Grr - The Stella Toe

Oh Carolyn..how frustrating!!

No advice....Bounty just broke his never took the time to dislocate them!!

:grouphug for all of you!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Stella is at work with me right now, and she is not happy about it :lol

My vet opens in 7 minutes.

Thanks for all the replies and Thankx Marc, I am good, just frustrated with yesterday's shenanigans. ON further reflection, because I like to give the vet credit that he would have known if it was still dislocated I THINK what might have happened is vet looks at it, pronounces it in place but nail twisted, vet leaves and sends tech in with instructions to cut the nail back. Tech picks up paw and cuts nail, I don't know if he told her why she was doing that, so she quicked her, did two cuts, I am pretty sure when Stella saw the second one coming she tried to pull her paw away, probably re-dislocated it then. Vet never came back in to check again.

But I am just taking a wild guess

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Okay I am back at the office and Stella is still at the vets :(

My vet said 'is this what it looked like when you took her yesterday' yes. She said it is clearly not in place and she can't believe they said it was okay. So as I figured she wants to x ray to make sure it isn't fractured if it is not then she needs to sedate to reset as it is strongly out of place and has been for at least a full day.

I am really annoyed about the vet from yesterday.

Plus my face is frozen from the dentist :lol which isn't doing much to improve my mood.

I know a toe isn't a big deal compared to the serious stuff so many are facing so forgive my whining please, I just don't like to see my girly in pain and I also am just annoyed that I took her to a vet, stressed her out and subjected her to some extra pain yesterday all for nothing.

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest greytexplorer
I know a toe isn't a big deal compared to the serious stuff so many are facing so forgive my whining please, I just don't like to see my girly in pain and I also am just annoyed that I took her to a vet, stressed her out and subjected her to some extra pain yesterday all for nothing.

$60 ain't nothing in MY book! :lol:blink::angryfire

Yeesh, have you given the other vet a call? I certainly would to tell them that they should have their head examined... ok, not really, but at least tell them that they were wrong and because of that, Stella has been in pain.

Sending scritches and a cookie for Stella. I hope she feels better now.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Okay I am back at the office and Stella is still at the vets :(

My vet said 'is this what it looked like when you took her yesterday' yes. She said it is clearly not in place and she can't believe they said it was okay. So as I figured she wants to x ray to make sure it isn't fractured if it is not then she needs to sedate to reset as it is strongly out of place and has been for at least a full day.

I am really annoyed about the vet from yesterday.

Plus my face is frozen from the dentist :lol which isn't doing much to improve my mood.

Well, a little bitty toe can cause a lot of problems - been there, done that... to the total of $1000. :lol

Anyway, sounds like your vet has a good game plan. Don't know what planet the other vet was on though! I would definitely make sure they wrap her this time and leash walk only for a while. Her ligaments are probably good and stretched out, and it'll take some time before she's out of the danger of redislocating it (been there and done that too!).

Good luck.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Thanks guys.

I picked her up last night and my vet said that she had sedated her and put the joint back in place and taped it to the next toe for stability then bandaged up to above the knee. I have to go back on Thursday for a bandage change. She also told me she was sending me with Clindomycin. I asked why I need antibios for a taped toe and she said did you notice that sore on the side of her paw. I said yes I did and she said that it is exposed bone :eek :eek At this point I just blurted out "OMG that was there when I took her in how the @#$# could the other vet have missed this" and she just said "I don't know but she is going to be fine"

I emailed the other clinic and am awaiting a response.

Stella had a hard time coming out of the sedation, she was loopy most of the night, wouldn't eat, staring at nothing with her ears up, whining etc. I felt so bad for her. I slept on the couch by her bed so she wouldn't get confused and be all alone. This morning she is her normal self, waiting for breakfast, snarfed her antibios down with some PB etc.

She is not happy to have the bandage on and is being Diva Dramatic about it, goose stepping.

Thanks to you guys for letting me vent and a big thanks to Batmom and Pam who were online just when I needed them.

Edited by Mystella

Exposed BONE?? Yeeowtch! :eek: I'd be mad as hell at that "e-vet" too. :angryfire: I'm glad she's feeling better this morning. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest SillyDog

I'm glad your vet knows what she's doing! That's so scary that the other vet 1.) didn't recognize a dislocated toe and 2.) didn't catch the exposed bone. Hope she's on the mend & continues to feel better. And I hope you get your money back from the first vet. If this had happened to one of my dogs, I'd think seriously about reporting the first "vet" to the Canadian version of the AVMA. He either needs to take some refresher courses or needs to be barred from practicing on live animals.

Edited by SillyDog

The bone was exposed?! That the other vet missed it is outrageous. Glad to hear Stella is feeling better (goose stepping not withstanding)

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

That is outrageous. Poor girlie. But Jack says to tell Stella that she can get very good treats witha wrapped up foot if she just looks bravely pitiful!

100_5287.jpg

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Awww, give him another cookie, look how cute he is!

Stella has a pink bandage they would make a great photo duet :lol