New To The South!

Guest mcolville

Guest mcolville

I just moved to Atlanta from Toronto and have a question for all the southern greyhound owners. There are a lot of bugs down here! When I was out walking my greyhound, Dillon, I accidently stood on a fire ant hill while he was peeing! I got about 10 bites which are really itchy but luckily Dillon didn't get anything. It left me wondering what would happen if he did. I have heard that greyhounds are somewhat prone to bug bites because of their thin fur and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a 'greyhound bug repellent'??

Welcome to the south! :)

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to repel fire ants other than to get rid of their mounds. If they are in YOUR yard, you can sprinkle food grade diatomaceous (sp?) earth, which isn't harmful to the hounds, but it will get rid of the mount. This also helps with fleas and other ground bugs. You can also get beneficial nematodes and spray them over your yard to eat the bug larvae.

As for walking your hound, not much you can do besides watch out for those fire ant mounds!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Yep, that's me! :):lol Off topic with you, but I would love to see Dillon in his new collar if you get a chance!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

The main rule for fire ants, do not stand still for any length of time in the grass unless you look carefully around you.

A lesson I forgot last April when I returned south after a year's absence. An earlier lesson learned from fire ants--it is possible to run and strip at the same time. :lol

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

I'm so jealous! We just moved to PA from SC (and we are sooooo homesick!). Anyway, we didn't have any bug issues with our greys (actually in the 4 months I've lived here I have found more ticks on my dogs than I ever found when we were in the south). I'm also not aware that my dogs were ever bitten by fire ants ( and I certainly got bit a few times). Hopefully you won't find any problems with the bugs either!

Good luck!

Kim, Silver and Holly

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

I'm so jealous! We just moved to PA from SC (and we are sooooo homesick!). Anyway, we didn't have any bug issues with our greys (actually in the 4 months I've lived here I have found more ticks on my dogs than I ever found when we were in the south). I'm also not aware that my dogs were ever bitten by fire ants ( and I certainly got bit a few times). Hopefully you won't find any problems with the bugs either!

Good luck!

Kim, Silver and Holly

The ticks up here REALLY are miserable! I'm constantly pulling deer ticks off of me :rolleyes::blink: . I frontline the dogs religiously, so they don't have much issue. However, I really am tempted at times to frontline myself...... :blush

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest rosebudd

Hello I am from charleston sc and the mosqitoes are BAD and so is heartworm so make sure that you are diligent about giving them the heartworm meds. The fire ants just watch out for because if the dog gets into a big bed without you knowing it could be bad for him. what out for big spiders brown recluse are posioness (sp?) :blink: (alittle too much wine for me tonight :P ) the heat also make sure you always have some kind of shade and water, try not to take your hound out in the middle of the day its too hot for humans let alone them. The pavement and sand gets real hot also. For you watch out for palmetto bugs they are big coakroaches that can fly at your head :blink: they are kinda gross but they are everywhere and everyone will have at least a few show up in their house. I am trying to remember everything I went through lol hope this helps. :colgate I am jealous by the way I miss home so much I am in Groton CT and it sucks. :angry:

Edited by rosebudd

I live in Charlotte and driving Maddie and I next month to CT to see my parent. i am not looking forward to being on tick patrol while up there. Usually I am out in hte fenced yard here in NC with her as she likes to eat stuff (poop included) dig and roll around in the grass, umm maybe grass is not such a great word as my grass is dead. More like dust bowl. so I watch her like a hawk to make sure she is not gettiing into something that she is not supposed to. Plus she likes me being out there so she can practice with her nerf football as college football season is coming up - she loves to get the ball but not give it back. we are working on it thought. Also with me cutting the grass weekly I usually am aware if we have an fire ant mounds etc.

