Bad Breath?

Batmom

Does your hound(s) consistently have bad breath?  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Does your hound(s) consistently have bad breath?

• Yes
    • No

Guest CygnetC
i'm sorry in advance for saying this, but i have to say it.  y'all that brush your dog's teeth more than once a week must be obsessive compulsive or have no job or life or something.  i know that this will offend some of you but.........the truth hurts.  i'm concerned about the condition of my dog's teeth as well, but brushing every day???  get real.

1736633[/snapback]

I spoke with my vet and I said "I'm a horrible person. I don't brush Wally's teeth every day" and she said "I don't either. I don't brush my dog's teeth once a week. It's just not in the schedule."

That made me feel better:)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sorry in advance for saying this, but i have to say it.  y'all that brush your dog's teeth more than once a week must be obsessive compulsive or have no job or life or something.  i know that this will offend some of you but.........the truth hurts.  i'm concerned about the condition of my dog's teeth as well, but brushing every day???  get real.

1736633[/snapback]

I am NOT obsessive compulsive, and I might not have a job but I DO have a life, and I aim to brush my THREE dogs' teeth daily. It is a lot cheaper than a dental, and for THREE DOGS it takes me five minutes TOPS.

I don't see why you feel the need to denigrate people who brush their dogs' teeth daily. :dunno:huh2

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest romansmommy
i'm sorry in advance for saying this, but i have to say it.  y'all that brush your dog's teeth more than once a week must be obsessive compulsive or have no job or life or something.  i know that this will offend some of you but.........the truth hurts.  i'm concerned about the condition of my dog's teeth as well, but brushing every day???   get real.

1736633[/snapback]

I am NOT obsessive compulsive, and I might not have a job but I DO have a life, and I aim to brush my THREE dogs' teeth daily. It is a lot cheaper than a dental, and for THREE DOGS it takes me five minutes TOPS.

I don't see why you feel the need to denigrate people who brush their dogs' teeth daily. :dunno:huh2

1737617[/snapback]

I don't brush Roman's teeth everyday, but I'd have to agree with Rascalsmom - I think it's a smart action to take for those who manage to brush their grey's teeth everyday. This is a breed which is notorious for having bad teeth. It's much easier to try and brush their teeth as much as possible as a preventative measure, as opposed to dropping $500 at the vet for a teeth cleaning and dental work...not to mention if you have more than one grey :o!

Guest lmackenzie

I was told recently - but haven't tried it yet - that uncooked frozen turkey necks are good for getting their teeth clean.

Not something you would want to serve on your nice clean rugs...but with T-giving coming maybe Iz will get one on the patio... :D

Food is sweet potato & duck. Greenies and her breath isn't too bad

Edited by lmackenzie

Willow - mega pewy breath due to gum problems. She had that problem when we adopted her at 2. Brushing, peroxide wiping and regular dentals for her.

Merlin - almost no teeth when we adopted him and what was there was still not good as were his gums. Not as bad now that he is mostly toothless. Regular dentals are a must for him as he is too sensitive for brushings...not that he has much to brush. Peroxide wipes or chlorahexidine wipes for him.

Butch...old fart with stinky breath...loves greenies and the super hard sterilized bones.

Hayley - had bad teeth from the day we adopted her but the breath isn't too bad. Dentals when needed.

Trace....5 years old with great teeth and gums. No stinky breath.

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire

Guest lat41065

The boys especially Octane have wicked breath Tessies isnt great but hers is tolerable. all 3 are having dentals next week. Seems it jsut got bad the last 3 months or so. I feed Nutro dental mixed with weight control, they get some sort of hard bone/treat several times a week and a tooth brushing 3x a week. Does anyone use a water additive for plaque control? i got some but it has a mint flavor and they wont drink the water with it in it, any suggestions for a flavorless one?

It's funny you should ask.  I recently switched Emma to Iams, and I was just noticing in the past few days that her skin is suddenly flaky and last night I noticed that her breath REEKS!  I'm going to pick another food for her.  She had been on Authority, but our PetSmart has really gone downhill recently.  I wanted to try Iams, because you can buy it anywhere, and she seemed ok at first.

1721099[/snapback]

I tried the Iams at one time too, and ended up with very dry and flakey coats around here! :(

Our 2 boys, age 2 .5 yrs. and 8 months, (adopted as pups) have beautiful teeth and no bad breath. Our off-the-track-retired-broodie foster (age 7) has dreadful teeth and gums and horrible breath. She just had a dental and we brush her teeth weekly. She is on Co-Q10 for the gingivitis, and vitamin C. Her breath is better than before the dental, but still stinky. How long until it improves? Should she be getting daily brushings? I hesitate to do this because the roots of some teeth are exposed at the gumline and I don't want to cause excesive wear on these enamel-less areas.

:yikes

My guys all have nice-smelling breath; we try to brush their teeth at least every other day, preferably daily. Sometimes I scale if they need it. They eat Diamond brand senior kibble. Some of them will eat Greenies or Booda Velvets or Hartz Dental bone, but others not or not very much. Our 5 year old just had a dental for the first time in 3 years, and his breath was not as fresh as usual before the dental because calculus was starting to build up. I think bad breath probably means teeth and gums need more attention--both professional, but also regular at-home care.

