Urine Samples

With all the talk of UTI's and accidents, incontinence, and my on again, off again experience with this... Do the majority of your vets allow you to bring in your own urine sample? My vet, who I really like and trust, usually insists on taking a urine sample directly from the bladder (with a needle, I think), which is not only uncomfortable for Quiet Man, but requires an "office visit" which, since my vet is an in-home vet equals to $125 just to walk in my front door. Most people on here say just bring in a urine sample, but my vet would rather do his own sample, he claims it's more pure, or a more clear reading, or whatever (I can't remember exactly, it was a while ago since I had it done.)

Anyway, last year Quiet Man went through a bought of excessive drinking/accidents, was tested for everything, and hundreds of dollars later I found out he was healthy. We never totally figurd out what it was, but went away. He now has started this again, drinking more, peeing more, sometimes leaking in his sleep. Funny thing, I think it was around the same time last year, maybe a change in the weather?

Anyway, it you've read this long, what I really want to know is do any of your vets insist on geting a pure urine sample directly from the bladder?

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest gretzky

Jen, Im sorry you're going through this with QM. Wonder has a slightly elevated creatine / protein ratio that we have been monitoring for a year. Lots of samples!! I have used 2 different Vets this year and both allow me to just bring it in. I boil a small glass jar and collect the first morning urine mid stream and then drop it off within a short period of time. This method was even acceptable when I had her urine cultured when we were trying to figure out her licking. I only have to pay the test fee. She also has spay incontinence and she goes through cycles where she leaks also. I know how frustrating it can be when you don't have a diagnosis. Hope you get it figured out soon and QM is back to being himself.

The sterile cups for sampling should run a buck or two. You might ask your vet if you can be sent home with a couple on the cheap, just to keep in a cabinet for when you need to take a sample.

Sometimes you have to study for the urine test.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest snowberry

My vet gives me a sterile sample bottle and expects me to do the collecting! I never heard of anyone insisting that the sample should come via a needle... and if the tests last time didn't show anything, I'd be asking how the vet can justify it?

For the first round, we do a sample with our own cup at home and take it in to the vet for analysis. Cup is usually a used, well-washed yogurt container. If I can't get sample to vet within @ half an hour, I refrigerate it.

Zema has had a couple UTIs this year; if she gets another one, we'll probably try the sterile sample route with the needle. But for basic initial testing, it isn't needed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My vets have always preferred that I bring the urine sample, I guess so it can be the fresh morning kind. I agree the yogurt cups are great for this. I never thought about it having to be really sterile -- I just wash it beforehand with normal soap.

Guest Ladyluther

My vet gives out the cups for a urine sample. The thing is, for many of the tests, they will insist that it be the "first catch" of the day..and if you are not able to do that (ie: working hours, whatever) then they might just get it from the bladder. They have to start peeeing first, then you catch the remaining peee (and usually some where it doesn't belong). Can you see the picture???!

There were a couple of times when the vet needed a sample when Luther went in on short notice during the mid-day hours..they took it from his bladder with no problem or fuss.

I sure hope QM is doing better soon...Give him a smooche from me and Luther

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Jen, it's 50/50 here. If it's something that's ongoing or previously has happened, we go for the bladder tap. Of all of the taps that have been done, none of my guys appeared to be in discomfort from it.

If however it is to do a quick check for bacteria and crystals, I would think a quick catch would be fine.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

hmm, I wonder if I could explain to him that because of cost, I'd rather just catch my own sample initially, then if something comes back suspicous I would go for the sample from the bladder? Cost is not an issue when it comes to my dog's health, but I hate to spend hundreds again to find out he's fine. For example, he's been totally fine the last few days, the onset of drinking/leaking seemed to happen with the change of weather again. I just don't know what to do. If I was made of money the vet would be here tommorrow. But I'm hesitating to see how it goes....I feel like a bad mom.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
hmm, I wonder if I could explain to him that because of cost, I'd rather just catch my own sample initially, then if something comes back suspicous I would go for the sample from the bladder? Cost is not an issue when it comes to my dog's health, but I hate to spend hundreds again to find out he's fine. For example, he's been totally fine the last few days, the onset of drinking/leaking seemed to happen with the change of weather again. I just don't know what to do. If I was made of money the vet would be here tommorrow. But I'm hesitating to see how it goes....I feel like a bad mom.

Yep, I would call him and see if you can do that. I know you like him, but if he can't work with you, it might be time to find another vet. Don't feel like a bad mom, everyone's wallet has a bottom to it. I too panicked recently when Penny was having accidents, but was otherwise happy and healthy and bouncy. I went immediately to the vet with a sample. They are the ones that told me to wait a few days and it will resolve itself. Sure enough, it did.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Yep, I would call him and see if you can do that. I know you like him, but if he can't work with you, it might be time to find another vet. Don't feel like a bad mom, everyone's wallet has a bottom to it. I too panicked recently when Penny was having accidents, but was otherwise happy and healthy and bouncy. I went immediately to the vet with a sample. They are the ones that told me to wait a few days and it will resolve itself. Sure enough, it did.

That seems like a very reasonable request to me. And I agree, if he is adamant or makes you feel guilty or bad or that you're compromising Quiet Man's health, then it's reasonable to think of going to another vet, especially since a lot of the responses here indicate that taking your own urine sample isn't a terrible thing (my vet is ok with me taking my own sample too).

Rally

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg