Ls-how Bad Does It Get?

Guest csusan

Guest csusan

I am new to greytalk. I have a 11 year old (Butcher or Butch or Butchey boy) who I adopted from Greyhound Friends of North Carolina when he was 7 yrs. They are a rescue kennel. He was a return who was extremely ill and almost died. They think it was E Coli. Anyway, he was at the kennel for over a year before I adopted him. They said he had inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBS) related to the e-coli episode. He had very few bowel accidents at first which I assumed was related to the IBS. He always had an unusal gait which I assumed was old age. The bowel incontinence grew steadily worst over the last few years. I did all kinds of diet changes which sometimes seemed to help but the incontinence returned. He is extremely bowel incontinent now and has no clue when he needs to go. He is not bladder incontinent. I have just found out he has LS. I took him in to the vet because of the bowel incontinence and his difficulty standing or getting up. He had the Depo-Medrol injections and they lasted about a month and then we started him on the tramadol. I can't tell that it is helping much. He goes this week for more injections. The vet said we could do them every 2 months. Currently he has difficulty standing in one place. He will slump in the rear end and cross his back legs. He can get on the couch but has a difficult time getting off. Frequently, he can't get up from laying down and tries to get his back legs to move and they don't seem to cooperate. So much so that he will look back at them like why aren't you moving. He has a hard time getting up the two back steps which aren't steep. He will start toward them, back up, start forward, may even put a foot on the step and then back up again. It takes him about 3 or 4 tries to get up the steps. I think he has gotten much worse over the last few months. He can still go for a walk and can still lift his front legs and slap them down when excited. He is very alert and mentally still very with it.

Now to my questions. Bet ya'll thought I'd never get there. I wasn't sure how much information people needed to be able to post a response. How do I know when its time? What does LS look like at its worst? Does his symptoms sound really bad or do ya'll think he still has time? How quickly has it progressed in other dogs? My guess is he has had this since I got him. I don't want him to suffer. I know he is in some pain but of course I can't tell how much. I just don't know how advanced his LS is. The vet doesn't seem to hopeful and indicates we are trying to keep him comfortable.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Guest KennelMom

If he's not responding to the injections or tramadol, I'd possibly consider something other than LS or try acupuncture. Our LS boy responded beautifully to the injections for a while, but the last couple haven't really done much (they worked for about a year). We manage it with tramadol and he's doing OK. I can definitely tell a difference if we forget to give him his tramadol in the morning.

Kelsey hasn't had to start taking meds yet (no indication of pain) but has great difficulty on getting up from a lying position and flops down when she tries to lay down. We try to not let her have access to the sofa when we're not around to supervise so she doesn't hurt herself and she's used to her beds on the floor. She has slipped on the 3 steps coming off the deck so she is now carried up and down most stairs, especially those not carpeted.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I think that when the quality of Butcher's life comes into question, when that spark goes out of his eyes and the weariness doesn't leave them, you'll know. I hope that day is very far away for you and that you have many cookies and hugs left to share. :bighug

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

I had a foster dog with LS (he got adopted by a wonderful family :colgate ), and his is pretty bad. He was a return to our group and if he stands his rear end sinks until it's pretty much on the ground. He does better if he's walking briskly or doing his version of a trot. He's been getting the depo-medrol injections for about a year now. Even with them he's no where near 100%, but for him he's good. When his shots wear off he starts really dragging his back feet & crossing his legs. He gets the shots about every 2-3 months.

Most people freak out when they see him, but he goes outside, eats, torments the cats at his new home and is totally spoiled. Even though he can't always get around his mind is totally there and he thinks he's fine.

We tried adequan injections and water therapy, but neither seemed to make a difference.

His family feels as long as he's getting some improvement when he gets the depo-medrol they're going to keep him on them, even if they only last a month or two. It does take him 2-3 days after getting an injection before there's visible improvement.

Good luck!

Kelly

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Guest vahoundlover

Acupuncture has done wonders for Boss, he goes about every 6 weeks now. I would also ask the holistic vet about herbs, we use Hind End Weakness and WOW!! What a difference.

Guest whatahound

Someone recently told me there is a vet at Friendly Animal Clinic Guilford College that does Acupuncture. If you are in the Greensboro, NC area.

Prayers to Butch.

:grouphug

Acupuncture has done wonders for Boss, he goes about every 6 weeks now. I would also ask the holistic vet about herbs, we use Hind End Weakness and WOW!! What a difference.

I'm an advocate of alternative/wholistic/complementary medicine for my dogs and myself. I would love to hear more about this "Hind End Weakness". What's in it, where did you get it, etc.? Two of my bridge dogs had weak hindquarters as they aged -- neither was actually diagnosed with LS, but I have to wonder. Anyway, I always file away stuff for future reference and would love more info on this product! :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest vahoundlover

I'm an advocate of alternative/wholistic/complementary medicine for my dogs and myself. I would love to hear more about this "Hind End Weakness". What's in it, where did you get it, etc.? Two of my bridge dogs had weak hindquarters as they aged -- neither was actually diagnosed with LS, but I have to wonder. Anyway, I always file away stuff for future reference and would love more info on this product! :)

...our holistic vet has put him on several different herbs at different times since last fall, I'm not aware of being able to buy them on line, health food store etc...she dispenses them just like a prescription medication... they have really helped (I was skeptical at first) now I'm a believer!

Guest smarthound

We had good results with acupuncture treatments. There is an excellent article on the Greyhounds Only website about LS (Cauda Equina). It was written by a local veterinarian who combines alternative therapies with Western medicine. The article discusses the syndrome, treatment options and guidelines for home care.

You can find the article on the newsletter page of greyhoundsonly.com. It's in the Spring 2006 edition.

http://greyhoundsonly.com/frameset.html

Hope it helps.

Guest csusan

Thank you so much for all your information. I no longer live in NC and am living in small town in SC on the coast. Very conservative here. There are no homeopathic vets here. I had one in Charlotte, NC when I lived there. I think there is an acupuncturist here. I wonder if others with dogs with LS have tried acupuncture and if it was successful. I have two other dogs and both have major health issues so money is an issue and I have to try and spend my dollars wisely. I have a german shepard doberman mix that is 12 1/2 and I did acupuncture with her for hip dysplasia and it worked well. Used it for my other greyhound for wobblers syndrome with no success and even did gold bead implants with her but with minimal success with that. So any additional information about the success of acupuncture and LS would be greatly appreciated. He does get relief from the injections it just doesn't the 3 to 6 months. I will check out greyhounds only and the hind in weakness. Thanks again.

Guest smarthound
Thank you so much for all your information. I no longer live in NC and am living in small town in SC on the coast. Very conservative here. There are no homeopathic vets here. I had one in Charlotte, NC when I lived there. I think there is an acupuncturist here. I wonder if others with dogs with LS have tried acupuncture and if it was successful. I have two other dogs and both have major health issues so money is an issue and I have to try and spend my dollars wisely. I have a german shepard doberman mix that is 12 1/2 and I did acupuncture with her for hip dysplasia and it worked well. Used it for my other greyhound for wobblers syndrome with no success and even did gold bead implants with her but with minimal success with that. So any additional information about the success of acupuncture and LS would be greatly appreciated. He does get relief from the injections it just doesn't the 3 to 6 months. I will check out greyhounds only and the hind in weakness. Thanks again.

You may find the Home Care Guidelines in the Greyhounds Only newsletter article helpful. Plus it won't cost you anything. I know how these medical expenses can add up so I was happy to have suggestions for things I could do on my own.

Good luck with your pup.

Edited by smarthound