Bad Breath?

Batmom

Does your hound(s) consistently have bad breath?  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Does your hound(s) consistently have bad breath?

• Yes
    • No

Where do you guys get the turkey necks? I've been wanting to try them for ages. Aysa's breath is only bad if you put your nose next to his mouth, but his back teeth are starting to get stained a little. And my little dogs all need help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigerlily

sugar had plaue and red gums when we got her but she never had bad breath..couldnt believe it becuase of the gums more so than the teeth..had her dental and they are fine now, but always a clean smelling mouth..she does get a good kind of kibble and a prozyme for digestion.

Guest DorianGreyhound

The Whippets' breath never stinks and they never need dentals, even in old age. Same with the Goldens. My current grey's is not bad... but his teeth look yellow :(

• 2 weeks later...

NO!

I brush Chloe, Teddy and Polli's teeth. Beau won;t let me but he has annual dentals. We feed proplan large breed, with added missing link and pet tab vitamins. The only treats they get are the nutro dental cookies in the blue box and dried chicken strips.

I can't deal with hot smelly breath!

When we got Polli her breath was like a sewer. She had to have 17 teeth removed. Now, she has sweet smelling breath and I make sure I brush her teeth and gums every 2 days.

If it is due to the food and teeth, then what about Skylar who only has front teeth? The rest of her teeth are gone.

Her breathe smells like something died in her mouth! :puke

It's important to brush her gums so that the food doesn't lodge there. Polli just had 17 teeth removed and they were very insistant that I would have to brush her gums.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

When I got my greyhound about 2 yrs ago, he had good teeth. But he had a terrible stomach and bad breath. I didn't worry about the breath, but took care of the stomach. Testing revealed that he had SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth). Once I got that under control, his bad breath vanished.

Maybe start a new topic to get responses. But here is mine: Raw bones keep my dog's breath fresh and most of his teeth clean. Eye teeth don't get clean enough from just bones, so those should be brushed occasionally. I rarely brush my dogs teeth. I have heard that if you feed large and complicated whole prey, then even the eye teeth get clean. But my dog's raw diet is pretty wimpy.

Guest RooMomma

The dogs have kibble available all the time. They get a raw food mix 2 - 3 times a week. They also get raw meaty bones about once a week. Sparkling clean teeth, and no doggie breath!

ETA: I don't brush their teeth, and none of them have had dentals. 10 yo, 9 yo, and the GH is almost 5 yo.

Edited by RooMomma

Guest jessicaksu125

Gigi has... well dog breath. Maybe at one point I thought it was bad but I'm kind of used to it after having dogs all my life.

I found some of those dental chews in the clearance bin at Petco, she likes them, and I swear her teeth are whiter since I started giving her them. I also give her treats regularly from the Petco dog bar that claim to be good for her teeth... so maybe that's why her breath isn't that bad...

• 1 year later...
Guest eaglflyt
i'm sorry in advance for saying this, but i have to say it.  y'all that brush your dog's teeth more than once a week must be obsessive compulsive or have no job or life or something.  i know that this will offend some of you but.........the truth hurts.  i'm concerned about the condition of my dog's teeth as well, but brushing every day???  get real.

1736633[/snapback]

Wow... that's an interesting way to look at it. The truth hurts, eh? So does your dog's mouth unless you take good care of it. Seriously - brushing my dogs' teeth takes all of about 5 minutes. Get real yerself.

We all have the same number of hours in our day ... and we have time for what we *choose* to have time for. We have 6 dogs and they all get their teeth brushed ... takes me about 10 to 15 minutes. No fuss, no muss. In fact, it takes much less time to brush their teeth that it does to walk & exercise them. We want our dogs to be as healthy as possible and taking care of their teeth prevents a vast array of health problems. Our family enjoys our dogs and we *choose* to take care of them ... including their dental health. We make the time.

Here's some good info. that may encourage you to take 5 minutes a day for your dog's dental health.

Guest sorenkkg

I don't really notice... Haka is rather odorless I think, even though he does need a dental (we spent all the $ on ringworm though, so he'll have to wait a bit :rolleyes: ) and Aleeya usually has fishy-breath :lol: which I find funny for some reason. They eat duck/oatmeal and fish/oatmeal blended together, but I don't think the fish-breath has anything to do with what she eats (and he eats the same).

as long as they are healthy, I don't care WHAT they smell like!

Guest eaglflyt

Ohio State has great info. about dental health and the importance in greyhounds HERE. (PDF document)

Edited by eaglflyt

• 2 months later...
Ohio State has great info. about dental health and the importance in greyhounds HERE. (PDF document)

I read the attached article, titled "Advancements in Dental Care," a rambling four-page diatribe written by a Doctor of Vetinary Medicine. Two things struck me: (1) Despite the copious references to innovative treatments and drugs, not one word is ascribed to the benefits of RMB; and (2) the last paragraph, which states: "Veterinary dentistry is one of the fastest growing areas of veterinary medicine today. Some of the newer innovations in the field will help to keep your pet in better dental health."

In this day and age, when vets seem to be making more money than brain and thorasic surgeons, it strikes me that we are losing touch with the basics. Everything is drugs and treatments ... and more drugs and more treatments. Let's get back to basics. Animals in the wild have wonderful teeth, in large part because of the foods they consume, such as raw meat and bone, which naturally cleans their teeth. Unfortunately, feeding RMB is not a money-maker for vets or pharmaceutical companies, so it doesn't surprise me that they are not the ones who are discussing its benefits. JMHO.

My hounds eat raw food and lots of RMB. They have no problems with their breath! Their teeth look great! Is there a connection? Well, if you ask me, there is! Again, JMHO.

Edited by RWM

Guest Parsniptoast

Reg's breath is as sweet as a nut (until he's had fish) but Meg's alternates. They get bones and pig ears quite often but I don't manually clean their teeth. Meg's breath is definitely better than when she moved in - her gums look much healthier too and she has less gingivitis. They both had dentals before coming to me but really I think it's the bones and ears they eat that does their teeth so much good

• 2 weeks later...
Our girl has never had bad breath. We regularly brush her teeth with Petzlife Oral Care Gel. Petzlife really works to keep teeth clean and never any bad breath. She also gets CET Hextra chews for her oral health and she loves her Nylabone chew toy.

+1 for PetzLife Spray or Gel and CET Hextra Chews!

In addition I've found Happy Tails Spa's Dog Smog to also be quite effective. I'm actually using all three products though not generally at the same time.

I've found to get the most of out of the PetzLife products you want to use them 30 minutes after their last food and water and keep them from eating or drinking for a few hours. I generally use it at bedtime.

Guest quietstorm

I can't even imagine having to give regular dentals. That's gotta be $$$???

Zero bad breath here. Though Rudy - who just arrived - had some pretty foul breath when she got here. It's been only about 10 days and I can now stick my face to hers without worry. I have also noticed that the back teeth which were kinda green are getting scraped down nicely (we feed raw).

If you want your dogs to scrape that gunge off their teeth on their own I highly HIGHLY recommend 'tartar busters'. Here in Ontario I buy them at the Bulk Barn ($3). They are basicaLly dehydrated beef kneecaps. All the dogs here love them. The shape is such that as they get working on them, they have to really use the back teeth - thus really scraping down stuff that shouldn't be there!

Edited by quietstorm

Guest Miss_Chris428

I answered "no", but my foster boy gets bad breath about once a day... When I let him out of my sight with free reign of the house. He goes running straight for the litter box for a tasty little dessert treat that gives him some of the nastiest stank breath you can imagine. What is it about dogs and cat poop? My Dalmatian was the same way...