Oliver Hurt

Oliver was "digging' his fluffy dog bed and went a$ over end, yelping. Limping on front paw. Will walk on it slowly. Panting. Won't lay down. Gave him a Rimadyl and Rescue Remedy. DH is holding ice pack on it. Putting cool wet towels so he doesn't over heat.

We can hear a 'crackly' noise but we can touch him all over with no yelps.

Could it be broke without him yelping? NOt sure if we can get him in car to evet?

What to do?

eta: he's nearly 13.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greytmonty

OMG Ducky I am so sorry. I have no advice but I hope Oliver is ok. We loved having him as our SS and Monty and I send lots of hugs.

Guest Tenderhearts

Oh dear! If he's walking on it, I doubt there is a broken bone. Is there any swelling yet? I know you said DH has an ice pack on it.

I am so sorry this happened! :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

If it were my dog and he settled after the rimadyl kicked in, I'd wait till the next day. If not, I'd opt for the e-vet.

Yikes!! Is there any swelling? I would take him to the vet - could be torn ligaments or dislocated. Is he bearing any weight at all? :grouphug

Ooops! I thought you said you COULDN'T touch him with out yelps. I agree with DeVon. Let him settle down and see how he is in the morning.

Edited by lisad

DeVon he finally laid down. He'd been wanting to but couldn't.

No swelling. He's had one Rimadyl and 2 doses of Rescue Remedy. Breathing nearly normal.

My panic mode is easing.

I think a car ride would be too much right now. Please let it just be a strain. He's trying to sleep now. He really scared himself too.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greytexplorer

evet will be there all night if you need them

Meantime---ice pack for 15 minutes (if possible) rest for 15 minutes and repeat

Give whatever pain meds you have on hand

Sounds like a really bad sprain

I don't think Oliver would be willing to walk on it if it was broken

Did you HEAR anything right before he went a$$ over backwards? My DS broke both bones in his leg just above the ankle, and everyone heard it.........

Yikes!! Is there any swelling? I would take him to the vet - could be torn ligaments or dislocated. Is he bearing any weight at all? :grouphug

No swelling. Will put weight on it. We can manuever the toes/foot/shoulder will no yelp.

Did you HEAR anything right before he went a$ over backwards? My DS broke both bones in his leg just above the ankle, and everyone heard it.........

Fluffing the bed is a nightly routine for him. He lost his balance. No cracking noise then. Listened to him more closely after my first post - crackling noise we hear is his usual creaky self.

He's calmer now.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Tenderhearts
DeVon he finally laid down. He'd been wanting to but couldn't.

No swelling. He's had one Rimadyl and 2 doses of Rescue Remedy. Breathing nearly normal.

My panic mode is easing.

I think a car ride would be too much right now. Please let it just be a strain. He's trying to sleep now. He really scared himself too.

Phew! *wipes sweat off of brow* Since he's settled and the panting is easing up, just continue to ice off and on as suggested for a bit, and call your vet in the morning.

Praying it's just a strain, and Oliver will be less enthusiastic about bed digging in the future! :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Thanks everybody. He's tolerating the ice pack. Will give an update in the morning........

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greytexplorer

No swelling. Will put weight on it. We can manuever the toes/foot/shoulder will no yelp.

Did you HEAR anything right before he went a$ over backwards? My DS broke both bones in his leg just above the ankle, and everyone heard it.........

Fluffing the bed is a nightly routine for him. He lost his balance. No cracking noise then. Listened to him more closely after my first post - crackling noise we hear is his usual creaky self.

He's calmer now.

I'm betting he'll be ok! If you're still unsure in the am, go ahead and take him to your regular vet.

Guest taylorsmom

Oh, poor Oliver!! I know how hard it is to see them in such sudden pain, poor guy. And him just fluffing his bed! Here's to hoping he settles down and has a good night. Maybe a little soreness tomorrow but nothing else!! Please let us know.

Guest greybookends

I'm Glad Oliver seems to be OK here's :hope you're right.

Now Listen up Oliver, Gracie and Pudge!! You three have been giving your mother and the rest of us to much to worry about lately :shakefinger ! Now cut it out!! Now go give momma a kiss and see if you can manage to get extra cookies out of the deal!!

How is Oliver this morning?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How is he today?

I would normally say that if he's weight bearing at all it's unlikely to be broken, but the crackling noise you describe could be crepitus, which usually means a break. It CAN mean air has got under the skin .. but it seems unlikely in this case. However, broken bones - while very painful - are not life-threatening unless they impinge on something else (like a rib puncturing a lung, or any bone fragment tearing a major blood vessel) so even if it is broken, he won't have come to any further harm overnight.

Hoping to hear good news! :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

How is Oliver this morning? Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.