Dentals @ Ngap

Guest mom2maddiebug

Guest mom2maddiebug

Hi all,

Was just curious if anyone here takes their grey(s) to NGAP in PHilly for their dentals? I have an appointment and before I go would like to hear others stories and advice.

Thanks,

Andrea

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

Why would you go all the way out there from Womelsdorf? Isn't that an hour west of Reading? I don't want to say too much but I have talked to a couple of people that were not happy with NGAP. Hopefully someone has first hand knowledge to share with you. I know of a great vet in Palm PA that has many Greyhound clients. PM me if you want their info.

It's not a choice I would make, even though I adopted through them.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Hi Andrea. I'm glad you decided to ask this question here. I too had thought about going to NGAP, but I decided to have my local grey savvy vet do it for my 4.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

I personally would try to find something closer to home. If you need a veterinary referral, try asking greyhound owners who live close to you.

You'd be making a nearly 2 1/2 to 3 hour round trip. After dental and whatnot, your dog is going to have to ride for along trip while in a bit of discomfort from the dental (especially if there are any extractions.)

I took my 2 girls to NGAP for their dentals after my regular vet quoted me a price of about $500.00 each. I was a little nervous at first because I had never been there before, but I was very pleased with the results. No extractions and nice pearly white teeth. I was worried about my one girl because her teeth are pretty bad looking and she had 22 pulled before I adopted her. The staff was very friendly and I went back with the girls before their dentals to meet the Vets and talk to them. I am less than an hour away so the drive wasn't bad. When they need dentals again, I will be taking them back to NGAP.

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest mom2maddiebug

It takes 2 hours to get to the NGAP kennel according to mapquest. I was in NE Philly tonight and it was a 2 hour drive to and fro. I've been referred to Wyomissing Animal Hospital however they quoted me $300 already before even doing anything. I was told NGAP was good and much cheaper and knew greyhounds which is why I was going to go there. My sister is supposed to take her grey to NGAP on the same day, we were going to go together.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Can you find out what the $300 is for? Can they break it down for you?

Really $300 is not bad. I pay close to $600 each time I have a dental.

My only concern would be your grey's comfort post dental. Their mouths can be sore and sometimes even their bodies from being on a table for an hour during the dental. I would think a shorter ride would be better.

Read the thread posted above to hear why I personally wouldn't recommend NGAP for dentals. The nice thing is you actually get a reply from the director of NGAP in the thread (which he also included in the 2007 NGAP newsletter). However, if you notice his reply actually doesn't dispute any of the points that I raised. NGAP uses IV Domitor for most if not all of their dental cleanings. NGAP does nto intubate for routine dental cleanings. NGAP performs some standing anesthetic free dentals and NGAP will supplement a shy Greyhound with thyroid supplement no matter what their level is. Notice I am NOT saying that they don't check T4s... I am saying they supplement the Greyhound no matter what the level is.

Now, before you make your decision... think of the most Greyhound savvy vet that you know or would be comfortable contacting. Your primary vet, or Dr. Suzanne Stack or OSU or whoever it is that you would be comfortable contacting. Now review these practices with that person and ask them if that is something that they feel is practicing a level of medicine that they are comfortable with. IMHO the person that you contact is very important because you need to be able to trust their judgement and opinion.

Now you know the cost of a dental at your vet, the cost of the dental at NGAP. You now also know that NGAP doesn't intubate for dental cleanings and gives IV Domitor only to pretty much all of their patients. Now it is up to you to assess the value of each.

I will say that the one way I do think NGAP and I do agree is in leaving bad teeth in the mouth. I've seen a lot of bad teeth left in the mouths of Greyhounds over the years but that is not a mistake I have seen or heard of NGAP making. They do a nice job of removing the teeth that need to be removed. I just disagree strongly with the practices that I listed above.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

I used NGAP once for a dental and would not again, just didn't have a good feeling at the end. My grey was OK but I just wasn't comfortable with the care.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge