it done subq and the injection site probably was not massaged enough to allow dispersion. Nasty reaction :(

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Grace was "off" just for the day....and after the second shot her temp shot up but that could have been attributed to nerves too. She REFUSES to go back in that vets office, so I know her experience was not pleasant. The needle is quite large/thick. I insisted on three things....shot given IM, needle changed after drawing up the drug, and I wanted to stay with her while she was given the shot rather than having it done in the back.

If I were going to do it again I'd use the same timing as last time.....appointment scheduled first thing on Saturday morning so the vet could monitor her for half the day (she stayed at the clinic...in the back with the first shot, with me in the exam room with the second shot) and no plans *at all* for the rest of the weekend (I didn't want to leave her at home alone). I also chose to do the shot on a weekend where I knew I didn't *need* to be in the office on Monday, just in case. I still took her for walks and got her out and moving around both Saturday and Sunday, just went slower and shorter until Monday. Then life was back to normal.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, Grace's titer was borderline (1:160) but I'm so glad I treated her.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

1st injection -- 1 episode of diarrhea & vomiting about 20 min. after injection. Wiped out for entire day.

2nd injection -- 1 episode of diarrhea & vomiting about 5 min. after injection. Wiped out for only half the day.

Thanks for all the responses! I was not sure how long, if they got sick, it would last. Glad it is not days of diarrhea and vomiting. We are planning a camping trip and the last thing we need is a sick dog in the motorhome. She and I will happily lay around and relax.

I already spoke to the vet about the needle change and IM. They also have the atropine on hand. I think I will make them let me stay with her for it as well. It might help her.

I am hoping to start treatment on Monday. She will have a heavy dose of painkiller on board for a joint tap being done as well. Hopefully this will help the hurting of the injection. She will spend the afternoon at the vet under supervision.

The Girls

Hugs and kisses to your girl, I'll be thinking of her and will send good thoughts her way. :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

It's given in the same manner as the vet would administer melarsomine for heartworms.... that'll get the idea across to the vet. Fortunately, imidocarb isn't nearly as painful.

Lynn

Bailey wasn't sick from it but she did have a nasty side effect at the injection site. We noticed it starting about a week after her first shot. She never did get the second shot. I posted photos on Greytalk. Her is the link Imizol Side Effect

How scary for you! My first thought was sub q. After reading your post more, that is what your vet did. I have insisted that we go IM on Shanti, plus change the needle and all the other stuff. And I have given a ton of other request/instructions. They love me! B)

I have been learning /studying all I can on this. I have spoken to several vets. I worry about my girl, but have all the faith in my vets. She goes in tomorrow morning. I keep my fingers crossed until she comes home to me tomorrow night.

The Girls