Welcome to the south. I lived in atlanta before moving herre. Hope you enjoy, The summers are hot but the winters are mild (at times) we did have some snow and ice when I was there.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest meandmygreys

Welcome to the south :welcome Home of the seed tick and where July and August are the "Offical stay in your house in the A/C months ! "

If we'd of dropped seed ticks during the Viet Nam war...everyone would of been so busy picking ticks...no one would of died....Where I live..there have'nt been many fire ant hills...my friend from Texas says there's a ton of them there.......We have hardly any snow and 10 of the 12 months are wonderful..!! :colgate

Welcome to GT and welcome to the south! Try not to worry too much about the bugs with respect to your dog. As Rosebudd mentioned, the most important issue is to treat year-round for heartworms. My guess is that you didn't have to worry much about that in Toronto but mosquitoes are possible here even in the winter, since they hatch out with any little bit of warmish weather.

Chances are that your dog will quickly learn to recognize fire ant mounds. If you've got a yard, I'd recommend treating for them--I've tried the live-and-let-live approach and I've got the scars to prove it. :lol: Use the state extension service for help in figuring out the safest effective ways to deal with various pests. In SC the extension service is at Clemson University and I think in GA it will be University of Georgia. Since SC and GA are neighbors you could just refer to bugs.Clemson.edu. They've got great fact sheets on pests, gardening info, cooking and canning info, etc.--choose the "Insect Information" link.

The times that fire ants cause serious injury and death are in very young/old/sick creatures who can't get away from the stinging swarm. A few bites will be painful but generally nothing to get too worried about.

Lucy

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest 2Greys2luv

Hi, and WELCOME to the south! I am a transplant from the Midwest and will never go back. I do not miss driving, walking (falling), shoveling snow at all. Plus, your skin will thank you for the humidity!

As far as fire ants go, just keep them out of the yard. When you are walking your dogs they are moving and the ants will stay off of them. I don't think that you can actually kill them, but you can keep them away from your pets.

Oh, and get used to people talking to you. If you stand in any line anywhere you will make friends here. It took me a while to get used to that, but now I love it and get offended when I go up north. I forgot about the don't speak rule while in line for the restroom in KC last Christmas and starting talking to the women around me. They looked at me like I had a third eye!

If you get tired of all that Atlanta traffic, come on and visit us in Augusta, home of the Masters golf tournament, and bring your houndies to run with us at the park.

Guest mirthlesstroll

Welcome to the South! We lived in Florida, near Destin, for 4 years. Found out the hard way about those fire ants-my then 2 year old son stirred up a nest with his finger, and got upwards of 2 dozen bites in about 3 seconds :yikes:yikes I got the ants off his arm with the garden hose. Our pediatrician told me to put a paste of baking soda & water on the bites to stop the sting. It works very well( I, too, stood on a fire ant nest :blink: twice :blink::blink: ). Just don't let the dog lick it off, as it is very salty & I think it would make the dog :puke .

Guest rosebudd
Hi, and WELCOME to the south! I am a transplant from the Midwest and will never go back. I do not miss driving, walking (falling), shoveling snow at all. Plus, your skin will thank you for the humidity!

As far as fire ants go, just keep them out of the yard. When you are walking your dogs they are moving and the ants will stay off of them. I don't think that you can actually kill them, but you can keep them away from your pets.

Oh, and get used to people talking to you. If you stand in any line anywhere you will make friends here. It took me a while to get used to that, but now I love it and get offended when I go up north. I forgot about the don't speak rule while in line for the restroom in KC last Christmas and starting talking to the women around me. They looked at me like I had a third eye!

If you get tired of all that Atlanta traffic, come on and visit us in Augusta, home of the Masters golf tournament, and bring your houndies to run with us at the park.

OMG I so miss southern hospitality!!!!!!!!!!!!! NE is full of snobby people except the greyhound community here, they are my new family especially when my hubby is away to sea. :colgate

Guest Oh_Greyt

Welcome to Atlanta!! Where in Atl are you? We're just north in Smyrna...

I would STRONGLY recommend heartworm prevention for your greys, and a flea/tick prevention as well. We only use Frontline every 2-3 months and that works fine for us, but heartworm must be given each month year round down here.

