Bad Breath?

Batmom

Does your hound(s) consistently have bad breath?  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Does your hound(s) consistently have bad breath?

• Yes
    • No

Have the Burts Bees drops. Putting two droppers in with each water change - two three times a day - no change in dog breath. I tried putting in a dropper of them in my one males mouth - no change.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pradasmom

I dont mean to sound stupid or something but reading the posts here i see that many of you have your dogs on a "raw diet" what exactly is "raw"? how do you buy this? I dont think y oure talking raw hamburger or steak? I feed my two greyhounds purina one senior formula and my oldest hound who is 9 has terrible breath. Thanks for your help.

• 4 months later...
Guest FastDogsOwnMe

No, not really. I have one dog with bad breath, but she came to me with her mouth rotting so badly teeth were falling out. While her breath is 100% improved after a lot of expensive dental work, it's not like the other dogs which to me are odorless. I don't do dentals on my dogs. I don't need to. This one (not a Greyhound, btw, but a sighthound) was an exception- an abuse case senior who came to me in that condition. I don't give greenies or anything usually, and I don't brush their teeth. I do give lots of bones though.

Guest tbrodzel

Brynna eats Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Coat (it is fish based) so she has really fishy breath. YUCK! But I still let her give me a kiss every now and again. :kiss2

• 7 months later...

OMG....YES to this question! My hounds have a good diet...have an occasional milk bone and drink plenty of water and have their teeth brushed 3 times a week! But their breath is still horrible!!!! I use Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste (beef flavor) on their teeth and still "bad breath". I found an ad for tropiclean Fresh Breath that's available at Petco and am thinking of trying that! One of the posts above suggested using Burt's Bees Peppermint, but I haven't found that. Any suggestions?

• 3 months later...
Guest Lmw626

Yes, Two Point had the worst breath imaginable, smelled like sewage (seriously), and nothing worked. Regular brushing, brushing with an electric toothbrush, Petzlife gel, brushing with Petzlife gel, Petzlife spray, peroxide on cotton balls, greenies, raw bones, breath freshener additives to his water, yogurt on his food, different kinds of foods, and of course, full $350 dental cleanings at the vet...

I tried everything for nearly 18 months to figure it out. Finally about a month ago I switched him to Orijen 6 fish formula food and within two days his breath has virtually no oder at all.

Unfortunately, now he has eye-watering gas so I just traded one oder problem for another!! I have another post about the gas issue but so far only one reply.

Guest manawatugal

No. Dogs are carnivores and should be fed as such. Raw meat, bones, organs. Brushing a dog's teeth sounds bizarre to me, I hope to never have to do this. I've only had my dog 4 months and his teeth were cleaned before we got him. The action of tearing meat off bones and chewing removes plaque. Grains are bad for teeth it (kibble) doesn't clean the teeth as we are led to believe it just sticks like sludge over time and they barely use their teeth to eat it if you watch them. In 4 months my dog has really good clean teeth for him. I have talked to other raw feeders online who have never had dentals and have never cleaned their dogs' teeth - very interesting isn't it?

Guest Lynnada

I don't brush Socks' teeth, I give him various chewy dental treats. My favorite is bonies, they are inexpensive (compared to greenies, anyway) and make his breath smell kind of minty fresh. He has some of the enamel worn off his teeth from crate chewing, but overall the vet said his teeth look really good for a greyhound.

Guest katethegreyt

I was considering starting a thread about this, but since this dental thread seems to be pretty popular, a question:

My girl has so-so teeth for a 5 year old greyhound. They aren't great, but they aren't the worst my vet has seen. They do have a lovely beige tinge all over, haha. Her breath certainly isn't rank, but it hardly smells like tulips either = ) She gets bully sticks, trachea, lamb lung for treats, and other assorted goodies from time to time. She's on Plaque Off and gets her teeth brushed at least once a week (I try hard to do it more). She eats TOTW. I would love to feed raw at some point, but I'm just not sure it's in the cards right now. The condition of her teeth hasn't changed noticeably in the last 6 months since we've gotten her.

Anyway, does it make sense to send her in for a thorough dental and then go from there? (She didn't get one before we got her, but she may have had one back when she was first adopted out.) I was considering doing one of those no-anesthesia scalings at a local place that has great greyhound reviews. However, I then read some articles that said that type of scaling doesn't do a lot of good because it doesn't get the nasty stuff below the gum line. It was considered more of a cosmetic thing that is mildly helpful but not anywhere near as helpful as a good dental under anesthesia.

So if your dog came to you with already kind of icky teeth, does it make sense to do a good dental first and then try to minimize needing them anymore? Or can getting the top parts of the teeth looking cleaner be almost as beneficial? Can a different diet/supplement/chew/regimen really get down in there and get those teeth clean if they are already a little gross?

• 8 months later...
Guest aowam

When I first got Gable he had just gotten a dental and his gums where all very inflamed around the gumline. I think they were sore too at the time, but so far so good with the breath. His doesn't smell (at least not yet). I brush his teeth carefully every day (I am a dental hygienist after all...ironic that I got the dog breed notorious for bad oral conditions) and his gums are looking great. I think he actually likes getting his teeth brushed now, haha. Currently working on getting the insides and not just the outsides. Just like for humans, it really doesn't take that long and is great preventative! I wonder if I could work up to flossing them too...haha!!!

I had a senior foster that had horrible breath but wonderful teeth. My Holistic vet told me that anything in the mouth comes from the stomach. She suggested giving her a Pepcid in the AM. After three days her breath was perfect.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest saabqueen7

This may have been mentioned earlier and I missed it, but on FB greyhound site, many people said they solved dental problems by giving raw turkey and chicken necks, backs and feet. Apparently, this is a great way to keep the teeth clean and help breath. Some use frozen, some fresh. And it's very inexpensive. I can get most of that at Brookshires or other local grocery stores. Still looking for feet though, lol.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BlingDogs

I brush Dory's teeth every day, and give her a CET rinse when she starts to stink. Her teeth were in really poor shape when we got her, so she needed to have some extracted. We have to put warm water on her kibble so she can eat the kibble-mush. Unfortunately, her missing teeth also prevent her from eating those turkey necks!

Guest EvanstonGrey

Fika's teeth are in pretty good shape, but boy did I learn the hard way that Greenies and greyhounds (mine, anyway) don't mix - terrible Big D - and it's not just the Greenies, it seems to be all of those dental chews that really upset her tummy BIG TIME. Turkey necks all the way :)

• 3 months later...

We feed Costco Lamb with rice and vegetables together with a bit of Merrick Whole Earth wet. Our boy came to us with stinky breath and bad teeth and has had more than half of his teeth extracted - he does much better when I consistenly use enzyme spray and brush his teeth, but even though he gets an annual dental, his breath is never wonderful. Our girl came to us with nice teeth and always has pleasant breath.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Ours have pretty odorless breath. I use Dental Fresh (it's a water additive) and CET chews. Every now and then, they get chicken feet and knuckle bones. I feed Iams green bag (large breed, with the bigger kibble pieces). I think it's mostly a combination of everything that keeps their teeth and breath looking and smelling good. However, I did notice that when we went on vacation and they weren't getting Dental Fresh, their breath got a little smelly.

Never heard of dental fresh...could you tell us where you get it? Micah just had a dental and his teeth are beautiful, he gets fed California Narural and he gets carrots for treats as well as a basket of bones! But, he's still got stinky breath! Maybe Dental Fresh would help. He just had his annual checkup. Our two other dogs have the same diet and toys and no bad breath!

Guest HotNostril

Perfect breath and teeth here.

I feed Avoderm brown rice & chicken

He gets a raw frozen marrow bone every other day.

Once in awhile Ill pick up a back of turkey necks from the butcher, I also serve them frozen

on the day he doesn't, he gets a recycled frozen marrow bone filled with greek yogurt and once in a blue moon he will get one with a table spoon of penut butter frozen inside;)

Edited by HotNostril

Guest Dragon

I was thinking of trying Pepcid or something like that...Only, I've never bought anything like that in my life, even for myself. What am I looking for? I'm assuming flavorless, but are they chewable tabs or what? What aisle are they in?

raw meat and veggies = no bad breath for one of mine but the senior I adopted last year seems to have some kind of stomach issues and I think hers is related to that although she does get a build up of tartar on her incisors which may also be causing it (in spite of the duck necks I give her to chew on) and am using Petzlife to see if I can get it under control.

Edited by brit1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 2GreytsMom

My Wiki used to have bad breath but I've been using Petzlife & she's so much better... I just have to remember to put it on her teeth!