Blastomycosis

Guest MaxGreys

Guest MaxGreys

Yesterday our 5 year old Cayenne was positively diagnosed for Blastomycosis. I would like to share her story....

Monday June 11th we take Cayenne to the vet, she has discharge in her left eye. We get eye drops and use for 3 to 5 days. By Friday the eye is looking better and we stop using the drops. Sunday her eye starts in with the discharge again. Monday, the 18th I am back at the vet with Blueberry and mention that Cay's eye was looking good but it has discharge again. Vet says use drops again and if not better in 2 days, bring her in. Tuesday I get home from work and there is a cloudy haze over her left eye. I take her back on Wednesday after work and she is not responding to light, things coming at her eye and her eye pressure is 30 to 33. The vet can not find anything foreign in the eye that would be causing the swelling and pressure. We are referred to an opthamologist vet and DH gets Cay in Thursday afternoon. After extensive testing of the eye, the word Blastomycosis comes up. They ask DH if we live in a new home development, no, our home is over 50 years old, but they are tearing up in front and behind us with water main improvements. DH gets several drops for Cayenne's eye and he is of to see our regular vet for a chest x-ray and a blasto antigen test. The chest x-ray does reveal a few suspicious spots on her lungs, so a blasto antigen test is done. Friday I get home from work and Cay's eye has really swelled up, call vet and get another eye drop, something for pain and bring her in on Saturday. So last Saturday we had to make the decision to put Cay through a procedure to aspirate fluid from behind the eye. They warn us that the procedure may permanently damage her sight, but they are confident the sight in her left eye is already gone. They also told us if it is indeed blasto, the treatment period is long, 9 to 10 months and can be expensive. They give us an estimate for the visit, lab work, meds and procedures, $700. So they leave the room and let us decide what to do.

Since Cayenne is our 'passion girl' as we call her, we decide to fight for Cayenne with passion. The ultrasound comes back positive, Cayenne has permanently lost her sight her left eye, the eye is damaged and sight will not be restored. On to aspirating fluid from behind her eye. The vet found suspicious cells in the fluid and is sure Cayenne has Blastomycosis. Cayenne is prescribed Itraconazole 100 mg 3 times a day and we are told to shop for it as it is a very expensive med. We leave the vets office 4 hours later saddened with the news of Cayenne losing her sight in her left eye. I talk to my good friend Trish and she offers to make some calls for me on prices for Itraconazole. Ready for this.... 90 capsules, a 30 day supply $574 at Costco, $648 at Wal-Mart and almost $800 at Meijer. DH and I are floored, how are we going to afford this? Trish calls back, online from Canada $209. OK, still expensive, but a little bit more doable. In the mean time the vet calls my cell, she called another vet that was an intern there and she knew her dog had gone through Blastomycosis. She said there was a 2 day supply in the office and she gave me the info on a cost saving pet pharmacy in AZ. So we go back for the 2 day supply knowing how expensive the meds are. Monday I call the pet pharmacy in AZ and for 30 days, $70.20!!!!!! I have the meds sent overnight. Then back to the opthamologist vet on Wednesday for a recheck, Cayenne still has high pressure in the eye, but she is opening it more and seems to be getting some spark back. She has a recheck on July 7th and the opto vet feels with almost 2 weeks of Itraconazole, Cayenne should show some overall improvement.

Yesterday, we got the results back on the blasto antigen, it was positive. Our vet said we are very lucky to have caught the blasto so soon, he feels very positive that Cayenne will make a full recovery. DH and I are extremely greytful to our most awesome vet and the opto vets for suspecting blasto and getting Cayenne on treatment. DH keeps saying, Cay is a sight hound, how is she going to manage with one eye? So far, she is doing greyt, she bumps into things on her left side once in a while, but Cayenne is the 'passion girl'.

Thanks for letting me share Cayenne's story. We have several more months of treatment and many more visits to the vets, but we made the decision to fight for Cay and she is so very worth it!!!!

Hug your hounds!

Patty

I added a link on Blastomycosis from the U of W-Madison school of vet med.... http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/pbs/courses/blasto/intro.html

Edited by MaxGreys

Sorry to hear about the illness but glad to hear the prognosis is good. Keep searching online for the meds. Be wary of the Canadian site....make sure it is the exact same dosage and the exact same drug.

The $300 drug I got for my horse (first bottle from vet in an emergency) costs $185 at KV Vet.com. I found a cheaper Canadian version but the percentages of ingredients was not the same as the US version. Check with your vet before buying.

Good luck!

Hi Patty,

Sorry to hear about your girls problem. You can tell your DH that there are dogs that race with vision in one eye. She will do fine once she adjusts to seeing only out of the one eye.

These dogs are tough and adapt to just about anything.

Yikes, so sorry to hear about this dx, but thank you so much for posting about it. You gave us some valuable information and insight on a little-diagnosed, little-known illness. (Well, in CT anyway, I guess. Phew!)

Thank you for sharing Cayenne's story. We all learn from each other. Sending lots of :getwell wishes for your girlie.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Thank God the doc thought to check for it. Many prayers for successful treatment!

P.S. Once she adjusts, she should do just fine with one good eye. IIRC KennelMom's Scout raced -- and has lure coursed -- with only one good eye, and she isn't the only one.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MaxGreys
Sending many prayers for a successful treatment. Blasto is a nasty thing.

She will do fine with one eye. My Dand had use of only one eye and you couldn't tell. They adjust well.

Cayenne getting Blasto is the first I have ever heard of this nasty fungal infection. She is doing ok, eating right now is a challenge, we are lucky if she eats 1 1/2 cups of kibble a day. We are adding whatever tempts her taste buds to eat. DH has been scrambling an egg and today we picked up some goodies at the store to add. Chuck white chicken, broth, granola and a sauce made by Iams and a few others tempts. The vet said let her eat whatever she wants, as long as it does not effect her tummy.

As for her adjusting to sight in one eye, it seems she is getting the hang of it. Yesterday she bolted of the back door with Airborne and Blueberry to go out. And she is opening her eye a lot more. We are taking the kids to the dog park later and I am bringing my camera, so I'll post some pics of Cayenne.

Best thing we are seeing, her tail wagging in circles a little bit more.

Thanks all for the well wishes :)

Patty

Guest MaxGreys
There were a few Dobes many years ago in TN that got it.

Glad to hear her tail is wagging :)

Have you tried boiled meat or rotissere chicken?

Yep, meat and anything we can to keep her interested in eating. I have not tried a rotisserie chicken yet. Maybe a trip to Costco is in order today!

This morning I shared my breakfast of eggs, sausage and wheat toast with Cayenne. Spoiled greyhound!!!!

Have a greyt day :)

Sending prayers for Cayenne. :hope She will adjust to the blindness just fine. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest MaxGreys

Update on Cayenne.....

Went to the opthamologist today, her left eye is open more with less swelling, but the pressure is still high. The right eye is still showing no sign of the Basto, thank God! Overall the vet feels Cayenne is doing well, but reminded us that we have a long road back. She will go back in a month for recheck. Next week I have to take Cay to our primary vet to check her weight on their scale and he wants to see Cay too. And Cayenne is eating a bit more, about 2 1/2 - 3 cups of kibble a day plus her goodies. So her appetite is picking up too!

This morning we had a moment with Cayenne that let us know our girl was coming back, she was walking around with a stuffy before breakfast. Since getting sick, Cayenne has not picked up one stuffy. So her carrying around her frog this morning was greyt to see!

Thanks again for all the prayer and well wishes. Hug your hounds!

Patty

Guest Snowy8

Well I see the price of the medication hasn't gone down...my mom's irish setter mix had it, gosh...1984? And the pills were $1.00 each...my sister got them thru the hospital she was working for at the time for about 50 cents each. Trish, the setter came through with flying colors & lived to be 17 if that's any consolation.

I am so sorry you're going thru this.

Prayers continue for Cayenne. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

• 5 months later...
Guest Hattiemae

May I have the contact information for the discount pet pharmacy in Arizona? Thank you.

(MaxGreys, I tried to p.m. for this information but your inbox is full.)