Worms

Guest DorasMom

Guest DorasMom

Morning everybody,

Is there one med that covers all types of worms? I brought Coach home three weeks ago. Picked up two, three day doses of panacur on my way home with him. I checked his poo last night and there was a worm in it. It was about an inch long and very skinny but after looking at it for a couple of minutes it became really flat. Yes, I actually studied it because I remember someone posting pics of the nasty things but I can't find them now. I think it's tape but don't know for sure.

Drontal

Ditto. The Panacur seems to work well for hookworms, not sure about the other one's though.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

You need to take the poo sample to the vet who will get you the meds. Get the right stuff not OTC which is generic. They most probably give you Drontal which I do not believe can be obtained OTC

Tape worms usually shed segments similar in size and shape to a grain of rice (one of my cats got tapeworm from time to time). Tapeworms are most often spread by fleas infected with tapeworm eggs. The cat would get them from rabbits he hunted. Other dietary "excursions" could result in infection as well.

I use Interceptor for heartworm, but it also controls roundworms, hookworms and whipworms.

edited because I can't type

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

That would be a tapeworm. Panacur doesn't kill tapeworms, you need Drontal for that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tenderhearts

My vet uses the panacur paste (technically for horses) for larger breed dogs to deworm for tapes. I've used it successfully with Randy and Biscuit (my old newf mix). They get 1/3 tube a day for 3 days and it's much cheaper than the drontal tablets. :)