Big Scabs From Nowhere

Guest auforygirl

Guest auforygirl

My girl just forms scabs usually on her tummy sometimes on her thighs or shoulders or lower legs. It has been happening for a long time. They aren't from any injury or what not there isn't any bump there before hand and they are about the size of dime and then they fall off and she doesn't bleed. If I try to peel it off (the first few I did) she would bleed and they would reform. So is this normal? They are almost always the same size, shape, color, and texture and are higher than normal scabs. She doesn't seem bothered by them no licking, scratching, or whatnot. Should I have her checked out? Is this a sign of anything

It's a sign of something, but *I* sure don't know what! I hope you can figure it out, though. I'm mostly responding to bump it for someone more knowledgeable to see!

Good luck!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest greytmonty

I would let a vet check it out and maybe test for infections. Monty gets scabs from scratching himself and they can get infected.

Sebaceous cysts? Turbo used to get one right near the base of his tail. I'd never see the cyst, just the scab afterwards. Eventually it stopped coming back.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Sebaceous cysts? Turbo used to get one right near the base of his tail. I'd never see the cyst, just the scab afterwards. Eventually it stopped coming back.

Probably not if they are bleeding. When a scab on a sebaceous cyst comes off it usually leaks white pus like stuff (thicker though).

Original poster: The scabs, are they really smooth and when you pick them off (or if they come off) does the spot underneath the old scab bleed like crazy? Do they look so dark that they almost look like ticks (except you know they aren't b/c they have no legs)? Both my dogs get those from time to time - always in the same spot and they do eventually go away. We've never found out what causes them.

Guest auforygirl

They do look a lot like really engorged ticks but no legs and head. They aren't smooth though they are bumpy. The spot will bleed I don't know if crazy is the right term. She is 5 I started noticing them when I first got her she gets like 1 at a time usually and some time in between but this month she has had like 3. They usually occur in the same spot on her chest but not now she has 2 on her thigh.

hum reminds me of the things my old boy (dont tell him that) who is 13. They are usually pretty small. If i pick they bleed like nothing elce but leave them alone with in 2 wks gone. they come up from no where. my vet said no issue but not sure if yours are the same

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Just to be on the safe side I would have the vet check the spot out. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

You say this has been going on for a long time?

I would definitely take her in to the vet to have it checked out.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest sunshine123

Save some time and look for a Vet that specializes in dermatology.

I made to many Vet visits for a chronic ear infection, until I found a dermatologist for my pup. :colgate

Guest rememberingSadi

Sounds like it could possibly be a staph infection? Like the others have said, have a vet check it out. If it is a staph infection....it clears up easily with antibotics and medicated shampoo.. HTH.... :)