Felicia Has Gone To the Bridge

Guest jade1046

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Valliejo2001

It's Saturday around noon and I am numb as I post this update. Felicia crossed the bridge sometime during the night.

I went to see her around 5:00 pm yesterday thinking I might be able to take her home for the night to see if she would eat for me, as she wouldn't eat at the hospital. When I got there they said I couldn't take her home but they would bring her out so I could visit with her. Poor baby was so weak and emaciated looking - all I could think of was that she looked like all those furry animal carcasses at "Build a Bear" that needed to have some stuffing blown into them. The vet came in and said the the fluid in the abdomen was blood and that there was considerably more today than yesterday. Felicia's blood panels were still within normal limits except for the hematocrit which had dropped quite a bit. They said they had seen very similar symptoms in at least three other greyhounds - two were transfused up to four times and neither made it. On the third they removed the spleen and the grey survived and is doing well a year after. So it was decided to keep Felicia over the weekend and one of the docs was standing by to do an emergency splenectomy if necessary. They wanted to wait till Monday if possible to do any surgery since they would not get the results of the abdominal sample until then. It didn't sound good, and Felicia didn't look good so I got a little panicky and called my DH to come right over so he could see her. Right after that, someone came in and said the lab had made an error and had switched Felicia's samples with another greyhound's. Felicia's hematocrit was actually back up to the normal levels. So now they are really baffled and are reconsidering doing surgery at all until the other blood work results come in on Monday. So we gave her hugs and kisses and told her we love her and sent her back to lie down.

Around 8:15 this morning, the vet called me and was in tears. She said Felicia had passed away sometime during the night. She was so shocked because she really thought we had a little time. I had brought two of Felicia's babies (her favorite hedgie and a teddy bear) when we visited Friday afternoon and the vet said she was found with her head resting on her babies. We went over around 10:00 am and brought our other grey Minnie to say good-bye. We requested a necropsy. We were told because it was a weekend, it probably wouldn't be done until Monday. Well the vet who had been taking care of Felicia came back in the room and said she would stay and do it right away - she felt so bad about what had happened.

It's now about 1:00 pm and we just received a call from the vet. She found in Felicia's small intestine what looked like a tumor or large blood clot which had ruptured and bled out. She feels this was ultimately the cause of death. She also mentioned thickened "angry" tissue around the area and in the pancreas. She said this may have been brewing for quite some time, but there was no way to know. So it makes me feel a little better to know that it wasn't something obvious that was missed and even if they had done exploratory surgery it may have been too late. We're still going to see what the lab has to say about the blood sample - whether there were any cancerous cells - but I declined to have the tissue sample analyzed. I know all I need to know for now.

So when I can think clearly I will try to post something in the Remembrance forum. Felicia was only 5 years old and we've only had her for about 9 months. A piece of my heart is missing now but I feel confident we gave her everything we could in the short time she was with us. Run free Sweet Felicia - we love you!

[/quote

I am so very sorry.

:f_white:f_pinkf_yellow:f_red

• 3 weeks later...
:cry1f_yellow:grouphug

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound