Hot Spot?

Guest wrldruler

Guest wrldruler

George keeps chewing on one spot on his body. It is on his side, near his back, near where the leg joins his body. I only notice him chewing on it at night.

I've looked at the spot and see a scab or two, but nothing looks inflamed.

The vet says it is probably a OCD habit or maybe stress-induced. She said to wait 2 weeks and see if he still does it. Then we'll re-evaluate.

Last night I rubbed the area and got his "thumpin spot" going -- he started to move his leg as if he was helping me scratch it. Leads me to think that the area is itching him.

Should I be concerned and try to treat it? Or wait 2 more weeks?

Thanks,

Chris

Any fleas at all around? Any other itchiness?

You could try bathing the area with a mild shampoo, rinse well with cool water, gently pat dry. If he really picks at it a lot, could try smearing on just a dab of Cortaid cream (or similar -- human anti-itch cream); I put it on, then distract the dog for a few minutes with ear noogies or something, so it has a chance to take effect before he tries to lick it off.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest xraychick

My mutt dog buster gets hot spots. He licks and licks and scratches one area. The vet usually just gives us some meds, gives him a shot of cortisone and we put oinment on the spot for about a week. it goes away. I dont know why he gets them. Maybe he has allergies. but i think its just OCD. He gets bored and all he has to do is lick and scratch himself. he lives with my mom. My other cat does that to. my vet called it pshycotic licking. Its pretty standard..a cortisone shot, meds and ointment. and it usually goes away.

Did the vet prescribe anything to put on it or any medication? I would not wait two weeks, he could have a full blown infection by then. Did the vet do a skin scraping?

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest wrldruler
Did the vet prescribe anything to put on it or any medication?

No.

Did the vet do a skin scraping?

No

I would not wait two weeks, he could have a full blown infection by then.

Exactly why I am seeking a second opinion.

Thanks!

Chris

Guest Destiny

Most hot spots spread like wildfire. They are usually are very oozy. If it is a true hot spot, then you want to dry it out. Gold Bond medicated powder works wonders. Also you can dab Listerine on it first and then apply the Gold Bond.

Sugar had stress induced hot spots when I first got her, made worse because she would not leave them alone. She was checked by a dermatologist, and had one spot that was caused by a fungus (I think, its been 4 yrs :colgate ). For the rest, the only thing that stops her from licking is EMT gel.

A couple things have worked for us with hot spots.

#1. Cortaid cream after a hot washcloth

#2. If spot is wet, scabby and itchy- a little bit of Preperation H (Vet told me to do it) to help dry it out. Use only if the Cortaid cream is not working.

#3. Vet gave an antibiotic spray combined with a "No Chew" or "Bitter Yuck" spray that worked until the taste was no longer bother some.

#$. The new winner-It is an antiseptic oil-Mercurichrome or somesuch that smells like menthol, non-stinging, and kinda soapy. It has a little bit of Lidocane in it to help the itch and pain and dries things out nicely.

The big thing with your pupper is to figure out if it is a true allergy or stress hot spot, or if it was a bug bite that turned into a bigger itchy boo-boo because of the chewing.

Is he chewing/licking any other areas obsseively?

Guest greytmonty

I agree with lots of the advice you have gotten. It is very easy for these scabby areas to get infected and that makes them TWICE as itchy. Please have the 2nd opinion maybe from a derm vet who will see if there are infections. Also that vet can get you a mild steroid spray.

Did the vet prescribe anything to put on it or any medication?

No.

Did the vet do a skin scraping?

No

I would not wait two weeks, he could have a full blown infection by then.

Exactly why I am seeking a second opinion.

Thanks!

Chris

Good. Let us know how he is. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg