-

Guest Winterwish

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Hrmmm.... Guinn goes through this but with grass... and if I wont let him out to eat grass he will eat paper to make himself throw up. My old vet told me it was due to an upset stomach and he is trying to settle his stomach the only way he knows how. My guess is a touch of acid reflux maybe? Im interested to see what people say...

I had an episode like that with Bailey this past year. We never really figured out what happened, the best guess from the vet was that he had something stuck in his throat and was trying to clear it by alternatively throwing up and eating things. He tried to eat a stick, my jacket, a plastic bag, just as you describe. The vet wanted us to wait a bit then explore surgically if it did not resolve on it's own. It did resolve on it's own, after about 24-36 hrs, but it was scarey while it lasted.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

See if a piece of bread settles him? :dunno Wonder if it's hunger vs behavior? :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest LolasMom

OK It's a shot in the dark but...is he getting a balanced diet? I had a non-grey once that acted similarly and we played with changing up what he was eating to include more variety (in addition to protein source we added more veggies, fruits, carbs and bones) and problem solved. If it seems to only happen after returning from walks, perhaps due to some kind of stress, have something ready for him to chew on (that's acceptable) when he comes back in the house. Hope this helps.

OOPS, I just reread your post to see it's only happened 3 times over the last year so "something in his throat" seems possible.

Were the other episodes at this time of year also? When my hay fever acts up, the back of my throat gets really itchy and I joke that I wish I could stick a back scratcher down my throat to scratch it. I wonder if he's got an allergy?

I'm glad he seems a bit better,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Renie has done this three different times, it is when her stomach is upset or hurts. She will eat paper towel, try to eat a rug, DH's shoestrings while they are on his feet, etc. so I know what you are talking about. She is trying to get all this stuff in, and then she will vomit. I give Renie Reglan and Pepcid or Zantac and it calms her tummy down pretty quickly. I usually give her two or three doses and a bland dinner and by the next day she is fine.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

What sounds weird to me is that just bile and clear liquid is coming up when he vomits. Why no food? Could this guy really be hungry? Could somebody else be snatching his meals?

Poor babe. I sure wish that they could tell us what is bothering them. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Winterwish
...Why no food? Could this guy really be hungry?...

Oh there's always plenty of great food available!

Edited by Winterwish

...She is trying to get all this stuff in, and then she will vomit...

Greytlady94 thank you so much,that is a great idea and I gave him a pepcid a little while ago. He did stop trying to eat these odd things about 2 hours ago,and yes it sounds just like how you describe Renie.

That makes such sense,to eat all this stuff,so that then they will vomit. (and get whatever doesn't feel good out?)

Such a strange sight tho',and it comes on suddenly,like,a ravenous desire to eat a basket,or slipcover...

So far,so good on having eaten the beef,he's kept that down and is sound asleep again.

Thanks Dana,Patti,and Nancy too, :)

I'm so glad Dreamer is feeling better. :)

When Renie has done this it is almost as if she is a possessed doggie. :lol It's not funny at the time though because some of the things she has gobbled, or tried to gobble, could cause a dangerous blockage. I keep Reglan, Pepcid and Zantac on hand at all times.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Eating non-food objects is called pica. There are a lot of causes for pica--some psychological--but in this case since you've just switched him to a new food and he's tossing his cookies, I've got to wonder if it's because his tummy hurts or he's having an allergic reaction. Is there any wheat or soy in the new food (most common allergens)? Does he have any other sensitivities that you're aware of?

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg