Patton's New Name Is Dyson!

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

We've been fighting a bum leg over the past several years with Patton. First, let me say, he's a VERY happy boy, with no distress, lots of comfy beds, lots of sticks (rawhides) to chew on, and lots of toys. He's always had a limp, so he's compensated while running (he pushes off with his good leg,) and walks with therapaws. He's always been the first to beg for a walk, and run like a maniac at the bark park. We've fought corns on that foot, but have also believed it was a muscular problem. We have a very grey-savvy vet who has always been a bit puzzled by his leg.

Over the years, we have watched his level of 'exuberance' dwindle a bit. Not as much running or zoomies in the house, and not as much playing with Sherman. :(

However, we finally noticed a corn has reappeared on his foot (on the bum leg) and after much consideration and discussion with our vet, we decided to amputate the toe. (We already tried homeopathic methods with no luck, and corn removal surgery and the corn returned.) The limping was worse, and he stopped using that leg/foot completely. We had to do something immediately.

ANYWAY, a week and a half after toe amputation surgery, Patton's a nutcase. We're back to the spinning, jumping, running, zoomies, and exuberant behavior. He's a new doggie!

I may now have to do some training! :) Nothing's slowing him down!

I'm calling him Dyson, since the money I had earmarked for my new Dyson went to his foot! :)

:rolleyes:

Edited by Shermanator

Guest Tenderhearts

Glad to hear Patton is back to his exuberant nutty self! :clap :clap :clap :clap

You really didn't need that Dyson right now, did you? ;)

Guest Shermanator
Glad to hear Patton is back to his exuberant nutty self! :clap :clap :clap :clap

You really didn't need that Dyson right now, did you? ;)

:) Ugh, the amount of animal hair in this house.

Hee hee hee.

I'll live in the fur to have my old 'Cheesy Peesy' back.

Guest Cris_M

Dyson's are cool, but they don't do zoomies or bring a goofy grin to your face. Sounds like Patton's foot is really a much happier investment.

Can you make dog hair into a decorating motif?

Guest tricolorhounds

I'm not that crazy about my Dyson... I'd much rather have a happy dog... Glad Sherman is feeling better.. :yay

That's wonderful news!!!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Snowy8

You're story had a good & funny ending!

I'm glad he's doing so good. Pain can distract both a person & a dog from having a good life.

Guest Shermanator

Almost 2 weeks post-surgery update -

1.) Patton's ATTITUDE has returned - he somehow can figure out any piece of food that has his meds hidden in it, and will refuse it. He'll actually turn his nose up at me. Knucklehead.

2.) He's almost putting full weight on it.

3.) He's got the ZOOMIES! (He hasn't had them pre-amputation for a long time.)

I have a question - I am noticing he will limp -completely hop, favoring the foot he had surgery on, after laying down for awhile. Could that be because he's simply stiff?

I'm so glad you got a "new" doggie!!! (I've lost track, but if you don't already have one, I have a half off Dyson's form)

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

A Dyson -- forget about it -- go for the dog every time.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Guest Shermanator
I'm so glad you got a "new" doggie!!! (I've lost track, but if you don't already have one, I have a half off Dyson's form)

1/2 off Dyson! Ooooh, please! I had just made the decision to buy the 'Animal' one. Then, Patton's foot became an issue. Of course, the money I had earmarked for my new Dyson, went to my sweet baby boy. :)

Burpdog -

Thanks, that's what I thought. That is the leg we have had trouble with lameness for so long, he has lost some muscle tone. We are hoping the underlying corn was the reason behind all the lameness. (All xrays, etc are clear on that leg and side of his neck- whew.)

Guest VelvetEars

I wonder if they have "phantom pain" like humans can sometimes have. It also could be some residual swelling or stiffness that's worse after laying down and needs to be "walked off".

But glad to hear he's doing well otherwise!