Vomiting For A Few Days Now

Carrier has been vomiting a few times this week/past week. Here's a timeline of the events:

Last Wednesday (27) in the evening when Tim came home, he wanted to eat grass like crazy, tim let him have little and then gave him some pepto. he has done this in the past and the pepto would settle him and he would be fine.

On Thursday, he vomited some bile in the morning and some grass.

On Friday morning, he vomited what looked like a grass sausage. Obviously all the grass that he consumed earlier had just accumulated and finally he had to chuck.

Over the weekend, he was fine and then again this morning he threw up at 6am - there was a quite a bit - mostly bile but there was also some kibble and treats from his dinner and bed time snack last night (and a few strands of grass). He ate dinner at 7pm and when he puked this morning at 6, there was still some food.

At 7am this morning, he went outside and puked again, but this time it was just more bile.

He is acting fine other than this. Has had perfect and regular poops and his temp is 100.5 as of this morning.

Tim gave him one cup of food this morning, and made some rice for later today. Carrier ate it (very excited) and took a poop - that again was perfect. So the food is passing through him, but I don't understand why he would be puking so much. I know that sometimes they do this when they are hungry in the morning, but the fact that there was still some food in the vomit this morning, leads me to believe that he wasn't hungry.

I am not sure if I should bring him to the vet or just monitor him since he fine otherwise. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

eva

If he were continually vomiting I would worry. I know grass is supposed to make them vomit but some hounds like to snack on it and that could be making him sick. I'd stop the grass eating and see what happens. If he's keeping down water and only vomiting once every other day I don't think he'll get dehydrated. Feed him something easy on the tummy for a couple of days and stop the grass eating and see what happens.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest SillyDog
If he were continually vomiting I would worry. I know grass is supposed to make them vomit but some hounds like to snack on it and that could be making him sick. I'd stop the grass eating and see what happens. If he's keeping down water and only vomiting once every other day I don't think he'll get dehydrated. Feed him something easy on the tummy for a couple of days and stop the grass eating and see what happens.

That sounds like good advice to me! Grass is yummy to some, but really hard to digest and it sounds like he's gobbling up more than his stomache can keep up with. It's also surprising how long grass can sit around in their stomache before making its north or south exit, so to speak. Definitely watch out for dehydration, though. Good luck!

Give him some bread at bedtime and a pepcid every day as soon as his eyes open in the morning for several days and see how it goes.

Would Pepto be okay ot should it be Pepcid? If so, how much?

I called the vet this morning, but I haven't heard back yet.

Guest greytloves

The bread really works.

I had a girl that if her stomach got empty it filled up with bile and she would vomit or eat grass and then vomit. So every night before bed she got a bone and first thing every morning she got a slice of bread.

Problems went away!

I never had to do the Pepcid thing with this set up.

I just spoke to Tim - he went home at lunch to let them out for a pee. There was puke on the carpet. Carrier did eat some rice and then wanted to go outside and threw up again. Just made an appointment to see the vet at 5:30. Wish us luck.

Hope it's nothing serious. Turbo had a similar pattern when he ate a dryer sheet. After semi-non-productive vomitting three mornings in a row, he threw up the dryer sheet. Man, did it smell NASTY.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest trevdog

This sounds similar to Dallas with her blockage, although she was very uncomfortable rather quickly. Hope that's not what's going on.

I am 99.9% sure that he hasn't ingested anything foriegn - other than the foliage in the yard - which is mostly grass. There is no evidence of him getting into anything inside and he is never home alone outside.

He is excited for food and eats it no problem, but then throws up. I am hoping since he has had normal bowel movements it's not a blockage.

Guest trevdog

That's the way Dallas was too. I had no idea she ate a small piece of foam from a toy. She was pooping normally and ate breakfast, only for some of it to come up later. The only way I knew something was wrong was she was acting lethargic immediately, kept throwing up and her tummy was tender. She was eating grass and puking up grass logs as well.

That's the way Dallas was too. I had no idea she ate a small piece of foam from a toy. She was pooping normally and ate breakfast, only for some of it to come up later. The only way I knew something was wrong was she was acting lethargic immediately, kept throwing up and her tummy was tender. She was eating grass and puking up grass logs as well.

oh man. I hope it's not the same thing. I will know shortly. I am assuming that Dallas is fine now?

Guest trevdog

oh man. I hope it's not the same thing. I will know shortly. I am assuming that Dallas is fine now?

She's better after having emergency surgery to remove it. It was lodged in her small intestine. It may have been in there a few days, but doubtful. She's on the mend now 22 staples later and a large vet bill.

Update - July 4 AM

We took Carrier to the vet yesterday evening. Vet examined him and everything was normal - gums, heart, breathing, no pain in the abdomen, temp normal and hydrated. He suspects since he has an appetite but can't keep anything down that it's pancreatitis. Vet said to bring him home, give him some pepto and fast him until tonight, and only allow small amounts of water - enough to wet his mouth.

Carrier was certainly wanting to eat as the others did, but we managed to keep him "out of sight" while they fed. He had an uneventful night and slept right through. This morning, he was hungry and you can tell he is tired. But he went out had a nice poop and is now sleeping soundly. He even chased after a rustle in the trees.

I am working from home, so I am able to watch him. We shall see what happens with dinner. If he doesn't keep it down, he will be going in to the vets in the morning for a barium xray.

He was out for a pee just now and managed to sneak some grass while I ran in to get a muzzle for him. Within minutes he puked again. Bile and grass. I feel awful, I wish I would have put the muzzle on him before he even went out - but he didn't show any interest in the grass this morning. I have a call into the vet - I am guessing blood work will be needed this afternoon. I am worried that he hasn't eaten in a few days - not sure if he is going to have to stay with the vet on iv or not. :(

Edited by LadyBailey

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest mleg2001
Hope this does the trick for him! He's in my thoughts today...keep everything down, Carrier!!!

Any food or treat changes? Have you contacted the company that makes the food to see if they changed any of the ingredients at all. US laws allows pet food companies to make changes to their ingredients they then have 6 months afterward before the need to add the tha new ingredient to their ingredient list, an example of this was Natural Balances Venison formula when they added rice protein concentrate which started the second wave of food recalls initially it was not on their ingredient list on their site. It is a bit of a pain that companies do not have to list changes righ away. EVO also made a change in their formulation at the same time as their bag change, if I had not actually read the ingredient list and noted the beef meal was not listed any longer, I would have thought the only thing that had changes was the packaging.

I am not suggesting you have ended up with tainted food(though the possibility could exist- blood work could help rule out or suggest, is something unusual shows up you may want to have a sample of food checked for toxins) but just that an ingredient may have be added that does not agree with Carrier

Sunny starts vomiting bile from corn even just a tad will get him started, I have to warn people I visit to put up their food if they are free feeders, I also has to watch him like a hawk when I was fostering as the Nutro N/C Large breed provided for the foster contains corn gluten. and if grass is available he will munch on the thicker rougher foilage when his tummy is upset to help him upchuck

Just is case you so bloodwork and get weird values relating to kidnay or liver and want to test the food

Expertox in Texas started offering to test samples sent in from private individuals whose pets were sick or died, their finding a lot more problems than food companies and the FDA will admit to

http://itchmo.com/read/update-on-consumers...g-food_20070701

http://www.accutracetesting.com/poison_tes...p?ad=itchmo_sky , you could probably contact the guelph veterinary about testing but ask what they test for using the accutrace site for comparison if you decide to go that route

I you feed food by Natura Pets (innova, EVO etc they already have hired an independent lab to test every singe batch they make for the chemicals listed in Accutraces site, so it is safe, this site provides info if other foods companies have testing done,

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/petfoods_pg1.htm

Hi Maria,

Thanks for the info. Carrier (and all of ours) are on Candidae and have been for quite a while. We started a new bag over a week ago and it's almost done, so I don't think that is what has triggered it - although, I can certainly get in touch with them and ask if they have had any change in ingredients.