Today Would Have Been Major Turn's 12th Birthday

nancy14

Major Turn - 179 Races - Adopted and finally loved at age 5 and 4 1/2 months.

I tried so hard for Major Turn to live for his 12th birthday, but it wasn't to be. That evil, horrendous big "C" grabbed him away from me. I say me, even though Maj belonged to my husband and me, because, in reality, he was definitely mine.

When the phone rang late in May of 2000, we did not want another dog. We had just lost our beloved greyhound Barko the day before and the tears were still flowing and the last thing either of us needed was another dog -- or did we! It was the adoption director from Geneva Lakes who had heard about Barko's passing. She apologized for calling so soon, but she had a very introverted, shy dog that she could not find a home for and she thought we might be able to "bring him around." For some reason, we agreed to go and look at him...

There were two dogs in the adoption office when we arrived -- one outgoing and friendly; the other sitting on the bed, pasted up against the wall wishing he could disappear. I knew immediately that the handsome black brindle boy against the wall was Major. I sat down next to him and talked with him, gave him scritches and he licked my hand. That was it. I remember a woman in the adoption center said, "I like that dog." "He's very handsome." I said, "You can't have him, he's mine." We immediately filled out the paperwork and Maj came home the next day.

Shy wasn't the word. Terrified was more like it. He wouldn't move from his bed without me getting the leash. Outside, if the birds chirped, he was up on his hind legs and then pulling me in a low croach towards the door to go in. If the frogs croaked, it was the same thing. Don't even talk about a stranger trying to be nice to him. That's another story. It was months of love and patience before he settled in and would even stay in the room if company came. Maj was a lot of work.

Was he worth it? You bet he was. He turned into my best friend and confidant. My heart boy. My love bug. Mine! He was never without a stuffy in his mouth -- the bigger the stuffy the better. He gave loves and kisses and took up most of the king size bed. His best present in the world was his little sister, Carla. He was devoted to her and even took to June Bug when she arrived. He liked to lick her ears.

I will miss my boy until the day I die. I have no doubt that his spirit has "jumped into" another shy dog, somewhere, to help him cope with life........ I sure wish I knew where that dog is.

Be free sweet boy. Play at the bridge and don't be afraid. Your mom will always love you.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Reading your story -- Major Turn's story -- makes me sad and happy all at once. Feel so fortunate that I got to meet him and see that he really was every bit as handsome and unique as his pictures.

Sending warmest hugs.

Happy Birthday at the Bridge, unforgettable fellow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Happy Birthday Honey. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

He is gone from this earth, but not from your heart. Close your eyes.

Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen, they are present with you.

St. Francis de Salles

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What a wonderful tribute to your precious Major Turn.

Run free sweetie, you have nothing to be afraid of now.

:f_red:gh_runner:f_red

Hugs,

Carla

Edited by Carla

Guest kristijewell

Oh, Major Turn, you lucky boy to have had a life with Nancy! I hope that where you are now is filled with a different stuffy every day. Nancy, I'm so sorry for your loss of that precious boy. May you find peace. Give your girls a hug for me; I know they're missing him, too.