Reaction To Drontal

Guest pennyblue

Guest pennyblue

My 4 year old female does not seem to tolerate Drontal and reacted quite badly to the last batch given to her last Friday night. the reaction appears to be increasing in severity each time

1st dose about 7 months ago she lay on her bed contantly licking her lips all night

2nd dose about 3 months ago she was slightly sick a few hours following and did the usual licking of lips for the rest of the night

3rd dose last Friday evening - she vomitted what must have been the entire contents of her stomach about 5 hours later at 10:30pm and was pacing in obvious discomfort until about 4am in the morning after which she settled down, but the noises constantly coming from her stomach were horrendous. She also had diarrhoea for about 3 days afterwards.

Anyone else experienced similar reactions to this, and can anyone recommend any alternatives as I do not wich to use Drontal again for obvious reasons

I feel real guilty because it was her 4th birthday the following day, and although she was taken on 2 lovely, long walks and given a treat of chicken fillets and rice and chicken stock gravy for dinner she was still a little under the weather from the previous nights trauma - thankfully she is now back to normal - sleep, breakfast, sleep, walk, sleep, walk,dinner, sleep, walk, settle down for a long nights sleep and chasing imaginary squirels, and then the whole routine starts again the following day

Guest pennyblue

I took Penny to the Vets on Monday night for her annual vaccinations, and mentioned the reaction to Drontal. Vet suggested we tried Panacur next time, just wondered if anyone out there had any other recommendations

The only worm that Drontal/Droncit is needed for is the common dog tapeworm. For other worms, there are other, cheaper wormers. Control fleas and you won't have any need to give Drontal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Doc does pass more and softer stools and have a bit of a gurgly stomach for a day or so after his dose of Drontal Plus, that I would expect as it's effectively scouring his stomach out. Your girl's reaction does sound more worrying so yes, in your place I would try the Panacur instead. It's a powder which you have to dissolve in liquid and not that palatable I believe, so rather more difficult to administer. Those are the only two wormers recommended by vets here in the UK that I know of, there are also of course the ones you can buy in petshops but I understand those are largely ineffectual.

Also, why not ask your vet if she actually needs to be wormed so frequently? My vet feels once every six months is enough, and told me she would only recommend three-monthly doses if we frequented country areas with a lot of livestock about, or Doc was given to scavenging on walks!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

In addition to the above, I also wonder why she's needed worming so often.

Mine have taken Drontal once since they came home to me... to deworm them of tapeworms. Since then we keep them on Heartworm and Flea preventatives (June to November only) and they have stayed healthy.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I took Penny to the Vets on Monday night for her annual vaccinations, and mentioned the reaction to Drontal. Vet suggested we tried Panacur next time, just wondered if anyone out there had any other recommendations

One of my Greys, Mulder (who is now at the bridge), used to have a similar reaction to Drontal....projectile vomiting etc. I think our vet told us to use Panacur instead....it has been three years since we lost him so I don't remember clearly....but I would try the Panacur and see how it goes.

I only worm my dogs twice a year.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

My hounds do tolerate Drontal quite well BUT they get bloody stools when giving Panacur. They don't tolerate

Panacur at all...my recommendation: don't give these drugs if not necessary. I have given the last DRontal

about 4 years ago...I stopped doing those regular administrations without need. I ONLY give them in case

of worms...Ivy and Soldi haven't had worms for many years, so why mix their 'system up' with unnecessary

medications?

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest pennyblue

Thanks for all your advice - must admit I have begun to question the necessity to worm every 3 months even though this is the recommended frequency according to various books i have read. I do use flea preventative on her regularly so perhaps the worming treatment is not all that necessary (working on the basis that fleas = worms)

As Penny is the first dog we've ever owned, I was just playing things by the book - don't mean the book is right though !!

My greys have not required worming since the worming that was done just prior to my adopting them. I have a fecal test done every six months and it has always been negative. There is no way I would use a wormer unless there was an indication that it was necessary.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg