The Old Ones

Burpdog

I posted this last year in November and thought I'd pass along my feelings again.

Seniors are special. Most have been returned after living in a home for 5 or more years. Some have problems, some do not. Just like the younger ones. They are confused--they don't know why, after many years, doing nothing wrong, they have lost their family and are back in the kennel. No soft bed, no loving when they want it. Some constantly look for their family to come back and claim them. Some are sad. Some are depressed. But they are all greys that will blossom with love. They appreciate being taken from the kennel and returning to a home. They adjust. Most improtantly--the LOVE with a passion that only someone who has adopted a senior can understand. Some are arthritic and require chondroitin, MSM and/or glucosamine to be comfortable. A senior food, vitamin E, the aforementioned supplements and that's it!

Of the nine seniors I have had over the last three years, Jodie was the only one that required a special diet and monitoring.

Some people say that the seniors won't be around long enough. When that is said, I remember my Great Dane that I lost at two years of age. I had waited 13 years to get another Dane and lost her so young. You never know when.......

If you haven't loved a senior, you don't know what you are missing. If you can at least foster one and write about him or her, it would give them a better chance for adoption.

The love of a senior is very special :)

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Thankyou for sharing this. DH and I would love to adopt a senior when we're in a position to add another dog to our family. Bless you for taking care of them.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Well said, Burpdog!

We adopted Tiger this past January. He turned 9 in September. He had been returned to the kennel twice, once due to a divorce and the second time by an irresponsible mother who let her toddler torment him and then got angry when he growled.

He is the sweetest, and most loving of all my dogs. He already knew all the things the dogs right off the track had to be taught when they first came home. He's a little arthritic, and has to be coaxed to go on walks with the others, but turn him loose in the fenced yard and he runs and plays like a puppy. I wouldn't trade him for a dozen young ones.

Some people say that the seniors won't be around long enough.

Who can put a number on what "enough" is? When you're willing to open your heart to a greyhound and love them fully through all their ages, it is still profoundly painful to lose them, no matter how old they live to be. In June, I offerred to foster little Shari who had bounced from homes twice, no fault of hers, and immediately fell in love with her. She became permanent within a couple of weeks. :P She'll be 13 in Feb., and has been such an incredible source of joy (still plays with stuffies and pounces on bonies), deep love :love2 , and companionship. She's my one grey that is NOT a bed hog! I help her up on the bed, she cuddles in and is quiet all night. :angel Every day with her is special, and I truly cherish all of my greys more because of her :wub: From my experience with her, I would gladly take in many more senior greys. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Agreed :) I almost don't dare to mention this yet byt *said in a whisper* Del came here on 21st Jan and was thought to have a few weeks...

We're approaching his first gotcha day......

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Thanks for posting, Diane. I had tears in my eyes as I was reading. Seniors and returns...they need a loving home and you'll never outgive them. Their hearts and their eyes are full of love and gratitude when they realize there's a nice, soft bed and they're home to stay.

Lori :heart

I love those seniors - I have two!

To be fair, Jim was a young dog when we got him, but he is probably nearly 12 now. Suze is going to be nine next birthday (March) and we've had her only a couple of months. It is amazing how quickly we have fallen in love with her, and she has become firmly attached to us.

They are both such sweet dogs :love2

I will go straight to the seniors next time we have room for another grey :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest GimmeGreys

I can't get enough of the seniors. I adopted Belle in July and she will be 12 in December. Last month, I adopted Dite who is 10. I'm sure my next dog will be a senior.

Thank you Diane!

We NEVER in a million years even considered a senior. We have been through so much with our senior poodles and losing them one by one was almost more than we could take. Having them as newborn pups and sharing life with them and then came all the illness and worry and saying good bye one by one as they grew old. So...when we adopted Flashy we asked for the youngest that we could get. We have never been sorry! Then one day last June, it was brought to our attention that a senior was in need of immediate fostering. She was 9 and soon to be 10. She was bounced as her family was moving out of state. We decided for some reason that we really wanted to foster this gal. Funny...never failed at anything so quickly before and failing never felt so good. Her eyes melted our hearts and we could not let her go. She will live the rest of her days here with us and we hope those days turn into weeks..months..and years. Lady Sophia has taught us so much about life and taking one day at a time and cherishing each day that we have together. She came to us very ill and now she is healthy and full of love and wisdom beyond her years. We also know that there are no guarantees in this life and that a young one can also leave you. From this day forward it will be seniors! This little gal came to us without an issue one and we love her so much! She and Flashy are true companions. Today; Sophia runs and plays and she has become quite a little imp and a very silly and happy little girl. She is wonderful with small children and kitty's...she is just a model senior citizen! Who could not love this gentle soul...

100fe2a70.jpg

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest kats_n_greys

Totally agree, we've promised Tilly (at least 14) that we will always have at least one senior in the house, to celebrate how much joy and love she has brought to this house.

She was bounced because her family had a baby and decided that she couldn't be trusted :huh: so looked to rehome her.

Here Here Diane I knew I shouldnt have read this thread!!! We finally made the decision long and thought out to foster agreed were ready to open our heart and our homes to golden oldies then this dumb broken ankle!! Julie at Sheya who we have voluntered to foster for has had a really big influx of older greyhounds this last few weeks to many to mention and it breaks my hearts to know we have a warm home to offer and me in the situation im in!! I hate the fact my own dogs are missing out on so much me being laid up and am doubly sad at the thought of the love we could be offering to another :(

and it breaks my hearts to know we have a warm home to offer and me in the situation im in!! I hate the fact my own dogs are missing out on so much me being laid up and am doubly sad at the thought of the love we could be offering to another :(

Lisa - you know, sometimes things happen for a reason.

It could be that if you were to foster a dog now, you wouldn't have space for that really special and needy dog that might come along when your ankle is better.

Don't beat yourself up - it's not something you can help. I bet you'd be MORE than happy to have a healthy ankle :P How's it going?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest msheldon

So very true...

Out of five hounds we've adopted over the past years, three came to us as seniors. In fact, only our last one (Wesley) came to us very young. (Tag was 4-1/2 when we got him.) And, while I love Wesley very much, I think we'll go back to adopting seniors thankyouverymuch. :)

The seniors are every bit as loving and sweet as the younger dogs, but much, much wiser.

Our last adoptee is 8. He was abandoned we think. He was found close to where I live by some kind person that took him in, only they had to leave on vacation, so they called our adoption group and I offered to go get him as I live close. He was in pretty bad shape, dirty and he had fleas, his skin was all scabby and his hair thin. As soon as I got him home I gave him a flea bath. Fed him well and as soon as the vet was open, made him an appointment. He put him on antibiotics and now you wouldnt know it was the same dog. His coat is nice and shiny though he does tend to have a scaly skin(going to get that checked). He is the sweetest boy. We called him Angus Mctavish. We fostered him for a couple of months and then adopted him about 3 weeks ago. He is very active loves to pounce on stuffies and run with our other 3 greys. We did find his original owner who very kindly sent some money toward his vet bills. He is in his forever home now.

Make a fast friend adopt a greyhound

springflat.jpg

Good post Bevd!

I had already resolved that when I ever have a space open for another it will be a senior. I'm leaning towards the senior girls actually! I've always preferred boy dogs, but the senior girls that have been kept for breeding until they are too old....it just breaks my heart. That or the funny looking ones with scars (like Kiowa) or stumpy tails, or whatever. That's the way I'm going to go from now on.

Guest Hattiemae

Whether the senior is a retired brood mom who was never in a home, or one who was bounced due to changes in their former family's lifestyle, adopting a senior is just wonderful. I feel very privileged to have the opportunity to pamper these older dogs and give them the good life they deserve in their golden years.

I agree wholeheartedly. My co-worker said she wasn't ready for a dog at this time in her life. Eventually she came to my house and met my 3 greys and fell for the greyhounds almost immediately. After several months of learning about them she decided to come to an open house. Shortly thereafter a 12 year old came into the program. He was found running loose by the local police and brought to a shelter. My friend fell in love with him almost immediately but was afraid of adopting an older guy as she felt she didn't know if she could handle the loss of a dog that soon after adoption. We talked for a bit and I told her that there is never a guarantee of long life no matter what age they are. One of the things I always mention to people is that whether you have had your pet for one year or ten years the emptiness in your heart and the tears will flow just the same. The seniors deserve the same love as the younger guys. They will find their way into your hearts and give the loveback ten fold. When they eventually pass you know in your heart you have given the love and devotion to a special dog and made their lives full and happy. My co-worker understood the message and adopted this lovely senior. He will be 13 soon and going strong. This senior helped her in ways she never thought and brought incredible fulfillment to her lonely life. He is totally spoiled and happy as a clam (how do we know a clam is happy?). Last month she adopted her second greyhound....a 2 year old (haha). She also participates in our group events and never wastes an opportunity to promote greyhounds...and the seniors.

Hug a senior dog today!!! There is a wonderful woman down the road from me who does senior dog rescue pretty much on her own. I keep in touch with her regularly and always make sure to drop off a few things for the dogs. Bless those who do such difficult work.

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire

When visiting the kennel yesterday to learn about doing some volunteering, I met a beautiful blue brindle girl who was kept as a brood mom and is now 8 years old...I'll tell you right now if I was able to adopt, she would have been going home with me, except for the fact that she has already been adopted - so of course I'm overjoyed for her! She is going to make a wonderful companion!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Lisa_n_Dusty

It's funny you would mention senior dogs. I had been put in a situation with an 11 year old mixed Lab that needed a home. I couldn't keep him with Dh's allergies. I fostered him for weeks and started losing hope that I would ever find him a home. I finally took him to an elderly lady who lost her beloved pet a year ago. Right away she said he was too old. I explained to her that you need to have the attitude that you are going to give this dog's last years his best years. No matter how old the dog is they deserve love and shelter as well as the puppies do.

She ended up taking the sweet boy on a trial basis. That was over 6 months ago!! She says he is the best behaved and the most wonderful dog she has ever owned and hasn't had a moment of regret.

Bea was a retired brood mom who was adopted and then had to be rescued from her adopters for neglect. When I picked her up to foster her, she was the saddest, skinniest dog I think I'd ever seen. She had a bad limp, wasn't strong enough to go up the stairs or take a long walk. Had her tail permanently tucked between her legs and wouldn't look us in the eyes. She acted like she'd never seen a squeakie or a stuffie before.

Now, after just a couple months, she runs and plays with our younger two, bounds up and down the stairs, has gained 13 pounds, and loves to kill stuffies and play tug of war.

This 10 year old senior girl brings joy to our hearts every day. We'll thank God for every minute we'll have with her, may it be many.

Edited by laurie

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

This was posted by Helena on another board and brought tears to my eyes (then I read it again and now I'm crying :) ) :

This poem was posted on Greyhound Fun when a member's 16 year old

hound died. I thought it was beautiful and wanted to pass it on to

others who would appreciate it.

ONE BY ONE ...

One by one, they pass my cage,

Too old, too worn, too broken, they say.

Way past his time, he can't run and play.

They shake their heads and go on their way.

A little old man, arthritic and sore,

It seems that I am wanted no more.

I once had a home, I once had a bed,

A place that was warm, and where I was fed.

Now my muzzle is grey, and my eyes slowly fail.

Who wants a dog so old and so frail?

My family decided I didn't belong,

I got in their way, my attitude was wrong.

Now I sit in this kennel, where day after day,

The younger dogs are chosen and taken away.

When I had almost come to the end of my rope,

You saw my face, and again I knew hope.

You saw past the grey, and legs wobbly with age,

And felt I deserved life beyond this cage.

You took me home, gave me food and a bed,

And gently stroked my poor tired head.

We snuggle and play, and you talk to me low,

You love me so dearly, and make sure I know.

I may have lived most of my life with another,

But you outshine them with a love so much stronger.

And I promise to return all the love I can give,

To you, my dear person, as long as I live.

I may be with you for a week, or for years,

We will share many smiles, you will no doubt shed tears.

And when the time comes, that God deems I must leave,

I know you will cry, and your heart, it will grieve.

And when I arrive at the Bridge, all brand new,

My thoughts and my heart will still be with you.

And I will brag to all who will hear,

Of the person who made my last days so dear.

Author Unknown

Helena and Hounds

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits