Incontinence

Guest greyhoundlove

Guest greyhoundlove

My little girl, Sis, and I have been dealing w/ her leaking for about 3 years now. She is approximately 10 years old, has had 3 litters, and is fixed. When this first started she was put on proin, little blue pills. She got half of one in the morning and the other half at night. Long story short- somewhere along the line Proin turned into bigger brown pills and as of 2 months ago she was getting an entire pill in the morning, an entire pill in the afternoon, and a 3rd at night. I think she is immune to them. I told my vet that the proin was no longer working. I was basically told that the only other option is sudafed and they were not real eager to hand that out since it is such a controlled substance now a days. In the mean time her leaking has gotten so bad that we had to make her an outside/garage dog. (worst day of my life) Yesterday I decided to research this and found that hormones aka estrogen is sometimes used. I immediately went to the vet to discuss it. He said we will try the sudafed. He really does not like to use the hormones because of the side effects. Does anyone have any advice or experience with any of this? Especially the estrogen. I want my baby back inside!

Guest KennelMom

I've had dogs on both proin and DES (estrogen) for spay incontinence. Both worked well for my dog with no side effects.

Please, please bring your dog back inside. She is probably very confused, as she can't help her incontinence. You may have even signed an adoption contract that requires her to be kept as an inside dog. You can buy doggy disposable and/or washable diapers at most pet supply stores. I used them off and on with our 13 year old girl...she's now at the Bridge and I'll tell you I'd welcome using the diapers and washing beds and cleaning carpets to have her back. :(

I assume she's been checked for a UTI? Is she peeing in her sleep or getting up to potty elsewhere in the house?

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Honeysmom

I don't have advice because I have the same situation. Cali has been unable to hold her pee since May(she's a brood that was spayed last spring) and she's currently on proin....the first dose of almost 50mg twice a day did not work so the vet said to increase the dose and after discussion I said I'd try it and its been 48 hours with no signs of improvement. I definitely do not want to go the way of DES(the hormone).....too risky for cancer. Funny, I told the vet the proin wasn't working and he said to give a higher dose of the stuff that isn't working.......ok....I'll try it but I told him it isn't working.....meanwhile I am washing loads of bedding each week and have tons of paper towels and spray cleaner for the mess. But I love her :blink:

I would look for a vet who is willing to try DES if that's necessary. For this purpose, likely to have far fewer side effects than sudafed!

Has she been treated with antibiotics? Sometimes dogs have UTIs that don't show up on tests.

Please don't make her an outside/garage dog. Surely some old blankets on the floor or a few pairs of "bitch pants" would allow you all to continue living indoors comfortably.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lotsahounds

I don't have any experience with incontinence but what about naughty girl panties until you can get it under control? She's probably more stressed now being put outside. Can't you bring her back in and set up a place for her in the kitchen or someplace where her leakage could be cleaned up easily?

I have had 2 retired broods & one non-brood with spay incontinence. I have used Diethylstilbestrol (DES) on both with great results. My vet - a sighthound vet - will not use Proin because of the side effect. With Pecoe she got one DES every 3 weeks & it controlled her problem.

I currently have a 14.4 year old retired brood. She has trouble holding her bladder when I am at work. So, when I am gone she is gated in the kitchen which is covered with area rugs (as sometimes she slips.) That way if she has an accident - which she frequently does - it is very easy to pick up.

Please bring your dog into the house. That is very cruel to ostrasize her particularly at her advanced age. She didn't do anything wrong & needs your love & support at this time.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement

Louisville, KY

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Guest KennelMom
I definitely do not want to go the way of DES(the hormone).....too risky for cancer.

At the low doses used to treat incontinence, there should really be no risk of cancer or other side effects you see at higher doses. You are basically replacing the hormones removed from their body as a result of their spay. To be honest, with a bitch, I'd prefer DES over Proin.

Edited by KennelMom

I definitely do not want to go the way of DES(the hormone).....too risky for cancer.

??

Never heard of it causing cancer in dogs. Humans are different.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Don't most female racing hounds take hormones at the track to prevent their heat cycle?

It is too dang cold in Illinois to put your dog in the garage.

Get her some lady dog diapers, stick a human incontinence pad in them, and frankly, I'd look for a new vet it getting you Sudafed was too much trouble for your current vet. You can get it at the drugstore--you just have to sign for it these days (just in case you want it for making crystal meth, I guess).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Honeysmom

??

Its a hormone....the DES caused tumors in the female children of the mother's who took it...always risks with hormones.

Also....where do you purchase the "bitch pants" ...are they a special type because Cali eats the ones from Pets Smart :blink:

??

Its a hormone....the DES caused tumors in the female children of the mother's who took it...always risks with hormones.

Yes, but that's PEOPLE, not DOGS. Two VERY different biologic organisms. The organism is different, the dosing is different, the problem being controlled is different ..... DES given for female canine incontinence is considered very very safe.

Guest Honeysmom

??

Yes, but that's PEOPLE, not DOGS. Two VERY different biologic organisms. The organism is different, the dosing is different, the problem being controlled is different ..... DES given for female canine incontinence is considered very very safe.

About the "bitch pants" ...any idea where I can get those besides the ones she eats from Pets Smart? Are there a special kind that works the best?

Yes, agree...people and dogs are different. But there are potential severe side effects.

