Need Opinions... Should I Take Chase To The Vet?

Guest savvyprchick

Guest savvyprchick

A bit of a background: Chase came in Sunday morning with a bloody foot that looked like Lu might have got him with her claws because it had four scratches plus what you'll see below.

I cleaned it up with some hydrogen peroxide because it had some dirt and stuff in it (they had been outside) and put pressure on it with some sterile gauze until it eased up on the bleeding. I didn't take him to the vet because I could tell it couldn't be stitched and decided if it didn't improve that I'd take him to the regular vet the next day (it was Sunday so only the e-vet was open). I put sterile gauze on it and wrapped it with vet wrap.

Monday it looked much better but was still oozing slightly and still oozed into Tuesday morning (I was changing the dressings twice a day until Tuesday night, now it's once a day). Tuesday morning, the oozing had slowed down enough that I could put some triple antibiotic ointment on it without it being washed away (each dressing change I flushed it with saline solution) It hasn't oozed since Tuesday night.

Until tonight, that is. I went into the living room and saw that Chase had been chewing at his vet wrap--he hasn't touched them at all since Sunday. So I unwrapped it because it was time to change the bandage anyway and it had oozed a bit, but I think it was because he was chewing at the bandages. It's healing very slowly (though the scratches are all healed) but the part where his fur/first layer of skin was sliced off is still pretty open... but again, it hasn't oozed since Tuesday until tonight.

I know these type of "slicing" wounds take a while to heal. I also know it was probably itching him as it's healing and so that's why he's getting at the bandages. It doesn't look like it has an infection and I've left it open to the air right now and he's not bothering it at all.

Money is really tight right now, so if I don't have to take him to the vet, that'd be great. Especially if you think the only thing the vet can do is dress and wrap it such as I have been doing.

Of course, if he needs to go, I'm not going to deny him that at all.

So what is your opinion (photos taken tonight below)? Sorry they aren't good photos, but it was hard holding his foot up and taking the photo at the same time.

Chaseowies002.jpg

Chaseowies001.jpg

Chaseowies003.jpg

Chaseowies004.jpg

Edited by savvyprchick

Guest greyhounder

I would say no.. because at this point it's too late for stitches anyway. If it looks infected maybe for antibiotics.. I would just keep doing what you're doing and spray the wrapping with bitter apple or do something else to keep him from chewing on the bandages.

Guest savvyprchick
I would say no.. because at this point it's too late for stitches anyway. If it looks infected maybe for antibiotics.. I would just keep doing what you're doing and spray the wrapping with bitter apple or do something else to keep him from chewing on the bandages.

That's what I'm thinking... there was no way stitches could have been done on this anyway because there was nothing to close it with. Still looking for opinions though :)

Also adding: He's not favoring the leg at all and even though I am turning him and Lu out separately, Chase did zoomies tonight in the back yard.

Just went through something similar with Jake a few weeks ago. He tore a hole on the inside of his ankle. No way to stitch, but wide open for infection. I cleaned it and put antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped. I changed the bandage daily (mainly to make sure there was no infection) and soaked it with an epson salt and water cloth. I sat with him until it while it air dried then re wrapped. It took just over 2 weeks before it dried up and closed enough that if he licked it it wouldn't open up again.

Chase's wound looks good, I'd still keep it covered when you can't keep an eye on him. At least for a couple more days. Epson salt soaks and water therapy really help speed healing.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I have found that my dogs are much more inclined to leave wounds alone if I leave them unwrapped. They may lick at them here or there, but so far they've all healed. ;) I'm having a hard time seeing the wound though, is it very deep?

If it's still weeping you may want to cover your couch/bed with a sheet to avoid staining.

Just wanted to add that on one of Mayhem's particularly bad wounds the vet recommended we do epsom salt compresses, as Foxysmom suggested.

Edited by Ola

Guest savvyprchick
I'm having a hard time seeing the wound though, is it very deep?

Just wanted to add that on one of Mayhem's particularly bad wounds the vet recommended we do epsom salt compresses, as Foxysmom suggested.

Well, it's as deep as can be without exposing bone on such a non-fat leg ;) (which isn't really that deep) But it's not oozing... just when he was bugging the bandages tonight. I think I'll be stopping to get some epsom salt at lunch tomorrow!

Edited by savvyprchick

WhenI had my fall and took out Sammi's toenail last winter, I cleaned it well, wrapped it w/ gauze and vet wrap and then putone of DS's outgrown socks over it for when walking outside for potty breaks. And I also muzzled her to keep her from taking everything off. She became more interested in taking the muzzle off then the wrappings. The only time she got really determined was when I think the wrapping might ahve been too tight, b/c after I re wrapped it a lil looser, she left it alone.

but young kid socks and a muzzle worked well.

Any injury that I bandage, I always change the dressing daily. Wounds can go downhill too quickly.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I use cut up maxi pads slathered in antibiotic ointment during the day, (Animax from the vet) and a good wash and soak and air time at night when I can supervise.

Bitter Yuck or Bitter Aplle spray on the vet wrap helps keep them out of it when you aren't there unless they are determined.

Guest tiffyks

Teagan had a wound like that on her side one time. There was nothing there to stitch...we could not find a vet we could get to and it was a weekend night. We put Bag Balm on it and wrapped her up with some gauze and vet wrap. It kept the skin moist and supple for them to work with and they told us the Bag Balm was a good thing to put on. I say he will be fine with the care you are giving him. But I would suggest that you give him a kiss from us in the Flatlands for what his ornery sister did, and then you must kiss her too.

Guest savvyprchick
Any injury that I bandage, I always change the dressing daily. Wounds can go downhill too quickly.

I did it twice daily until the wound stopped seeping. Now it is once a day.

I ended up liking the Epsom Salt thing so much (I forgot that we used to do that with horses all the time) that I went out and got it from a 24 hour Walgreen's (even missed most of my Grey's Anatomy! :lol ). I'll be doing that now nightly with the dressing change.

You're doing just fine. The vet would only do the same thing you're doing right now. If it's oozing I'd add some antibiotic ointment to the gause pad.

You can also tape a sock over it to keep him from chewing at the vet wrap... or break out the basket muzzle.

I would probably clean it well once, bandage lightly with a little antibiotic ointment on the gauze pad, change bandage daily, and otherwise leave it be. Vet if it gets icky looking.

It's a myth that you can't stitch/staple after 24 hours, tho. You can, and for some skin wounds a couple staples can be a huge help in keeping things together again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I found when George had a cut it took a lot longer to heal than my old dog would have. I don't know why--but Greyhounds have such weird, dry delicate skin!

Have you heard of the wonderous EMT gel and/or spray? It's kind of like liquid bandage. It was suggested to me, and seemed to work really well!

Cut looks OK to me!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest savvyprchick
I found when George had a cut it took a lot longer to heal than my old dog would have. I don't know why--but Greyhounds have such weird, dry delicate skin!

Have you heard of the wonderous EMT gel and/or spray? It's kind of like liquid bandage. It was suggested to me, and seemed to work really well!

Cut looks OK to me!

Yeah I tried EMT Gel on it the first day, but it didn't work well. I'm usually a huge advocate of it. :(

Guest Spoiledhound

I agree with everyone else. There just isn't anything to stitch. Keep it clean and wrapped. Do allow for some time for it be unwarpped everyday. Daily bandage changes are a must.