Drive Through Neuter

A few weeks ago there was a Spaniel X that kept stirring up all the dogs in the neighborhood as he romanced a girl in heat two doors down. I thought he was some fence jumping outside dog until I noticed he was dragging a pretty expensive leash. He has been here since and is a wonderful dog, obedience trained and very calm. He will make someone a great dog.

The all breed I work with agreed to take him and told me to take him to Plano yesterday and wait while he was neutered. :unsure Visions of making calf fries danced in my head. Sure enough an hour and a half later we were on our way home.

When we got out of the car I noticed the blood on his white legs and thought it was just a little seepage...until I noticed the puddle of blood in my floor where he was laying. Rescue told me to take him to vet on the corner whom I HATE with a passion. He looked at him and the larger puddle of blood on his floor and said it appeared to be arterial bleeding and he really didn't want to charge an arm and a leg to work on him after hours as he was about to close. He told me to take him back to Plano as his gums still looked good so he wasn't in immediate danger. Big problem is it is now rush hour and raining so getting back there would be a solid hour at best.

I finally called my vet and drove him there. Dr. Manny said that the problem was that he was one of those few dogs that swell tremendously and he was bleeding out of his stitches. He put in 3 staples and said to watch him and call today with an update. No charge. He seems to have stopped bleeding. I gave him some Metacam last night. When can I redose? I am totally sure he is really hurting and I have only used it on long term pain management.

Bless his stray dog heart. I guess I am a little peeved as if the vet had held on to him overnight they could have spotted and dealt with this. As a West Texas girl I'm not a big coddling weenie and know snips USUALLY aren't a big deal but last night was no fun at all.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest vahoundlover

Poor pup and you :(:grouphug I'm not sure about the Metacam dosage, we've only given it once a day. Sending prayers he'll be ok and heal without any further issues.

I think Metacam is a once every 24 hour medication. (That's how I've always been told to use it anyway). Did you give the right amount for his weight? (Stan is about 32kg so he gets up to the 32 mark on the syringe).

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Thanks for doing right by the little guy.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I think Metacam is a once every 24 hour medication. (That's how I've always been told to use it anyway). Did you give the right amount for his weight? (Stan is about 32kg so he gets up to the 32 mark on the syringe).

I've always used it once a day, was just wondering. I have the human pill version and my vet did the conversion for me when Rex was using it so I think 1/2 pill is right for a 45# dog. Rex was 90# and took a whole one.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest guinness_the_greyt

HOLY CRAP! What a day for you and the pup! Glad your vet was able to help you out!

I still dont forgive myself for not refusing to use a vet the group I used to volunteer with used... I ended up waiting until a hound with a spay came through and I had to wrap her intestines in a towel and rush her to my vet because she was allergic to her sutures (mind you I had already taken the hound back to that vet because she was so swollen...) I guess some vets are like a 5 star resturaunt... and some are like a sidewalk weinie vendor!

Glad you were able to help the pooch! :heart

Meloxicam is usually given as a loading dose, then 1/2 that, once per day, thereafter. So, with a loading dose of 0.1 mg/lb a 75 pound dog will get 7.5 mg on the first dose, then 3.25 mg once per day thereafter. It has a large margin of safety, so on a vet's instruction it can be given at somewhat higher dosages. Adding something like tramadol or propoxyphene is probably preferable. Remember that in "human" form, it's offered in 15 mg and 7.5 mg tablets. Get the 7.5 mg tabs. It'll save you the PITA of quartering tablets.

As for dogs that swell after neuter, pressure and ice are helpful. Wrap a towl around a soft ice pack or bag of frozen peas (frozen peas are really the best) and apply pressure to the area. You can get creative with maxi-pads and vetwrap, but this won't do anything for the wound, just save some clean-up.

Lynn