Giving Multiple Pills

Remolacha

I got some pill pockets today, and they were a huge hit :yay:yay I got a package of beef flavor for dogs, and picked up a chicken flavor for cats, thinking the cat ones might be stinkier. The cat ones also come in Salmon flavor. I'm afraid she has burned out on cheese, I hope the pill pockets last :goodluck

Carol, do you think they are playing us? :lol

Here in Germany there is a company called Gimborn that sells a multi-vitamin paste that must taste WONDERFUL:

501_055.jpg

In the years that we've been using it, Spiff has NEVER grown tired of it. We just stick the pills into globs of the paste and he swallows them ALL. Perhaps something similar can be bought in the US?

I use chunky PB. They get used to the texture and generally do not try to spit out the pills. However Pearl is not a huge PB fan and she's the one that takes 16 pills a day.

But her weakness is chicken liver. I cook it just til brown on the outside, still raw on the inside. The pills slide right in that soft center. Depending on the particular size piece I'm working with, there will be between 2 and 4 pills inserted. She usually gets the first piece without pills, so by the time she gets the pilled ones, she's snarfing it down.

I got some pill pockets today, and they were a huge hit :yay:yay I got a package of beef flavor for dogs, and picked up a chicken flavor for cats, thinking the cat ones might be stinkier. The cat ones also come in Salmon flavor. I'm afraid she has burned out on cheese, I hope the pill pockets last :goodluck

Carol, do you think they are playing us? :lol

Whatever would make you think that Jan??? :lol:lol:rolleyes:

Actually I think that Mitotane has made Nevada become more "picky" about what she eats. I've noticed that over the past 2 years, since we started the Miotane, she rejects things that use to be her favorites. Including treats. It's weird. Her taste for certain things has definately changed.

I did buy cat food also to see if that would work........... :rolleyes:

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest snowberry

Imagine folding a marble into a napkin or something :colgate It needs to be the really thin ham - just park the pill in the middle and fold the ham over a couple of times, then hold it out to your hound - and hope you get most of your fingers back!

Guest jurishound

When Crickie was sick, she refused any treat she suspected had a pill in it. So, I stuffed them all (at least 4 - 5 pills) into an empty gelatin capsule (which can be purchased at pharmacies) and used a pill gun. Then she got a treat. It made a task I dreaded much easier.

If you are using a food treat, another trick that helps is having a SECOND piece of the treat in the same hand so you can offer it immediately after (like with it) the one with the pill. They are so focused on the second treat they forget about thinking about the dreaded pill.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

I don't know if you can get wafer-thin sliced ham in the US (I'm in the UK). You can wrap several small pills into one piece of ham, and the dogs tend to gulp a folded piece of ham straight down. It's less messy than the peanut butter route, but peanut butter or pate (the strong liver smell disguises pills well) are both good.

Yep this works like a CHARM for Jordan. I just bought some very thinly sliced ham at Costco and it works great. If you get thick slices they don't fold as well so thinly sliced does it. it doesn't take much and she never seemed to get bored with real meat... but she did get bored with cheese... ( i had a whole post about that... How to give a greyhound a pill in 20 easy steps!)

Guest jfroggirl76

I use the thinly sliced turkey and roll the pills up in it or roll it into a ball. Noah just thinks he is getting a tasty treat, the only down fall I have found is that the cats and other dogs now also have to have a piece of turkey :)

Jan- I've folded it like a burrito. I made sure that the pill was in one end of the "burrito" and gave that end to Nevada first. That way if she decided to bite down, the pill would hopefully be further into her mouth. Worked 90% of the time-until she bit into one.........she now is suspect of ham/turkey. :rolleyes:

Had the pill giving conversation with my Vet today. She laughed and said that she has NEVER met a hound quite like Nevada. She was stunned that she did not like Cheese Whiz or liver. Luckily she is a friend & I didn't take it personally.............maybe I should?? :lol

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart