Deramaxx Experience?

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

I called the vet back this afternoon after Cougar was violently shaking after standing on leg that had stitches put in yesterday afternoon. I picked him up this morning. He's pretty pooped, but at first I thought it was stress, but then I began thinking it was pain. Any experience with Deramaxx? I'm getting ready to give him a piece of a tablet.

Thanks.

TT

Edited by TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Thank you. The food thing was my very next question. They have already cut the pill up so he is just part of 100mg.

TT

He'd probably need a 50 mg dose to be effective, and definitely give with food and Pepcid. I've had greys with osteo who have done well on it, and one that had GI upset within a day, so we changed meds. Many more prayers for your baby boy. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest lmackenzie

Izzi is on deramaxx right now (we are about to start weaning her off) - she gets half a pill I give it with breakfast. Usually wrapped up in roast beef, cheese or the latest is a chicken vienna sausage scooped out a bit for the pill. Then she gets her kibble. She has been doing fine. Stool is good - Natural Balance Duck & Sweet Potato with turkey neck replacement meal thrown in once or twice a week.

I have seen a real difference with the deramaxx. she had an undiagnosable limp on her right front leg. not os x-rays clear won't wince at palpations...post deramaxx she isn't limping at all now.

Word of warning to me from my vet though - the deramaxx also has an aspirin like quality to it. I was told to stay far away from the doggy aspirin if she was on deramaxx.

No problems with it. When I've used (short-term), just gave after a meal or with a good handful of treats / slice of bread.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My sister's grey ended up with a GI bleed after about a week. I'm not sure if she gave with food or not. But after being treated, she did continue with it (Zoe has cervical calcifications, and has chronic pain), and she has been ok. However, after a time, her renal and liver function labs did rise.

Carol

Edited by RyanUOP06

The vet gave Beau a script for Deramxx after his leg surgery and it really helped him throughout his recovery and kept him comfortable. I gave it with his food only. He did well with it. He is sensitive to a lot things and did fine with it.

That's all I was concerned about.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Thanks for the responses. I ended up not giving the Deramaxx, but had a much better piece of mind since I had it in the house over the weekend. Cougar had a rough Saturday, but he got his appetite back and spent 99.9% of the day lying down asleep. I figured the pain was only unbearable after he had stood on it a few minutes as this is when he displayed the violent shaking in both his rear legs.

He was much better by late last night and today after church he came bounding out of his crate close to normal. He was back up on our bed today and was even cockroaching. I'm supposed to take the wrap off today so we will see how the stitches are healing, but he is feeling much, much better.

Tara, Coach and Cougar