Chemo & Appetite

I am posting this in H&M because Carrier's appetite problems are due in part to his chemo treatment.

The last treatment made him go off his food (Canidae). We have bought variety of food in various formats - here is everything that we have in the house right now.

Canidae Lamb kibble and soft food - he won't eat lamb at all anymore

Nature's Variety Chicken Kibble - will ate this on occasion

Nature's Variety Rabbit & NV Venison Raw Medallions - will ate this on occasion - probably likes the rabbit the most

Sigma 7 Trout and Rabbit Kibble - will eat this on occasion

Oven Baked Chicken Kibble - will eat this on occasion

Merrick soft food - duck and beef tripe, - didn't want any of this. Senior Medley - which is chicken - was okay with this for a while, but not anymore

Evo kibble (red meat) - doesn't really like this.

I have fed him rice - but now he doesn't want any. I have fed him sardines, which he likes, but he can't eat a thousand of these. I have given him eggs - liked them the first time, now he doesn't.

I know his appetite is changing and I am willing to accommodate him, but I feel like giving him different types of foods is contributing to his runny poop - which he had yesterday and this morning. But I know he is hungry, so I keep trying to give him something. Should I just stick to one or two types and only offer it to him in the morning and evening and leave it at that? I figure if he's hungry enough he will eat it, but I am a little sensitive to the fact that he does have cancer, so I want to do everything I can for him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - for Carrier's appetite, my sanity and wallet. He eats treats no problem, so I know he isn't completely off his food

thanks,

Bodie was always off his food for 2-3 days after chemo, but then his normal appetite returned and he was back to wanting to eat EVERYTHING he could get his paws on...

As I recall, Winslow had the same problem (as Carrier) with eating during his chemo. You might check some of the earlier Winslow Diary posts or contact Burpdog (Diane) to put you in touch with Winslow's Mom, Glynis, to see how she solved it. Winslow is now on a quite extensive, special eating plan to keep him healthy - that is also posted in the Diary.

Edited by Bodie

Thanks Rhonda. I actually tried to call Winslow's mom last week, but i think she was out of town. will try again when I get back home. Carrier was great after his first treatment, but now with the second treatment, it's been almost two weeks of this. I am off to buy some rabbit canned food at a store here in columbus. I want to be armed for the ride home ;)

After chemo, Winslow was unable to eat any kibble--gave him the trots. He does eat EVO canned and his food regiment is in the thread somewhere.

Have you tried carafate for his stomach? Also calms the bowel. Have you tried boiled meat? (no grains)

It's weird, sometimes he will eat kibble and then not - same for the soft food. I haven't tried the carafate - but will ask dr couto about it today. As for the boiled meat... I haven't tried that yet either. He does like the raw rabbit, but there are times when he turns his nose to it and other times where he is literally gulping it down.

Is he on Pred?? That was what our vet told us was the pred is often given to help with the appetite issues.

Boiled Hamburger and pasta was often something that Rascal couldn't refuse. Not sure what that will do to the bowels. It worked okay for him. Also Ensure is a last resort thing if you really need to get some calories in him. Of course it will not help with the runs but it is something Rascal wouldn't turn down.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I know what you are going through. :grouphug Come on sweetie and eat.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

One more thing I should have remembered if I had been thinking this morning: Dr. Couto had me give Bodie a Pepcid AC in the morning and evening right after he had chemo. That helped a lot with his appetite issues and tummy upsets. The interesting thing with Bodie is that right after chemo he was completely turned off by yogurt - something he normally loves - sometimes he would eat the dog food all around the yogurt. Sometimes he would literally curl his nose at it and walk away, leaving the food and the yogurt. This always passed in a few days, as I said before, and he got his appetite and taste buds back.

Is he on any medications for nausea? If not... I'd ask your vet about the following:

1. Metoclopramide 10mg tabs: you can get 30 or 60 from Wal-mart for $4. This is an anti-nausea medication.

2. Famotidine (aka Pepcid) 20mg tabs: you can get 30 or 60 from Wal-mart for $4. This is an antacid and can help with upset stomach.

I would start both of the medications ASAP. Other things you can consider if these don't help:

1. Injection of Anzemet: used to treat chemo nausea in humans... only lasts about 24 hours though.

2. Ginger

3. Acupuncture

4. Gastricalm: a newer oral medication which can help upset stomach

5. Mirtazapine: a newer medication which is an appetite stimulant and anti-nausea med in animals.

6. Pepto-bismol

7. Megestrol: a hormonal supplement which is an appetite stimulant. I've only used this once or twice and would reserve it for severe cases.

