Glucosamine Supplements

Fudge

I prefer a combination of glucosamine, chondrotin & msm. :)

I give my puppers Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

The problem is because glucosamine is not tightly regulated by teh government... teh ingredient list may not actually reflect what is in teh product. : (

Here is an old thread:

I would be very hesitant to use any product not on the Consumer Labs approval list. They will independently verify product analysis to show that the product contains what is listed on the label (many products fall short of their claims). I personally use and recommend Cosequin DS or Dasaquin.

http://www.consumerlab.com/results/gluco.asp

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/anima...uin_dog_FAQ.asp

Analysis of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate Content in Marketed Products and the Caco-2 Permeability of Chondroitin Sulfate Raw Materials

JANA 3[1]:37-44 Spring'00

* Abimbola O. Adebowale, PhD, Donna S. Dox, MS, Zhongming Liang, MS, and Natalie D. Eddington, PhD

* Pharmacokinetics-Biopharmaceutics Laboratory, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland

Objective: The purpose of this report is to evaluate and present the results of analysis of actual contents of several products in the marketplace containing glucosamine and/or chondroitin sulfate and to determine if they significantly deviate from label claim. In addition, the study examined the intestinal transport of several marketed sources of chondroitin sulfate.

Methods: A total of fourteen products containing glucosamine hydrochloride or sulfate and eleven products containing chondroitin sulfatewere evaluated using a UV-HPLC method. In addition, a total of 32 products containing chondrotiin sulfate were tested using a titration method. The permeability of various marketed sources of raw materials of chondroitin sulfate across Caco-2 cell monolayers were assessed. This analysis was an attempt to evaluate whether different suppliers of chondrointin sulfateuse different grades of material.

Results and conclusions: The amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin found after analysis were significantly different from the label claim in some products, with deviations from label claims rangeing from as low as 0% to over 115%. Products with a retail price of less than or equal to one dollar per 1200 mg of chondroitin sulfate were found to be seriously deficient in meeting label claim (less than 10% of label claim). The permeability of different molecular weight chondroitin sulfates was found to be significantly different (P<0.05), with the permeability coefficient increasing with decreasing molecular weight. This suggests that molecular weight of chondroitin sulfate could be a possible predictor of permeability.

More specifics: 26/32 products were found to contain less than 90% of the chondroitin sulfate stated on the label with 17 products containing less than 40% of the label claim. Only 5/32 products contained the labeled amount of chondroitin sulfate in the product. The industry standard allows for a 10% variance.

An Analysis of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate Content in Oral Joint Supplement Products

J Equine Vet Sci 22[3]:125-127 Mar'02 Review Article 12 Refs

* David W. Ramey, DVM; Natalie Eddington, PhD; Eugene Thonar, PhD; Martin Lee, PhD

* PO Box 5231, Glendale, CA 91221

Numerous dietary supplements containing glucosamine and/or chondroitin sulfate are marketed as a way to help support, improve or restore the health of their horse's joints. In humans, the glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate market has been estimated to be over 500 million dollars in retail sales between July 1998 and May 1999. While it is not clear that such products are actually effective in horses, the assessment of effectiveness might be skewed if the products did not contain content in amounts that matched label claims.

Since they are considered nutritional supplements, oral joint supplements are not subject to the same stringent requirements for quality manufacturing as are pharmaceutical products. The quality of dietary supplements becomes a question because of the lack of regulatory provisions regarding the actual content of active ingredients contained in the jar, bucket or bottle. In fact, there is no practical way for veterinarians or horse owners to judge the quality of the products that they are purchasing. Independent analyses of a variety of supplement and herbal products designated for the human health market have shown that many products that have been tested, including calcium, St. Johns wort, ephedra and ginko biloba, have product content that fails to match label claims. Some even have zero active ingredients. Testing of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate products intended for human use has also showed wide differences between published label amounts and the actual content of active ingredients.

Even if oral joint supplement product were effective, the supplements would not be effective if the active ingredients were not included in the supplement product. This study analyzed 11 over-the-counter supplements intended for use in horses that contained chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, or both.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the info! I have heard of Cosequin....I will check with my vet or maybe it is sold without a script.

At this point I would honestly recommend Dasaquin. It is made by the same company but their research is showing that it is more effective than Cosequin which says a lot b/c Cosequin was the gold standard in the industry. An extra bonus is that it is actually cheaper than Cosequin!

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

I have given Cosequin DS to all of my boys for several years but when Dasaquin came out we switched because it is better and cheaper. We have seen wonderful results with both products and they love taking them. They think it is a special little treat on their evening meal.

Guest paulamariez

I'm wondering where we might get Dasaquin too! The last two brands we tried, only our Siberian Husky would eat the dumb things. And the gluc/chon tablets are so stinking big, they're hard to stick in something and not have the hounds suspect that they're in there! It's also a big drama if you have to break them up and shove them down their throats (I hate doing that). I just hope the three hounds might like them! It's good to have a brand recommendation because there's so many different brands out there, it's mind boggling. Our vet made a suggestion, I can't remember what the brand was, but she was out of them at the time, so she gave us her second choice, which was so stinking expensive, we couldn't believe it! Sometimes I think our vet is out to get us for every penny they can. I'm curious to know about how much the Dasaquin might set us back. We're giving the supplements to four dogs, so it tends to get quite expensive when you're on an extremely tight budget.

Guest tigerlily

greyhoundgang.com sells powdered glucosamine, MSM, shark cartilage vitamin c and some other supplements on their web site. i believe theirs to be very pure and good quality..also their profit goes for helping grey adoptions. click on greyt goodies when you go to their home page.. and they are great to work with..if you call her she will tell you what she thinks you might need as she has greys herself..

If you order Cosequine (or maybe Dasaquine which I'm going to investigate) see if your vet can order you a larger bottle--ours does and it saves me a tone of money compared to buying it in the 90 count bottles.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I have cosequin DS left from our cocker spaniel we had put down. Would it be okay to start our 2 greyz on it, one is 8, the other 5 or should I check with my vet first?

Dianne