Taking Carly To The Vet,

Guest needlenoselover

Guest needlenoselover

Well, we've had Carly since June 30, and when she came to us, she was a bit overweight. No biggie. We feed RAW here, so I started her right away and she's been fine. But the past 2 weeks or so, it seems like she is losing weight. I mean GH's are thin to begin with, but she is down right SKINNY! You can see EVERY rib, and she eats! Sometimes she has a hunger strike, where she won't eat a meal or 2, but not enough to make her this skinny, right? And she has been licking at her teeth for a few days now. DH said she could have a bad tooth. Plus her breath is a little funky. I am just worried that she isn't keeping any weight on. She is otherwise fine. Her usual sleepy self. After all, she is a retired brood momma. She is galloping the yard with Heather occasionally, which is normal. No Big D. And she is sleeping and eating normally. So, my question for all you knowledgeable GTers is, WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY MOMMA DOG? I am so afraid that it could be something BAD. I always go to the worst thing possible first. Plus, when I called my regular vet, they said they can't see her until next Thursday!!!! RIDICULOUS! So I called a vet a friend uses for her GHs and they are going to see her at 5:45 tonight. I will be taking a poo sample and her records. Please, keep her in your thoughts that nothing is wrong. I don't know if I could take it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest needlenoselover

I know it could be a tooth, but, she is chewing RAW bones without a problem. Maybe a worm?

I haven't noticed any excessive drinking or peeing.

Edited by needlenoselover

Sending our many prayers for Miss Carly. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm sure your vet will want to run some routine blood work and run a fecal to check for intestinal parasites. I'm sure he/she will want a good look in the mouth too. :P Is she drinking to excess? You might want to bring in a urine sample to have the Dr check that too. Good luck tonight.

It really does sound like a tooth or teeth, she may just really get into the bone and forget about the discomfort for a moment or two when chewing on it OR she could get some comfort by the chewing.

Did you bring her in for a full dental when you 1st got her? Had she had one prior to her arrival?

Polli, also 8.5 lost 17 teeth when I got her home.

update after appointment.

Prayers for Carly.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sending prayers for Carly and hoping it is something easily fixed.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest needlenoselover
It really does sound like a tooth or teeth, she may just really get into the bone and forget about the discomfort for a moment or two when chewing on it OR she could get some comfort by the chewing.

Did you bring her in for a full dental when you 1st got her? Had she had one prior to her arrival?

Polli, also 8.5 lost 17 teeth when I got her home.

update after appointment.

Prayers for Carly.

She had a full dental in May, but like my DH said, a tooth can bad over night. Only 1 hour and 15 minutes until the appointment!!!

UPDATE???

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest needlenoselover

The vet took FOREVER! I can honestly say that I won't be going back there for anything else.

After going over Carlys history, and getting the lecture from the vet on RAW feeding, <_<:angry: , she couldn't find anything wrong with Carly!! No lumps, bumps, bruises, etc. So it was time for a full blood panel for my senior girl. So what does she start to do? LIMP! In the exam room. **!!!! So I walk her to show the vet that there is nothing wrong with her legs, and shes walking normally in the halls. Back in the exam room, LIMPING again. Drama Queen!!! So now I must wait for the blood work to come back on Monday to see where we are at.

Talk about frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The waiting part stinks but it is a good idea to run a full panel.

If she had her dental in May, they did pre-surgical testing before anethesia. Try to get those results faxed to you so that you have something to compare the labs to.

Her labs for her pre-op were fine and within range (otherwise you would have been notified) so it's a good baseline to compare.

Loving thoughts for Carly. These broodies sure worry the you know what out of us...

Guest needlenoselover
Carly, you silly thing, stop being such a drama queen. Have a milkshake!

So Kristen, no issues with the teeth? Maybe the fecal will reveal something.

We're hoping for some nice, simple explanation.

Sorry, no, there is a tooth issue. She has an infected tooth that needs to come out, "sometime" the vet said. But it's not keeping her from eating almost 4 lbs of RAW food a day with no weight gain. Ok, maybe 4 lbs is a an exaggeration. But it's darn close to 3, that's for sure! I have been overfeeding her to try and get her weight up. The vet did say "greyhounds are supposed to be skinny, but Carly is TOO skinny!" Well, DUH!!!!! :blink: