Missing My Missy

Guest Mark

Guest smeghead_666

Two Weeks ago My family and I left for a holiday, thie first for 3 years, My sister in law was staying at our house and looking after our 3 Greys and Benson the ageing Labrador. 48 hours into the holiday in the middle of the night the mobile rang. Missy our 7 year old Greyhound had hurt herself running down the garden decking and could not move her back legs. 3am and still half asleep I get my sister IL to ring the vet and get a home visit. 4am and I am driving my way home from 220 miles away, stupidly driving after an evening in the holiday park bar. 4.25am coming to my senses and stopping in a car park with no petrol or petrol station in range still hung over. I returned to the holiday park and rand a good friend to help, he imediatly set off on a 440 mile trip to pick me up. Meanwhile a kennel hand and a very good friend from Missy's old racing kennels came to our house to leiase with the vet and keep me informed. 9.30am friend picked me up and took me home. Vet says give it 24 hours and see how we go, when I arrive Home I managed to contact a Greyhound vet and he also made a home visit, but all he could say was give it 24 hours.

The next 24 hours were over too soon with no improvment. I knew the options were limited and the decisions hard. and a further trip to the vets confirmed my very worst fears. Broken back.... Boken spinal chord... never walk again... The kindest thing to do...... Good bye Missy.

That is the facts, Now the reality :

It is so easy to list the facts above as some kind of report but my feelings are harder to type. Did I do enough, could another vet make her better, should I have left her with my sister in law, was It my fault.

I feel like my world has ended and I cannot even talk about Missy without breaking into tears for my beloved friend.

I do not think even my wife realises how much she meant to me, she was the one greeting me at the door after a days work, lying with me if I was ill, even just staying with me if I had had a bad day.

The biggest change in my life over the past 5 years has been my love for Greyhounds, Missy then Cassie then Nessie, 3 bitches 1 Lab and a whole house full of love. What more could a person want. But now without MIssy I feel a huge part of me is missing. 32 Kilo's (a very big bitch) of my Missy is gone.

God I pray thay she understands why I decided to lay her to rest and is at peace knowing that we all love her with maybe the exception of the Hedgehogs she brought into the house for a swift visit.

Sleep well my Missy, gone but never forgotten.

April 1999 to August 2007

post-15412-1187833005.jpg

I'm very very sorry for your loss. I wish there were a magic cure for the pain of mourning... Missy's picture is lovely.

Though I do have to say you've chosen an... interesting... username. :unsure:

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest smeghead_666

Thanks Aimee, Yes I am sorry for the name but it has stuck since school and a certain english sci fi sit com. There is a better photo of her on www.rodrace.co.uk as most of the people that visit my fishing website knew Missy.

For 5 years I have volunteered as a Grey rehomer and although we have been informed of the passing of one of our dogs it has never affected me so much as the passing of one of my own. The feeling that I let her down in some way at the moment is huge. Even tho every vet I have spoken to in the past 2 weeks say the same thing, that it was the kindest thing for her.

I think that until you loose a loved pet like my Missy or Your Sissy some people do not understand it is a family member that has passed away.

Sissy looks like a wonderful girl and I am sure that you miss her too. I have always been told and truely believe that Greyhound people are the kindest, Warmest & loveing people in this world. When we re-home our Greys we tell people that 2, 20 minute walks per day are usually enough unless you meet another Grey owner..... then you may be a lot longer.

Thanks for your reply and warmest regards

Mark, Benson, Cassie & Nessie

I am so sorry for your loss. Many of us here know and have experienced your every emotion. Please know that Angel Missy is running at the Bridge with our Angels. She is just a Rainbow away. Godspeed...:grouphug:f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest how888

My heartfelt sympathy to you and your family. It is so sad to go through all of this but I'm so glad you found our site so you can get all the support you need. We are on here day and night. Just know she is Somewhere Over The Rainbow, just waiting for us all to meet again one day. Godspeed Missy. Find my Howie, he will keep you good company.

Thanks Aimee, Yes I am sorry for the name but it has stuck since school and a certain english sci fi sit com.

Red Dwarf fan too, eh? :lol

Thank you for your kind words about Sissy. Last Saturday marked one year since we were robbed of her by cancer.

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

What an awful loss. I'm sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest smeghead_666
Thanks Aimee, Yes I am sorry for the name but it has stuck since school and a certain english sci fi sit com.

Red Dwarf fan too, eh? :lol

Thank you for your kind words about Sissy. Last Saturday marked one year since we were robbed of her by cancer.

Yes Red Dwarf is my king of humour, but would rather be a Lister than a Rimmer. :rolleyes:

This is the first time I have been able to expess how I feel about Missy's passing and have felt great comfort from the reply's to my first post. The thought that Sissy, Missy and many other Greys are running together is somehow very reasuring.

I really dont know what it is about Gray's that makes them and their owners so special, Many dog walkers in the UK just pass each other by without a word or a nod, but with my girls (Cass & Ness) another GH owner will stop and chat without fail and before you know it you have another friend.

Warmest regards

Mark & Girls

Cassie "Cas Cas", Nessie "Noodle" and Benson "Benny Boo" will never forget "Missy Moo Cow" Apr 1999 - Aug 2007

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm so sorry. I know it's hard, but give yourself time to grieve - losing a loved one is like losing a part of yourself.....it takes time :grouphug

Guest bowiebears

I feel for you, my friend.

I've lost 2 beloved hounds over the last 5 years, and there are times when it takes all my control not to weep over my Angel doggies. Sandy and Arlo were such blessings to us. And now their physical presences are no longer with us, aside from their ashes enshrined in the library.

It's hard to imagine when our adventure began with greys in 1999 that they would take up so much of our hearts. And when we have to let them go, the hole seems abysmally deep and uncrossable. Yet somehow, the light does eventaully break through....

Give yourself time. Grieve and mourn the loss of a deep love unlike any other. And rejoice in the realisation that that love still continues...both in your heart and mind, and in reality.

One day we will all be reunited at The Bridge!

--Isaac

Guest SoulsMom

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry1

Please don't second guess yourself. It could happen to anyone at anytime. The hardest thing about love is when you have to let go. I'm sure Missy is frolicking at the bridge, once again whole and happy. Now, send your Daddy a sign sweet, beautiful girl.

Mark, I am so sorry for your loss. Missy was so beautiful and clearly had a strong bond with you. We have lost four dogs to illness in six years and it has always been the hardest in the first few weeks. Then all the wonderful memories of your shared time make it easier to laugh and cry and heal at the thought of the special times you shared. Always missed and never forgotten and held in a special place in your heart. May you find comfort for your heartache and know we are all thinking of you.

:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest SusanP

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been going through a lot of the same since we lost our 11 year old Simon 4 weeks and a day ago after her front legs stopped working very suddenly. I start thinking what if I'd waited one more night, would she have been magically cured by morning? (no). What if I'd put her through exhaustive testing/separation from us ?(I do know what she'd have had to say about that!) I ask myself why I didn't realize earlier that something was going on? (the vet believes it was something neurological, and there were signs, but we began treatment conservatively and missed the boat). I can drive myself crazy this way and hurt myself over and over.

But in my better moments, I look at the photo of my Simon girl with her happy, smiling face and know that I gave her the precious gift of a loving home for the last 4 years of her life. She knew she was loved, and she trusted me not to let her suffer, and I know I didn't let her down. I hope you can find some peace in knowing you prevented your girl's suffering and saw her safely through this life and into the next.

I don't imagine it's exactly the same for everyone, but for me, the first 2 weeks were the hardest. I'm not hurting as much now at 4 weeks. The pain will go away, and the doubts, too. PM me if you need to "talk".

Edited by SusanP

Guest whatahound

I am so very sorry for your loss. You made the only choice that you could for Missy. I hope your tears and saddness quickly changes to smiles every time you think of her.

There is another star in the sky, her name is Missy.

:bighug

So sorry for your loss.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sending gentle hugs.

Rest well, pretty girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.