Guest Cindy_Messmore

I've used the Oxyfresh in their water, and it seems to help. My daughter thought she noticed an improvement with her Chihuahua also. There are some people on the board that sell this product. I haven't heard anything bad about it yet.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GreyStaatsmann
i've heard that burts bees peppermint drops work wonders on doggie breath. mine are in the mail! :)

1718465[/snapback]

After reading this- It peaked my curiosity, so I bought some drops(less than 5 bucks) at the herb shop. Guess what? These drops are for people too.

Of course I had to test these drops out first

:lol they're actually refreshingly good!

I just put a few drops into the water bowl each day.

I guess when moss begins to sprout from their back I should stop. ;)

Edited by GreyStaatsmann

Guest stewartt

we also used oxfresh this helps but brushing is a good practice will help there gums a lot dentel is 300.00 2 600.00 brushing cheap most grey like the brushing with the paste mine think it's a treat

Tink is on raw with occasional kibble. She gets Newman's Own dog treats regularly and raw bones on occasion. Her breath smells like roses.

I brush once a week, or after she's had kibble.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rundurosmom

Runduro's breath really knocks your socks off but we just adopted him last week and he is going in for a good teeth cleaning on Monday so hopefully it will improve :)

Guest pumpkinya
What kind of food is good for the greys raw? I have been thinking of doing this for a while but unsure on what they can't have.

1824885[/snapback]

Most raw parts are fine. Chicken necks and wings might be somewhat small for a greyhound. They tend to swallow whole and teeth cleaning benefit is minimal. And it might cause choking.

The big weight bearing bones of large animals(cows, deer etc), such as knuckle bones and marrow bones, are very hard and can not be eaten. When the dog tries to eat bones like these, they may break teeth. But if they do not attempt to eat these bones and only gnaw at it, it has good dental cleaning effect.

Salmon from certain places can cause salmon poisoning. But some say salmon frozen for a certain amount of time is fine to eat.

From my own grey's experience, I don't think greyhounds can tolerate fat very well. So if the part is too fatty, try trim off some of the fat to start with.

That's all I can think of right now.

Guest adriahna

Brick has okay breath, Desiree has TERRIBLE breath. Both eat Royal Canin, both have their teeth brushed and gauze-rubbed with Denta-Clean or peroxide at least every other day. All I can figure is that perhaps Desi's breath is part of her age (she's 9), or maybe that her previous owner wasn't too stringent in regards to regular dental care (we adopted her at 7 years old). Anyhow, I do what I can to keep the teeth clean around here.

Guest adriahna

1736633[/snapback]

Wow... that's an interesting way to look at it. The truth hurts, eh? So does your dog's mouth unless you take good care of it. Seriously - brushing my dogs' teeth takes all of about 5 minutes. Get real yerself.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Nora's breath smells like she eats poo, but we know that she doesn't! I'm not sure why it's so rotten. .... She eats Nutro Max, and gets lots of veggies on her dinner and some yogurt on her breakfast. We brush her teeth about once a week . . .maybe daily is a better idea!

My question is, will they willingly eat Tums?

*******************************************************************************************************************************

(I'm not sure why this was so "current" for me since it hasn't been posted to since a couple week's ago, but ..)

My boys eat both the same food (Nutro Natural Choice- some yogurt at breakfast). One of them, as long as I brush at least every other day, isn't too stinky. But the other boy smells, as you said about Nora, like he's been cleaning up the yard - and I know he doesn't/hasn't. AND I brush his teeth daily .. or at least every other day.

With the brushing, it helps a LITTLE bit with his breath (helps a lot with his teeth). If I don't brush at least every other day (MUCH better every day), I get a lot more gum bleeding. So, with the discovery of the bleeding gums, I try harder to brush daily. I do it just before bed, just like I do my own and it takes all of .. maybe ... 5 minutes with the getting ready and the cleaning up afterwards.

I've heard that about raw feeders - the teeth and breath are much better. I just haven't managed to make that full commitment. But I would like to try to give turkey necks more often. I have a friend who used to give 1 neck a day to her dogs, as a treat ... and she said there was a HUGE difference in their teeth, etc.

But one thing I've noticed about my smelly boy -- his saliva is VERY thick and stringy. Does anyone else notice this about their smelly dog? My not so smelly boy has less "nasty" saliva... But Cool's saliva is ... well ... not quite as bad, but reminds me of egg whites ....

Maybe a clue to stinky breath??

Edited because I forgot to comment on the Tums: When I first got my first greyhound, I used to give him tums on a daily basis -- for the calcium.... I would just break them up and mix them in with his breakfast ... he didn't ever balk at eating them.

Kay

Edited by greytdogsks
Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

Guest CarolW

I have two hounds and the one has gorgeous teeth and no bad breath. However my male has horrible breath, and has had a dental. Vet said his teeth looked good this year. Suggested using something that goes in their water. I found Dental Fresh at Petco. 4 teaspoons to 2 cups of water. I don't use it with every bowl of water but at least once or twice daily as I have 2 that usually end up drinking out of the same bowl. I do have 2 but they are just too lazy to go to the other one. Also its 8.99 a bottle and with 2 it won't go far. But it DOES HELP. another thing I heard is to put fresh parsley in their food. Thats why restuarents put it on plates. Its to freshen breath.