Immodium?

Hi everyone -

We frequently dog-sit for a woman who has a westie (Charlie) - everytime Charlie is here, even for one night, he gets diarrhea. He's not getting into anything here, his diet is the same as at home, etc. We figure it's just how his body reacts to the stress of mom leaving and being in a new place. I wouldn't even worry about it except that it keeps him from being able to "hold it" all day and there have been a few accidents. I've heard that you can treat a dog's diarrhea with Immodium, but I'm wondering if anyone here ever has, and if so, what dosage? This is a tiny guy - weighs maybe 15 pounds. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Christie

Edited by CMoon75
gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

You can use a human dose of Imodium tablets to treat diarrhea in greyhounds (probably half that or less for a small dog, though you should call your vet to find out the correct dosage), but I have found that red raspberry leaf capsules work much better. You can get them at most health food or vitamin stores. I give two of them a couple of times a day during bouts of diarrhea and it works like a charm. For a smaller dog, maybe only give one capsule at a time. FWIW, I've had decidedly mixed results with Imodium and pumpkin.

Bonus: Red raspberry leaf also works for humans and alleviates diarrhea and menstrual cramps with remarkable speed and effectiveness.

ETA: It's a good idea to get the owner's permission before dosing him with anything.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Thanks - great tip. I will check into the raspberry leaf. I love natural remedies.

Yes, I am posting on behalf of both of us (the owner and myself) - but good point about checking with her.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Thanks - great tip. I will check into the raspberry leaf. I love natural remedies.

Yes, I am posting on behalf of both of us (the owner and myself) - but good point about checking with her.

I would go with metamucil instead. It's our new big D remedy for fosters and it works like a charm! You can get the flavored biscuits in any drugstore. They're for people, but the dogs go nuts for them. One biscuit upon arrival and maybe one with his first meal should suffice. FYI, the stool may have a strange consistency (gel-like) and an orange color, that's normal.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would go with metamucil instead. It's our new big D remedy for fosters and it works like a charm! You can get the flavored biscuits in any drugstore. They're for people, but the dogs go nuts for them. One biscuit upon arrival and maybe one with his first meal should suffice. FYI, the stool may have a strange consistency (gel-like) and an orange color, that's normal.

If he's only 15lbs, no need to give two biscuits - probably half of one would suffice :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Oops, sorry, didn't pay attention to how much he weighs. :blush

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The "natural remedy" that was suggested for my dog's anxiety (Valerian Root) caused his liver chemistry to go totally out of whack--so I'd think twice before assuming that this remedy suggested to you on an internet chat board is harmless.

Re: Immodium--I had a dog with chronic bouts of diarrhea his entire life, and the vet had me use Kaopectate. I'd pour the dose on bread or something, and toss it at him, and he'd eat it. Worked like a charm on a pit bull mix!

Not sure what does you'd use on a 15 pound dog, but it is safe to use.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Slippery elm capsules are also a remedy for digestive upset - can be used in dogs and humans (with different dosages naturally). You will also see some gel-like consistency with it, I believe (which I think has to do with the mucous trying to coat an irritated digestive tract).