I Think Fritz Is Feeling Punky

There really aren't any telltale signs, I just noticed today he is looking a little skinny and just hasn't really been himself. He's eating and drinking/pooping & peeing like normal...just seems a little run down I guess. Suppose it could be the weather but he's not normally affected by the weather all that much.

Do dogs get depressed? I wonder sometimes if he feels left out...Pinky & Ace both take meds with PB twice a day and Skimmie has always got his nose in the middle of everything while Fritz stands back and watches. I make sure he gets a spot next to me in bed every night and try to pay a little extra attention to him whenever I am sitting here. Skimmie is a big attention hog so I have to put forth a conscious effort to make sure the big kids get the attention they need because they don't beg it of me like he does.

If Fritz is still acting punky on Monday a trip to see the doc is in order I think for some blood work and a general lookover. I've noticed today he's not really interested in playing outside with the others like usual...he's acting like eeyore.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

:grouphug Fritz

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Hope all is well and it's just hot-weather doldrums.

When one gets meds with PB here (or meds and then snack), they all get some. Because mom can't bear to disappoint those hopeful little faces. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SusanP

Is he due for a check-up and bloodwork, or has he had these very recently? If not, I'd go for it. I wouldn't think not giving him pb if he is used to that would make him depressed (though when we hand out pills in cheese, those without meds get an empty cheese-load here, and you might try that and see if it cheers him up and puts some weight on). It doesn't sound like your routine has changed, (but is Skimmie a new member of the pack?) so I would not be thinking about psychological causes, personally. Have you weighed him to see if he has been losing?

Guest Tenderhearts

When one gets meds with PB here (or meds and then snack), they all get some. Because mom can't bear to disappoint those hopeful little faces. :)

Same here :nod Raven gets her heart meds 2X daily, in PB. The whole gang lines up when they hear the lid come off the PB, and everyone gets a tidbittie :D

Guest Cris_M

While I hope Fritz just has a problem with the heat, I am pleased that you are thinking about taking him to the vet. Please consider just going on Monday unless he is completely better. Depression was the ONLY clue we had that Gabriel had leukemia. Granted, Gabriel's case was extreme, but IMO better safe than sorry. From now on depression will warrant a vet visit at my house.

Now, go give him an ear scritch and tell him to get over the heat and start jumping around!

Sending gentle ear scritches for Fritz :grouphug and hope to hear next week that exam and bloodwork is all good. I would have them also do a urinalysis.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

yep, I would definitely give everyone PB :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

He's seeming a little more himself today...sneaking toys outside to run around with them in his mouth. Yesterday he just kind of meandered outside like he really didn't want to be out there.

I have tried to include him in the PB time but he just licks a little of it and then walks away (he's never been much of a PB hound). Maybe I should start giving him some cheese when everyone else gets their PB. I wouldn't think something as simple as that would make him feel this way, but I made sure he got to lick my ice cream bowl with Skimmie just now :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest SusanP

Krissn, my guys like pills rolled into a half a slice of American cheese--quicker and cleaner than peanutbutter. Maybe Fritz would join in for that, if he isn't a big PB fan. Wizard, who takes no actual pills himself, is very anxious to see that the pack gets their meds on time...

Wizard, who takes no actual pills himself, is very anxious to see that the pack gets their meds on time...

too funny :lol

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)