8. Prednisone: generally not my first choice but a steroid that can stimulate appetite.

9. Winstrol: an anabolic steroid that can stimulate appetite.

I may have missed a few but that is a long starting list.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Our situation was different (terminal illness affecting appetite) but FWIW, we used:

- Pepcid, daily

- Prednisone, low dose, daily

- Occasionally other meds like Metaclopromide, depending on symptoms

- Whatever he would eat that wasn't actually poisonous

Didn't worry about poop being kinda runny as long as he didn't seem to have discomfort, unusual urgency, or unusual frequency. When he was being picky, I made up his food bowls like a divided plate -- canned rabbit in this quadrant, beef/chicken mix in this quadrant, spaghettios here, scrambled eggs there.... That way, he would usually eat SOMETHING. Also often plopped a spoonful of vanilla ice cream or drizzled a little honey on his food. He ate a lot of graham crackers and cinnamon bread .......

And don't forget canned green tripe! Often irresistible.

Hugs and luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TinasTroops

Why not try this Eva - They come highly recomended from freinds and are local, http://www.theskyesthelimit.com/index.htm

The owner has a greyhound Mix and they also have a cancer fod section as well.

hypoallergenic cancer formula

Our Canine Life cancer formula is formulated for low carbs and high protein. It is a unique blend, to support dogs with cancer. We also have a formula to support dogs that have been diagnosed cancer free, or in remission.

Pre-mix ingredients: Organic milled whole brown rice, organic whole chick peas, organic whole oats, calcium, carob, Acadian sea kelp, green tea, turmeric, oregano, marjoram, parsley, rosemary, ginger, garlic.

The above is mixed with a protein source, organ meat, cruciferous vegetables, red apple, blueberries, cranberry juice, egg, oil, and water.

Cruciferous vegetables have excellent cancer fighting properties. Research suggests that cruciferous vegetables contain a kind of phytochemical known as isothiocyanates, which stimulate our bodies to break down potential carcinogens. They work by preventing the transformation of normal healthy cells into cancerous cells.

Pre-Mixes

Muffins

Trial Size = 18 muffins

6 kg. = 225 muffins

12 kg. = 450 muffins

Bulk - Quantities of 18 per protein

Edited by TinasTroops

The only drugs that Carrier is on at the moment is a new drug called Cerenia for his nausea. In the past we have had him on the Metoclopramide for nausea and Metronidazole for diarrhea. Dr Couto wanted to try him on the Cerenia to replace the Metoclopramide because Carrier still wasn't eating, so he thought maybe changing the anti-nausea drug would help. Carrier had his first Cerenia this morning. He hasn't eaten anything since yesterday at 4pm.... which was can of Nature's Variety Instinct Canned Rabbit Food. He didn't want his breakfast yesterday before I had to drop him off. They offered him some food while he was there - but didn't want any.

He has been on Pepcid and also Pepto for the diarrhea - I found that worked better for him than the Metronidazole.

He has a fairly normal poop this morning, but doesn't want anything that we have in the house.

Thanks for the other suggestion on food. I will check them out. Off to the store.

Guest twilliams

There is no easy answer. Our dog Skip is on chemo for lymphoma. He is also taking Cerenia which has kept him from getting so sick after treatments. Appetite is another matter. What he eats one day he will not touch tomorrow. I also have a little bit of everything on hand. It is simply hit and miss. After treatments Skip will rub his nose on his bed a lot. I think his issue is with the smell of certain foods at certain times. It is so scary when they refuse to eat. Good Luck.

The only drugs that Carrier is on at the moment is a new drug called Cerenia for his nausea. In the past we have had him on the Metoclopramide for nausea and Metronidazole for diarrhea. Dr Couto wanted to try him on the Cerenia to replace the Metoclopramide because Carrier still wasn't eating, so he thought maybe changing the anti-nausea drug would help. Carrier had his first Cerenia this morning. He hasn't eaten anything since yesterday at 4pm.... which was can of Nature's Variety Instinct Canned Rabbit Food. He didn't want his breakfast yesterday before I had to drop him off. They offered him some food while he was there - but didn't want any.

He has been on Pepcid and also Pepto for the diarrhea - I found that worked better for him than the Metronidazole.

He has a fairly normal poop this morning, but doesn't want anything that we have in the house.

Thanks for the other suggestion on food. I will check them out. Off to the store.

I feel your pain w/this issue, my Sara has had chemo for 10 months now, different disease (GME encephalitis meningitis of brain) but still same problems, runny poop, she was om Pepcid, Prednsione,metronidizole, antibiotics at the beginning and Phenabarbitol and carifate, on top of Cytarabine(chemo). I have always fed bolied chicken or hambuger and rice mixed w/their California Natural Lamb and Rice kibble, just added canned science diet, she loves to eat everything but she has been a liquid poop dog throughout her disease and before, my vet tells me that she may have IBS like humans but she has been through so much medication he doesn't want to put her through the test to find out, she only poops 2 times a day so if frequency gets more I use the metronidizole. Her last treatment is next week, hoping poop problem resolves. Carrier will be in my prayers, you are doing so much for him w/ the food, he is bound to like someting!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten