Help Please... Strange Behaviour

Guest Jordan7

Guest Jordan7

Hey! Well we finally got our greyhound - had him a week now and he's been brilliant up until last night.He usually sleeps all through the night but was awake at 3am last night.

I took him on his morning walk and he was eating grass which he does not normally do... and his stools have not been as firm as usual. He even tried eating one of the house plants this afternoon.

Wehn we took him back from his lunch time walk he was a bit restless.. this is not like him as he usually goes straight to bed.

Now he's doing a funny thing with his neck every time he swallows... as if he's trying to be sick but is stopping himself. We're really worried because he is usually pretty laid back and happy but today he does not seem himself at all.

Can anyone realate to any of this? Should be worried??

Thanks,

Jordan and Iain :unsure

It sounds like his tummy is a bit upset - my guys all eat grass from time to time, and Romi does the fake vomiting thing too. Could be do to with changing foods, or just the stress of being new to your home and all the learning. Just keep an eye on his stools, you may need to switch to a different food if it gets worse.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest SoulsMom

I'm not an expert at all . . . . .I've been volunteering for 2yrs, but in November I finally brought my first home. Based on my experiences, if it's only been a week, he's just getting used to his new environment. You'll be amazed and how much his behavior will change in a few months . . .now that he knows he's finally home.

I'd keep an eye on the tummy upset, could be something simple, but better safe than sorry . . . .Soul pooped, peed, and puked everywhere his first week here. I just kept an eye on him and chalked it up to nerves and a change in food.

could he have eaten something that is stuck in his throat?

What I wondered, too. If you feed a slice of bread, sometimes that'll carry whatever's stuck (such as a piece of tickly grass) on down with it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Jordan7

Thanks for the coments guys, I suspect it was a false alarm and that is was probably down to getting some grass or something stuck in his throat. It stopped once he calmed down a bit.

Jordan

Guest Jordan7

hey, well Trevor is doing much better today. He slept with us in our bedroom and didn't wake up until 9am!! He seems to be back to his usual self - took him out for a walk and met some other dogs in the park, including another greyhound who he was desperate to play with!