Ate A Chocolate Bar....

I just walked upstairs to find that the dogs had gotten into a chocolate bar I had in my purse....how worried should I be? I'm assuming that all three got a taste, so 12 ounces of chocolate between 3 70+ lb dogs shouldn't be too devastating, should it? I've read that a chocolate bar has about 6 mg of the bad toxin, and dogs need between 100-150mg to have serious symptoms. Let me know if I'm wrong and should worry!!

Guest greybookends

I wouldn't worry. The chocolate in candy bars is very watered down. If it was baking chocolate that would be a different matter. They should be fine.

They would have to eat a ton of milk chocolate in order to actually get sick. So your guys are probably going to be fine. Maybe they'll have a couple of loose BM's and maybe tummy ache but it won't kill them.

The type of chocolate that dog owners need to worry about is the bakers bittersweet dark chocolate. That stuff is concentrated and is deadly for dogs.

Guest IGmom4now

My IGs got into a shopping bag with a 70% dark chocolate bar in it, shared two-thirds of it between them....out of town, called the vet, she said don't wait, stop where you can get some hydrogen peroxide and pour it down their throats until they puke the chocolate up. I remember the median at the Food Lion where we stopped....And I will never be able to eat Rocky Road ice cream again... They were feeling punky for a couple of days.

Of course, they weigh just about 11 lbs, but some dogs are more sensitive, and there's some high octaine chocolate out there..

They'll probably throw it up eventually. Black Jack is notorous for eating chocolate <_< when he ate the 2 lb bag of M&M's I poured peroxide down his throat and up it came :puke the next time was a dark chocolate bar and he ended up throwing that up on his own.

Good Luck!! :)

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Just so everyone knows, they seem to be fine...I let them out a few extra times last night just to make sure they didn't have any accidents in the house, but there didn't seem to be any adverse effects! Thanks for all your advice!! Now I'm just cranky I didn't get to eat my chocolate bar....I was saving it for a special occasion, since it was a gift from Russia!

Guest SYMBASMOMMY

Glad to hear the pups are okay.....they may still have a few loose poos but it sounds like their tummies didn't get upset from the chocolate.....

Guest nerak254

They are fine. Once upon a time, Jessica ate hnearly an entire bag of dark chocolate Dove hearts. :blink: I was worried too and called the poison number. They told me that she would have ad to eat a whole lot more to have a problem. I was lots more careful after that, but she still helped herself to things off the counter from time to time.

Guest PetersMom

Our first Grey Peter, ate an entire bag of Hershey kisses, foil wrappers and all. I called the vet and I ended up pouring Peroxide down Peters throat at 10pm at night. Since this was my first experience with this, I didnt do it in the garage - so needless to say I stayed up all night cleaning up a mixture of peroxide and chocolate puke out of a cream colored carpet. Niiiiice. :rofl

After that I read about chocolate and dogs, and like most other posts have noted, the darker the chocolate - the worse it is. So the closer to the original form (less milk, sugar etc) the more dangerous.

Im glad your pups are feeling well!! Bummer on the candy bar though. I dont think I have ever had chocolate from Russia.