Bodie Goes To Osu

Guest Bodie

We finally made it to OSU on Friday for Bodie's first chemo treatment. We left Thursday night after work and arrived in Columbus around midnight. Bodie had to be there at 7:30 a.m., so it was up early again and over to the veterinary hospital. Bodie got a very good report before his chemo. His incision is healing well and OSU removed the final three stitches. His blood tests were excellent. However, they wanted me to be aware that strains of the methicillan resistant staph infection, that was found in his skin culture last week, may remain despite his antibiotic treatment. Chemotherapy will lower his resistance and the staph might take hold again. Dr. McMahon told me there is a risk in this since there are very few antibiotics that can treat methicillan resistant staph and if it really takes hold, it is hard to treat. We talked over the pros and cons and it is Dr. McMahon's opinion, and mine, that the risk of the cancer cells recurring and moving into the lungs is greater than the risk of an infection, so, with my permission, she proceeded with chemotherapy.

Bodie had his first treatment at 9:00 with a drug that is given by OSU to make the body more receptive to chemotherapy. Then they have to wait four hours until they can do the chemotherapy, so Bodie had that done at 1:30 and was ready to go home by 3:00, but check-out and a review with the vets of side effects of chemo and what to look for took until almost 4:00. However, that still allowed us to get home by 11:00.

So Bodie sailed through his first chemotherapy. Dr. McMahon told me that side effects seem to appear on the third to fifth day after chemo, so we are to watch him carefully Monday through Wednesday. Poor Bodie was exhausted yesterday and hardly moved off his bed. He insists on riding in the car in what we call his "riding position" - he lays down in the back of my station wagon and rests his head on the back row of seats. However, the seats are higher than his neck, so his head points up. For some reason, he is comfortable with this, but it is hardly conducive to napping. So it's no wonder the poor boy was exhausted - he didn't get his usual 23 out of 24 hour rest! :rolleyes:

On a side note - my father came home from the hospital on Friday. They were able to adjust his low blood pressure and irregular heart rate with medication. Thanks, Greytalkers, for your prayers. He was very touched by them.

And, in the when will it all end department: I noticed yesterday (after the vet's office closed, naturally) that the cat has a slit in his leg about the size of a dime and open to the muscle. He needs stitches. There is no way I can afford to drive him the 40 miles to the nearest emergency vet clinic and pay their city rates, so I have pulled it together with butterfly enclosures and wrapped it in vet surgical tape. I'm hoping that can hold until Tuesday. The cat seems fine with that, and though he is known in the house as Tucker the Terror, he is leaving it alone. I haven't a clue how he did this, since he is an indoor cat. It just proves that there is truth in the theory: If something can go wrong - it will...

Rhonda,

Good report.

Dennis was exhausted a day or two after his chemo treatment. The only side effects he had was on the third day after the treatment he would throw up once. That was it. He did have a little loose green looking poop for a few days.

Oh, if you go to the Holiday Inn. Ask for the vet rate it was $74 plus tax. You can joint their priority club and get the extended check-out. You don't have to check out until 2 PM then. That was a lifesaver sometimes. If they say they don't have the rate available, call back. The new desk people do not always know about it.

Also figure out your schedule and make reservations for all the overnights. If you have a change you can make adjustments at that time.

Sometimes all the rooms in town are taken. Because I alway's went to the Holiday Inn, one time they didn't have any rooms but asked for permission to gave me one because they figured they would have a cancellation.

May Bodie have a long life.

Hugs,

Cora

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Sounds like a good start for Bodie, here's hoping he responds well and is with you a long long time.

For your kitty, we have had great sucess treating small wounds like you describe right at home. I flush the wound 3x a day with saline solution and iodine(sterile, you can use the stuff made for contact lenses if you want) and I put preparation H (yes, really lol) on the wound morning and night to help it close. I usually cover wounds during the day, and leave them open at night but of course with a cat, you may have to keep it covered a lot more. We've saved a ton in vet bills using this method on both the cats and the dogs.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Please be careful with the MRSA. Humans can contract it & it is very difficult to treat. Did you find out anything about his screaming when he eats?

Hope things go well for you & your boy.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Please be careful with the MRSA. Humans can contract it & it is very difficult to treat. Did you find out anything about his screaming when he eats?

Hope things go well for you & your boy.

The MRSA is not visibly apparant, in other words there is no inflammation, seepage, or open wound, and he is being treated by an antibiotic. We are careful - washing after examining stitches, etc. He is healing quite nicely. As for screaming while he eats - that stopped soon after he had his stitches taken out. The best we can figure is that when he gulped down food, he somehow stretched and pulled his stitches. We are just very glad it has stopped - both for Bodie's sake, and ours!

whoa, what a roller coaster ride for you and bodie!! hoping for a complete recovery for everybody in your family :).

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest boondog

I'm so glad that everything went well for you and Bodie. I'm also glad that your father is going to be okay. Hopefully, every thing will go as well for your kitty.

Sending good thoughts for you and Bodie. :grouphug Glad that your Dad is doing well.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest IrskasMom

Ohh Rhonda , you sure got your Hands full . Glad your Father is doing better and Bodie too. I will

continue with Prayers and good Thoughts. Hugs to you the Caretaker :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest greytmonty

Rhonda, we were away so I am just reading this. I am glad your Dad is ok and hope kitty heals up. I hope Bodie continues to do well with his chemo, it sounds so exhausting for all of you, but he is strong. I hope he can fight that nasty staph. Keep us posted and lots of hugs!