Greyhound Illnesses

Guest Lorraineandcrew

Guest Lorraineandcrew

Hi all,

I just wanted to say, that after reading several posts in this forum, that I am completely blown away by the level of medical knowledge the grey owners in this community possess, it is absolutely amazing to me.

Yes, I am amazed - and also SCARED WITLESS!

As a new grey owner (Dash 7 months and Q'tesh 6 weeks) I'm getting freaked out by all the things that can happen, have happend, and by the number of owners who experience a very sudden loss of their dog. I think I have to stop reading, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing! But given the number of owners here, it's probably a small percentage, it's just something that seems to concern everyone, and all of us come together to offer support to the owner of the pup in question.

I think it is fantastic that so many people are able to offer opinions and advice, and after I calm down a bit I'm sure I will be back to learn more. Prevention where possible is always a good thing!

Fingers crossed for all the dogs and people going through various issues, and thanks to everyone for posting their experiences.

Guest Tenderhearts

I used to freak out too reading in this forum :blink:

Remember, what you read here are posts about illness/injuries. For every dog with a health issue, there are hundreds without health issues that you aren't reading about :nod

Hope I helped you put things into perspective a bit better :grouphug

And that's the thing - it really is a small percentage of greys that have problems, and when they do, we post here asking for good thoughts and for ideas from the collective knowledge of all the grey owners on this board. As a body of people, we really know quite a bit and have quite a bit of experience.

And as I'm sure others will say, not many people come to health and medical forum and post about how well their greys are doing.

For the record, even though Blitz is sick, my other three greys are absolutely healthy, and in the 4 years, 3.5 years, and 10 months we have had these three in our home, the only illness has been with Wren when she got an ulcer from the stress of our move to this house two years ago.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest greyladydown

I have to add that greyhounds are not the only breeds to have these problems (although they may react to some medications differently and their test values may run higher or lower than what's normal for other breeds).

Guest KennelMom
...I think I have to stop reading, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

I think that nails it right there ;) Dogs of all breeds have accidents or get sick or die suddenly. It's not a greyhound phenomenon...but overall greyhounds are a tremendously healthy and robust breed.

Don't worry... those that have some medical knowledge of the conditions these dogs encounter worked for vets and/or handled piles and piles of greyhounds in the course of doing adoption work. Not all the conditions one encounters happens to one's own pack of 2 or 3 or 4 dogs.

My own dogs are incredibly healthy... that doesn't mean that there haven't been some scares, broken bones and "aw craps" in the past, but by and large, they're some pretty bomb-proof critters.

Lynn

For every dog with a health issue, there are hundreds without health issues that you aren't reading about

More likely thousands than hundreds :)

What you find here is breed specific information, as well as diseases and disorders affecting greyhounds due to moving around (i.e., yes, greys in Canada can have a TBD), etc. and just that they are greyhounds. Other breeds have specific issues to their breed. When I was in Dobes, my vets readily admitted I knew more about Dobes than they did regarding medical issues specific to the breed. Back then (seems like a hundred years ago) I called around the country and talked with breeders when I had a problem I needed help with :)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest PetersMom

This site has become a daily dose of much needed support, information and guidance for us. We were only blessed with one grey in our life (so far) and soon, we hope to love more. We will always come here for information, as the members are very experienced and knowledgeable - its a great comfort and a super help!

One other thing that skews the impression is that most of the forums on this board get cleaned out as information becomes old. If I remember correctly, Heath & Medical Discussion posts stay forever, so the fact that there are so many posts in H&M doesn't mean everyone's dog is sick.

That being said, I, too, have a hard time sometimes reading H&M posts. I just get too teary, especially if a dog is suffering or dies. I have to hand it to the folks who can read all the posts.

There is much to be learned in the Health and Medical posts.

Just don't become a greythypochondriac :P

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest sorenkkg
For every dog with a health issue, there are hundreds without health issues that you aren't reading about

What you find here is breed specific information, as well as diseases and disorders affecting greyhounds due to moving around (i.e., yes, greys in Canada can have a TBD), etc. and just that they are greyhounds. Other breeds have specific issues to their breed. When I was in Dobes, my vets readily admitted I knew more about Dobes than they did regarding medical issues specific to the breed. Back then (seems like a hundred years ago) I called around the country and talked with breeders when I had a problem I needed help with :)

What's a TBD? (i'm thinking "to be determined" but I don't think so here... )

Guest FordRacingRon

I hear you but its like others have stated. I am a survivor of Kidney cancer,,a pretty rare form of cancer in general. I am 3 1/2 years out. I split my day between this forum, some sports forums and a kidney cancer forum. Just like this forum, in the kidney arena people usually only come there for help not to just say hi , (we don't have Everything Else forum!) so although it appears we are all dying, the reality if most of us are not. Same thing here,,,how many thousands of greys are running around just fine vs the handful that are here (and we pray for every day).

The good thing is , just like my cancer forum, you can actually get more and help from the people that are here, and many here know way more then the average vet, just as we believe we know a lot more then the average oncologists on our cancer forum,,,,,,and we do ! Like some one said you have to learn to not be a greythpocondriac, just like I have had to learn to not be a cancerphobiac.

What's a TBD? (i'm thinking "to be determined" but I don't think so here... )

tick-borne disease.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest sorenkkg

I find my solution to the tears I get from H&M is the Cute and Funny :P looking at puppy and roach pictures is a cure for what ails ya...

Edited by sorenkkg