Chocolate

Mr. Murphy got into halloween candy. He probably ate two large bags of kitkats and whoppers (both chocolate coating over other stuff).

We had one shot to make him puke so I got some heavily salted water down him. Once he caught on to what we were trying to do though there was NO way we could get any more or anything else down his throat. He puked up a small amount of bile. I took him into the kitchen to rinse the salt water off his face from him tossing his head so violently and he was scrounging around looking for food as per usual.

What are the symptoms we need to watch for? Although it was a lot of bulk, I think the total amount of chocolate wasn't too huge.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

I have no idea what the symptoms are, but my 65lbs lab Chaka ate a 2lbs chunk of Ghiradelli chocolate one time. I called my vet, he said that she should be fine because of her size. She had the big D, but she was fine.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Scouts_mom

Mr. Murphy may have a tummy upset and the big D, all of which he deserves for being a thief, but he will be fine otherwise. It is the dark chocolate that is bad. Whoppers and Kitkat have so little real chocolate in them that it won't do any real damage. My Lizzy ate a page of chocolate candy two years ago, foil wrappers and all and had no ill effects beyond foil in her poop and she already had bad kidneys. So I won't worry.

Guest sirsmom

We had a dog eat a candy bar and he got really hyper, eyes bulged a little, he was panting and salivating. It was before anyone mentioned chocolate being toxic to dogs. We didn't do anything and he was fine in a few hours.

Since it was milk chocolate, and also both candies only have a chocolate coating, he should be ok-- the total chocolate should be within the safe range.

My guys did in a HUGE bag of milk chocolate Hershey's Kisses a couple years back.. Had me panicking and looking up the toxicity... found out they'd be ok, even if only one had eaten it (Sebau had gotten most of it.. not surprising, since the others will NOT challenge her... we guessed that Sully got the chocolate, got into it, and Sebau bossed everyone out of the way :rolleyes: )

We didn't even have gas or upset tummies... just lots of sparkley foil poops. :blush

And Mr. Murphy... stop the counter surfing dude!!!

(Sully says "yeah man, congrats on the loot, go for it again! I just swiped mom's burrito, it was YUMMY!" :rolleyes: )

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

I'm hearing a gurgly tummy now so I'll bet he has diarrhea. The worst part as far as he was concerned was a face-full of heavily salted water when he was thrashing around when we tried to get more in him. I had to rinse his eyes out with clean water.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Now, Mo, did you NOT read my Medical Update on our volunteer's site? :lol

I'm betting your boy will have the D and may vomit, but, as others have said, probably not enough chocolate in there to do serious damage.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire