Lumbosacral Stenosis In A Young (6 Yr) Dog?

Katie will be six in August, and has had varying levels of back pain for over a month now. Perhaps longer and her human didn't connect the dots early enough. 5 weeks ago, she was in clear pain and the vet suspected a slipped disc and put her on Prednisone and Robaxin. She's been off of that (gradual reduction in dosage) for a week now and while she improved somewhat after the first few weeks of meds, she hasn't regained her previous levels of twirlyness. Clearly not comfortable. (she continues to allow me to carry her up and down the stairs sacrificing my own back for hers.)

This morning she didn't want walks or breakfast. A major change for the scavenger dog who would eat plastic if it had an interesting scent and justs lives for her outings in the neighborhood.

At the vet's, Katie immediately laid down on the cold hard floor instead of mugging the tech for affection, and bouncing/spinning like she usually does. The Dr examined her on the floor and we talked about alternate ways of figuring out what was going on. We had an x-ray to rule out obvious cancer. With Katie standing up for more manipulation and testing, the vet performed the 'thumb test' from Dr. Stack's website. Katie let out a little yipe and collapsed. So, she was injected with Depo Medrol to see if that will help her. We've also put her back on the pred. According to Stack's website, we should know within 48 hours if the Depo helps her.

Although we don't know for sure that this is LS, I'm interested in whether it's unusual for this to occur in a young(ish) dog. Well, I consider her young :) I have a 12 year old with cancer who is now bouncier than Katie is. I'm hoping those shots work for her so that she can feel better and we know what we're dealing with. I really thought this was a disorder of older dogs. Any experiences here?

it can happen in a young dog. I was at a vet conference where where a demonstration was being given by Dr. Herron showing how to examine for LS. The dog being used for the demo was 4 1/2 and had just finished racing a few months previously. He showed the classic signs of LS on examination.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest crazy4greys

One of the greys in our group that is available for adoption, Charlie, who is 6.5 yrs. old, was just diagnosed with a mild form of LS. If it is LS, I suggest you find a chiropractor and/or accupunturist. It really does help. Keep us posted and good luck :grouphug

Guest Spiff

Well, Spiff (12) is certainly much older than Katie... but the depo-medrol shots have worked for him - now we're going on about 4 months since his first shots and I think we might need to get a second round by the end of the summer, but we'll see. It took a little longer than 48 hours for the improvement to really show in Spiff because he was uncomfortable from having been anaesthetized for x-rays. But within 5 days, I knew that he was able to walk much better.

I did a survey about different LS treatments a while back that you might be interested in: Link.

In addition to the shots, we make sure that Spiff gets glucosamine/chondroitin supplements on a daily basis for joint health. Now that I'm almost out of the German supplements that we have (which don't have any indication of dosage). I'm going to get some Fresh Factors joint supplements.

If Katie can walk comfortably once she's up, or really just needs some assistance up stairs, I saw a link for greyhound assistance harnesses that might be useful. But I hope that the depo-medrol injections make a world of difference for her!

Guest caiteag

You may also want to look into surgical possibilities for a dog so young. Quinn was diagnosed with LS when he was nearly 12... and I wasn't going to put him through that kind of surgery. The depo medrol shots have worked very well for him... but in a dog as young as 6, surgery might be worth considering. Good Luck!!

Yup, it's known to occur in young dogs. I think Hubcitypam's dog was DX'd at 4. BTW, Dr. Stack told me that pred will not help LS. She also said surgery is a good option if it's not too far progressed.

Hopefully the depo-medrol shot will give Katie some relief.

I would also recommend a chiropractor and/or acupuncturist.

:nod

Cynthia - let me know if you want my chiropractor's name and contact info. She's great.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Well I can't chime in on LS, just wanted to offer my support. Why do these things always come in waves?! I hope Katie is okay.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

You really don't have a diagnosis of a slipped disc, only suspected.

Here is in part what the acupuncture vet said and this is assuming you know for sure this is a slipped disc:

Diane, as usual, it depends. sometimes I have Dr. * adjust things

around the disk, sometimes the disk itself after some healing has

occurred. This is not something for a newly trained chiropractor to

attempt. I would only have someone who does a lot of chiropractic,

like Dr. ** or Dr. * go anywhere near this patient. Acupuncture for

sure. a lot of it.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Thank you all for your input and good wishes.

Meredith, the pred is to try to cover the possibility of a slipped disc if it isn't LS and the Depo Medrol has no effect. Point taken on that not helping if it's LS. And yes, please do share your Chiropractor's name. I'm hoping to find someone closer to my area, but the travel may be worth it if he/she is recommended by you!

Burpdog, my vet is leaning more towards the LS based on yesterday's exam and testing. (The slipped disc was the original suspicion when Katie presented a month ago. )

Spiff, I did find your poll when searching before posting, and found good info there, thanks! It seemed that the dogs were older, so interesting to get confirmation that younger dogs can be affected. (Yes, all of my dogs are on glucosamine/chondroiton and Fresh Factors too, so although that doesn't help LS, it should help to minimize other joint problems.) Thanks too for the tip on 'more than 48 hours.' I'm holding out hope based on that. I guess I wanted her to wake up this morning and be 'Katie' again.

She is not feeling good today, (maybe pain from the 'thumb test') but ate breakfast after some coaxing and made it down the stairs for the FEDEX guy before I knew he was there :) Hoping something kicks in and makes her feel better soon.

Again, thank you all for the input!

Cynthia

Hey Cynthia - The chiropractor is Malinda Venegas and she'll come to you :) She's out of Sykesville. I'll send you a pm with her email and phone number in a moment. I've referred her to several people and they've all been pleased with her.

Also, if you want acupuncture, Dr. Debra Canapp does it over at VOSM

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire