Really Red Itchy Gums?

The last few days I have noticed Charley rubbing his snout on his leg while laying down and even on my pants leg. Thought maybe he was just rubbing off some food stuck to his mouth or something. So we cleaned the fur on the sides of his mouth but he would every so often still rub on it. Began to wonder if it was something to do with his teeth and had a look in his mouth and his gums are really red. Brandee has not been itching but we had a look in her mouth and her gums were really red too.

Could it be as simple as they need their teeth cleaned or a symptom or another deeper problem?

Red gums are probably due to gingivitis and would indicate that they need dental care. Bright red gums can be a sign the dog is overheated. Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

gingivitis doesn't normally itch. I vote for allergies. You can check with your vet, but we use Benedryl here for summer "itchies", though it doesn't help 100%.

The problem with peroxide is that it doesn't get under the gumline, where hardened calculus is stuck, causing irritation and infection. If they haven't had a dental in awhile, now might be the time.

Is the redness for sure a new thing?

My first thought was allergies, too, because as SusanP says, gingivitis doesn't normally itch - but you could be confusing itching with soreness and irritation because dogs sometimes will paw at their mouths or rub their faces on things when their teeth are bad just because of that.

However .. if both dogs are suddenly suffering from red, sore-looking gums, I'm wondering if you have a houseplant they're both nibbling, like a Devils' Ivy, or something which has irritant sap? A few common houseplants which can do this are listed here.

Best let a vet take a look. In the meantime, in case it IS allergies, try giving him a Piriton or Benedryl and see if it makes any difference.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Tenderhearts
My first thought was allergies, too, because as SusanP says, gingivitis doesn't normally itch - but you could be confusing itching with soreness and irritation because dogs sometimes will paw at their mouths or rub their faces on things when their teeth are bad just because of that.

:nod Lori Ann used to do that when her mouth/gums were sore.

She had bad gingivitis despite regular dentals because most of the enamel was already gone on her teeth when I got her :(