-

Guest Winterwish

Mary, I'm just catching up on this now. I'm glad that Dreamer is doing better but it is so stressful to watch when you are in the middle of it. Although we haven't had this experience, it does sound like the Pepcid helped and perhaps he had acid indigestion from the change to the new food. The allergy is also a good suggestion - we had a non-grey once that needed allergy shots in the Spring and Fall.

Give your boy a big hug for me and hopefully he will be completely on the mend today. :wub:

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Burp was like this all the time. He had h pylori and gastritis. Once the h pylori was cleared he was better, but never best. It was a long, hard road to keep his stomach in line.

I'd keep him on pepcid or zantac for several days even if he seems ok.

They will do this when their stomach hurts. I could not convince one vet that excess water drinking and eating anything was caused by Burp's stomach hurting. They either want to eat anything/everything or nothing. No inbetween!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest adriahna

Mary,

I just bumped into this thread, and am glad to hear that your pup is doing better. Sheesh, the things our hounds go through with dietary concerns... Hoping Dreamer continues to feel better. :wub:

Mary, my immediate thought was a tummy upset, or heartburn. He's trying to find something - anything - to make it go away.

Take care, Dreamer, poor buddy, and leave momma's computer and sofa and sheets alone, ok? :grouphug :grouphug

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Mary, the way you describe the "possessed" nature of the behavior, it almost sounds like an odd kind of psycho-motor seizure. ??? Could you get his attention while he was doing this or was he in his own little world? If he had been sleeping beforehand, I'd wonder if he wasn't sleep walking. Poor boy, I hope he's better today.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest jettcricket
...and he's tossing his cookies,...

GreytNut I'm so curious what "tossing his cookies" means!

The thing is,pica is a chronic thing. Dreamer has had this happen just a couple of times over several years. It's very short lived,not a whole day like it was for another GTer.

Not short lived while it's happeneing for sure,but with respect to the nature of true pica,this isn't like that,know what I mean? It lasted about an hour and 20 minutes,and wound down after he vomited (which was very bubbly).

thank you for mentioning that possibility too GreytNut. :)

It means throwing up....glad to hear Dreamer is feeling better. :)

How do you burp a greyhound?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

How do you burp a greyhound?

:rofl I just had this vision of Mary throwing Dreamer over her shoulder with a diaper on her shoulder to catch the spit up! You're such a good mom, Mary!

We've had Kelsey on Pepcid 20 mg twice daily for years so I know it's pretty benign to use longterm.

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

:rofl I just had this vision of Mary throwing Dreamer over her shoulder with a diaper on her shoulder...

oh my goodness I didn't know you had posted that, :lol

I know it's funny! :blush But you know what? I remember when I posted this before Bevd-- and I was so happy for a witness! -- but Bev said yep, she too had a dog that needed to be burped! If I remember correctly it was Bevd. :)

I really think it's a great idea. Kelsey is a burper, too, but definitely not yet fartless! :lol It makes perfect sense to me that patting would help them as much as it helps a human. Great tip, Mary!

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

Guest LindsaySF
Mary, my immediate thought was a tummy upset, or heartburn. He's trying to find something - anything - to make it go away.

That's what it sounded like to me too. Especially if he is vomiting up just stomach juices, he is probably hungry and his stomach is too acidic. Eating food of some sort helps to neutralize that acidity.

Glad he's feeling better! :)