Side note - 2Greys2luv, I just moved from Evans! I go visit about every 2-3 weeks. Do you ever go to the greyhound run on Sundays?

Guest MomofCash

Welcome to the South!

I'm in Louisiana - the fire ant is our state bug ... :lol

I'll tell you a little story since you're from Toronto. My hubby moved here from Mississauga, he was born in Brampton. When the weather started getting warm, the fire ants started coming out. I guess he had never seen them. Now let me say that before he got here, my yard was like golf greens ... it's my favorite hobby ... :)

So I get home from work one day, walk in my back yard and see all these brown spots on my beautiful manicured lawn. I look at him like ** ? He says "I got 'em baby ... I poured gasoline on all of them and burned 'em all"

:huh:huh:huh:huh

Needless to say, I didn't let him take care of the fireants anymore.

The scary ones are not the mounds, it's the ones that just sit and crawl on the grass after a good rain. Our little girl learned the hard way and let's just say I quit counting at 42 bites on her little body ... :(

Make sure you keep them on heartworm preventative. The red ants have never bothered either of my girlies, so hopefully they'll leave yours alone too.

Oh BTW - my hubby says that after living here, he'll never go back to TO.

And yeah ... people talk to you everywhere here. It's something I have to refrain myself from doing when we're walking the streets of TO where his parents live and I'm saying "Hey Ya'll ..." ... :)

Guest 2Greys2luv
Welcome to Atlanta!! Where in Atl are you? We're just north in Smyrna...

I would STRONGLY recommend heartworm prevention for your greys, and a flea/tick prevention as well. We only use Frontline every 2-3 months and that works fine for us, but heartworm must be given each month year round down here.

Side note - 2Greys2luv, I just moved from Evans! I go visit about every 2-3 weeks. Do you ever go to the greyhound run on Sundays?

I went to all the runs until they moved them to 8AM! Whew! That's too early for me on a day when I can sleep in. :colgate

Guest mcolville

Thank you all for getting back to me! I'll keep him on his heartworm med. for sure! How far is Augusta from Gwinnett County? (I could look it up) because I'll make a long drive if theres any good greyhound time. In Toronto where I lived we had "greyhour" every Sunday where the park was reserved just for greys! I miss it and I'm sure Dillon does too. I'm looking for any kind of greyhound get together in the area!!! Any recommendations?

Guest Oh_Greyt

It's about 2 hours for us from Smyrna to Augusta for me... The greyrun there is at 8am on Sundays... I'm trying to get a few grey people together here in Atlanta (I'm so surprised we don't have one already!!) to have regular runs - if enough are interested maybe we could talk to the county to "reserve" the park (there are a few new parks in Smyrna, so it might not be that hard since they just opened, and one that opens next month). Feel free to email and we can chat about this - I've got a few people interested already. Stef1916@yahoo.com

Guest scfilby

Welcome to the south fellow Canadian, we relocated from Winnipeg to SC and now we are in Birmingham AL. What we've found the worst is the fleas. A good flea bath and mothly preventitive helps a lot.

Guest MomofCash
Welcome to the south fellow Canadian, we relocated from Winnipeg to SC and now we are in Birmingham AL. What we've found the worst is the fleas. A good flea bath and mothly preventitive helps a lot.

Be careful with flea shampoos with Greys ... :)

The ticks up here REALLY are miserable! I'm constantly pulling deer ticks off of me :rolleyes::blink: . I frontline the dogs religiously, so they don't have much issue. However, I really am tempted at times to frontline myself...... :blush

I'll have to give Frontline a try. It isn't so bad checking my white dog but my black one is another story!

DH and I have had fun waving and speaking to people here when we are out walking or driving through the neighborhood. We have gotten some strange looks. (We just moved from SC to PA). We sure miss that Southern Hospitality!

Kim, Silver and Holly

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Guest UGAKarlandBrook

Hi and welcome to Hotlanta!!!!!!! (was in Augusta this weekend) ...

We definitely use Frontline Plus for flea/tick and Interceptor for heartworm.

Brook