Edited by Honeysmom

Guest greyhoundlove

First of all I am not cruel to my dog. Our 3 car gagrage is heated. She has her own single bed on a frame w/ sheets, a comforter and pillows and her toys. We only park 1 car in there mainly to give her enough room. Our backyard is huge and fenced in. It has been in the low 70's here during the day. I have tried diapers, underwear etc. she will not leave them on. She is literally peeing all over the house and on the furniture. I have been going behind her for 2 years with papertowels and I also do tons of laundry blankets etc. When we are not home I have no control over wether or not she is on the furniture and to that you would say "well then lock her in a room". What's the difference between "a room" and the garage? Like I said we have literally converted the garage into the dogs room and we are out there all the time with her. You don't think I don't feel awful wondering what she's thinking. I am looking for every option to allow her to live in the house again. I am done defending myself. I just wanted a little advise possibly and I feel awful after everyone's accusations. Please don't think that I don't love my grey just as much as you or that I don't want the absolute best for her.

Guest greymommy

This might seem a little extreme, but I would do some pretty extreme things to keep my dog from having to live in a dark and lonely garage...

What if you talked to one of these pajama with legs people about making her a pair of pjs that aren't open in the belly that she could wear over her lady diapers, so that she can't take them off of herself. She can still hold her poo, right? So it's ok not to be open in the back.

AND they could maybe put together a pair with strategically placed velcro so that it is simple to take them on and off when you want to take her outside to do her business, since she is an older gal and stepping in and out of pjs would be a more delicate procedure.

Even if she is a hound who hates pjs, i'm sure she hates them less than she hates the garage. This in addition to a UTI check and continuing to pursue options with your vet, of course.

What's the difference between "a room" and the garage?

If you feel that way, that there isn't a difference, then please choose the room. The kitchen floor and the garage floor both have to be cleaned in the same way, right? Low 70's in the daytime is not going to last long at all, and nighttime is much cooler.

What's the difference between "a room" and the garage?

If you feel that way, that there isn't a difference, then please choose the room. The kitchen floor and the garage floor both have to be cleaned in the same way, right? Low 70's in the daytime is not going to last long at all, and nighttime is much cooler.

She did say that the garage is heated.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

When was her last urinalysis? Culture?

Chiropractic will help incontinence, as will acupuncture and there are chinese herbs to help also.

Don't know if these are anywhere close to you:

Daniel King, DVM, CVA

Specialty: Small Animal, Equine

Tolono, IL 61880, USA

Tele: (217)485-7387

Fax: (217)485-8388

Email: dvmchiro_avca@soltec.net

Ellen Paul-Kuchenbrod, DVM

Urbana, IL 61802, USA

Tele: (217) 344-1017

Fax: (217) 344-0654

Email: petdoc@insightbb.com

Kathleen Von Ruff, DVM

Specialty: Small Animal

Gibson City, IL 60936-7143, USA

Tele: (217)749-2358

Email: kvonruff@prairienet.net

Delores Lipton DVM Urbana IL 217-344-1017

Although I am not a fan of Proin, I suspect you are using a generic rather than brand, which may make a difference.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I am looking for every option to allow her to live in the house again.

Please don't get defensive - we all want the same thing! There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread. Concentrate on them & ignore the rest.

FWIW, if proin stopped working for my dog, I'd try DES in a heartbeat. If your vet is not helping you come up with some options, try another vet. And I like the pajama suggestion, greymommy - never thought of that one before!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

PLEASE above all, don't leave her out. She is prob more upset about this then you are.

I assume it's sorta like a family room you have had converted for the dogs??? Lights on for her, music or tv on? If she is scared, that won;t help with the pee.

Until you get the prob resolved you can get the panties made.

Sheila makes panties for girlies. You can contact her right her on GT.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

First of all I am not cruel to my dog. Our 3 car gagrage is heated. She has her own single bed on a frame w/ sheets, a comforter and pillows and her toys. We only park 1 car in there mainly to give her enough room. Our backyard is huge and fenced in. It has been in the low 70's here during the day. I have tried diapers, underwear etc. she will not leave them on. She is literally peeing all over the house and on the furniture. I have been going behind her for 2 years with papertowels and I also do tons of laundry blankets etc. When we are not home I have no control over wether or not she is on the furniture and to that you would say "well then lock her in a room". What's the difference between "a room" and the garage? Like I said we have literally converted the garage into the dogs room and we are out there all the time with her. You don't think I don't feel awful wondering what she's thinking. I am looking for every option to allow her to live in the house again. I am done defending myself. I just wanted a little advise possibly and I feel awful after everyone's accusations. Please don't think that I don't love my grey just as much as you or that I don't want the absolute best for her.

I read every response, and I didn't see anyone suggesting you were cruel! If you had simply said, "heated garage" in your original post...I'm sure everyone would agree! Big difference. Most people don't have heated garages!

I know I totally feel differently about that than seeing you live in Illinois and that you put your dog in the garage!

As far as the "bitch pants," Fosters & Smith (catalog) carries fabric ones, as does Omaha Vaccine. I think if you get a pair and use an HUMAN incontinence pad (don't even waste your money on the little pads at the pet stores!), that should contain things.

I have my own problems with my five year old boy! And the Serenity "Ultra" pads hold a RIVER of pee!!

Hang in there...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck