Tapsy Returns To The Vet

Guest Greyhoundbaby

Guest Greyhoundbaby

To catch everyone up: Tapsy went to the vet last Friday due to a decreasing ability to walk/stand (hind legs) and he seemed dazed and confused. The doctor (not our usual) x-rayed and diagnosed with Wobbler’s Disease and spinal degeneration. Her words involved “keeping him comfortable for as long as possible.” Those words, I think, are worse than “cancer.” So – prednisone every day for 5 days and then every other day for another 10. He seemed to improve, was “brighter” and was able to return to short walks.

Night before last, he started shivering when he would inhale – but Tapsy tends to get cold quicker so we covered him up. He got up in the middle of the night and walked out to the door, daddy right behind him to let him out, and he peed before he even got out. OK – probably from the prednisone. Cleaned up, everybody back in bed, breathing seems easier. I was home over lunch and he seemed cold again so I covered him up. Came home at the end of the day and couldn’t find Tapsy. OMG – did I leave him outside all afternoon? OMG – did he fall and hurt himself? So, get the other 2 out and search the house. Tapsy was stuck behind our sofa – who knows for how long. No accidents but panting to beat the band, dazed/confused and unable to walk, stand – just paced and panted. Called the vets office to find our regular vet (they have 3 offices) – tracked him down. Called that office on one phone, called DH on other phone saying get home NOW. So – off to the vet we go (the same direction that Barry just came home from) and see our “regular” vet. Barry’s in tears; I’m in tears; Tapsy’s panting and pacing and collapsing and scrambling to get back up and panting and pacing –you get the picture.

Vet gave Tapsy an IV dose of prednisone and pain killer and sent us home for the weekend to see how he does. He’s also doubled the prednisone and prescribed a twice a day pain killer. Tapsy ate a little bit of his dinner last night and the panting stopped after the first pain pill last night. He appears brighter and more stable this morning and wanted to go on the morning walk with the other hounds.

Here’s the curious part – we found three thrown up feminine hygiene pads, undigested, this morning under the one dog bed. I had my period between the first vet visit and the emergency one last night; he had to have eaten them by Monday at the latest. Don’t know when the pads were thrown up – they were cold this AM. Tapsy’s been eating and pooping regularly though so….who knows.

Long story short – we just don’t know what each day will bring right now with Tapsy. Any white light you can throw his way will be greatly appreciated. He’s 11 and we’ve had him for 7 years but, as you all know, 11 years isn’t long enough in any of our minds.

Oh, Karen and Barry. Times like these are so hard. Good thoughts, white light and powerful prayers coming your way for Tapsy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest team_weasel
There's little that can be said to comfort you, but please know that Tapsy is in my thoughts and prayers. :hope:hope I hope that he is as comfortable as possible. :grouphug

Thinking of you and sending gentle hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.