Bad Breath?

Batmom

Does your hound(s) consistently have bad breath?  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Does your hound(s) consistently have bad breath?

• Yes
    • No

When Arlie arrived her breath was so bad it filled the room. She had a dental, one tooth extracted, and the dental surgeon made me promise to brush, which I do. Her breath up close in the AM is not thrilling, but overall it's fine and her teeth are pretty clean except for the really hard to get to places.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SQUEAKER04

All of my girls have plaque free teeth and clean breath. This is due to their diet. Raw frozen chicken hind quarter in the morning and ground chicken, rice and veggies for dinner. They get lambs lungs or cow lungs (dried) for snacks.

Guest caro

Bad breath is a sign of periodontal disease and tartar build-up. Huggy Bear had breath that could peel paint off the walls... and his teeth were horrendous. He ended up loosing most of them.

Igby has breath that smells like dew covered tulips :) and, likewise, his teeth are clean as a whistle. I hope to keep them that way. :brushteeth:goodluck

Guest BugsBunny

Thankfully my two don't have bad breath and have great teeth ( fingers crossed they stay that way), I feed a dry complete food with a couple of forkfulls of meat ,to prevent boredom. When I go out they each get a dental Kong as opposed to the normal ones, which helps clean thier teeth.

Horse try's to eat the tooth brush so that doesn't really work!!!

Guest ohgreyt

Looks like I better start taking notes and try some of these things.....I need to really be more diligent about brushing cuz Mira's breath could wake the dead....

Breath buscuits help a little and brushing helps a little. But not enough to douse most of the smell so it doesn't knock you over....

Edited by ohgreyt

Switched the girls to Nature's Variety Instinct and their breath and coat have improved a lot.

Now the other end is very different...Zoe is passing REALLY bad gas.

Plus Hope (12 1/2) starting antibiotics for her teeth....the vet does not want to put her under anesthesia so she will be doing pulse antibiotics monthly (first 4 days of each month antirobe).

Guest Cris_M

I wish the people I met had breath as nice as Duncan's! Yep, he's raw fed. Even at a full pant 2 inches from one's face, it's fine.

Guest EmbersDad

ember is 9, eating solid gold wolf king, and her breath isnt bad. she gets morning breath usually, and the occasional stinkies when she is digesting, but its far from buzzard breath fer sure. after reading here about turkey necks, ive been giving those as well, and her back molars have gone from tea brown, to almost all white. id say she has decent toofers for a senior gal :-)

Guest ellieb

Max's breath is fine. Indigo's is HORRIBLE! She had 19 teeth removed at her pre-adoption dental in November 2006. She was apparently a crate chewer at the track and had silver on several teeth. I feed Nutro Large Breed kibble, some yogurt and Grizzly Salmon Oil. They get Nutro Tartar Control biscuits and I put OxyFresh in their water. I (guilty look) don't brush teeth. If Indi chews too vigorously on a tennis ball, her gums bleed. I am hesitant to brush her remaining teeth. The vet says she will always have bad teeth/gums.

Guest longdogs

Angel's breath is now sweet after 2 years of smelling like a dead fish. A few months ago we were pleased that it was much less strong than before. Given her teeth and gums, though much improved, have problems that aren't going to fix themselves, we really didn't hope for much more. There's nothing special about her diet. It's just a varied one built around Eagle Pack kibble plus small extras, with fresh meat and meaty bones for some meals. I don't give them commercial treats other than good quality hard biscuits and an occasional dried pigs' ear. I totally avoid anything sweet, other than pieces of fresh fruit. I believe dogs' teeth cope very badly with sweet stuff.

Guest GreytsMom
I have heard that bad breath has more to do with diet/stomach issues than mouth/teeth condition. Or maybe its a combination of the two?

In humans, consistently bad breath is related to periodontal disease and I suspect it is the same with dogs. Our PJay has sweet smelling breath for about a month after his dental, than the stinkiness starts to creep in. Brushing has little effect, mostly because he doesn't cooperate (he licks the toothpaste before I can really get going with the brushing part) with brushing. I didn't vote because his breath isn't consistently stinky.

Edited by GreytsMom

No Bad Breath, I brush give Greenies and use Plaque OFF
What is Plaque Off?

Beledi

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest Heep

No doggie breath here, unless I feed them something stinky. I feed Nutro Large Breed Chicken kibble & we brush the teefs every 2 days, because I'm obsessive. I don't give Greenies out as dental care (they're too expensive), although I have purchased them once or twice as a monthly treat.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

My first thought on habitual bad breath is something wrong with the teeth or they have gum disease. It's something I would definitely check with a vet on.

Guest needlenoselover

Heather has sweet breath. But I feed her a raw diet and that has a lot to do with it. The bones clean off the plaque from her teeth. :brushteeth I personally think the bad breath in dogs comes from the belly and the digestive process of all the fillers that kibble has. But you can't go by me. I'm just happy Heather has nice breath, so when she favors me with a kiss, it will be a sweet one!! :kiss2

I have heard that bad breath has more to do with diet/stomach issues than mouth/teeth condition. Or maybe its a combination of the two?

Bad breath is a symptom of gingivitis, which is a precursor to periodontal disease. Gingivitis can be reversed with proper teeth care, periodontal disease cannot. Additionally, in the last decade or so periodontal disease has been linked to a multitude of other serious health problems, including heart disease, kidney failure, diabetes, preeclampsia, etc. in both humans and companion animals.

Here are some links I was able to dredge up in a quick search online and of IVIS. I'm only posting the first few I found. Lonsdale's book Raw Meaty Bones (you can read the entire book online) also gives excellent info on the subject.

Heart disease

Preeclampsia

General article

In companion animals

More companion animals

It makes me really sad to see someone making fun of owners who brush their dogs teeth daily. Even if for some reason you choose not to believe that periodontal disease will lead to other health problems, the cost to you and the stress on your dogs of annual teeth cleaning under anesthesia and eventually extractions, etc. and painful disease should be enough to encourage people to do anything they can to keep their dog's teeth in good shape.

Anyway, I voted no bad breath, as a result of a raw diet. Neyla came off the track at 4 1/2 with horrible teeth. The vet recommended we do a dental when she was next anesthetized. I put her on a raw diet and at our next annual exam he raved about her teeth and the cleaning was canceled. She's now 8 and has never had a dental. Zuri just came to us in August with beautiful teeth and I plan to keep them that way. By the way, we've never brushed, but I do applaud those who need to and do.

Jen

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest gordysmom

Gordy's breath is neutral, except after eating mackeral! :lol Fortunately, he has had white teeth since adopting him in '05. He just started a raw diet which has really cleaned up any residual tartar build-up, which was minimal. OTOH, my Alli who crossed the bridge in January, was always plagued with constant tarter build up. One, she was always on a kibble diet. Two, I think she was just pre-disposed to quick build up even though I tried brushing almost daily. With cleanings every year or so, her gums began to recede and eventually things got worse. I am sure her kidney failure was caused by bacteria. :huh There were several other issues compounding all at the same time and the vet kept Rx-ing antibiotics. Nevertheless, it's water over the bridge so to speak.

So....Brushing is very important if your dog eats a kibble diet and has constant tartar. It only takes 1 or 2 minutes!

Guest crazy4greys

If it is due to the food and teeth, then what about Skylar who only has front teeth? The rest of her teeth are gone.

Her breathe smells like something died in her mouth! :puke

Guest LindsaySF

Teagan's breath smells bad if I haven't brushed his teeth recently. I try to brush them once a week, and I scale them once a month.

I think a lot of the bad breath, tartar-covered teeth, and gum disease has a genetic predisposition. Teagan's teeth are gross the next day after I brush them, while all of my other dogs have pearly whites and I don't do anything special. They all have the same diet, etc.

I think they can still get build-up below the gum line, even if they have had teeth pulled. I'm not 100% certain, but that could explain the toothless doggies still having bad breath.

~Lindsay~

• 2 months later...

My three usually have fairly mild breath except right after they east. They like that salmon formula, but it does give them a slight case of after meal cat breath.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest Mommydog

Funny you should mention this, as Joe has rather stinky breath despite having had a dental and regular teeth cleaning. A couple of weeks back I came across a supplement you add to the drinking water to alleviate the problem. It's called BAC to nature and is 100% organic. The pack contained a bottle of drops to add to the water and a mouth spray. The ingredients as stated on the bottle are: Aqua, Nitro Bacters, Zota Bacters, Eurythmic Micro-Organisms and Thermophillic Micro-Organisms. Which doesn't mean a lot to me! :P But apparently it's good bacteria that kills off the bad stuff which causes the smell. It works like a charm :)

If it is due to the food and teeth, then what about Skylar who only has front teeth? The rest of her teeth are gone.

Her breathe smells like something died in her mouth! :puke

:nod and what about baby Fenway, who has pearly white puppy teeth that get brushed daily, is on a high quality kibble (nature's something?? prairie), and who also smells rotten from across the room? I just started a digestive enzyme to see if that helps. :blink:

I too find it sad that somone would poke fun at those people who care properly for their dog. :(

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest tigerlily
Damien has remarkably odorless breath. It has just a very faint rather pleasant smell. I'd MUCH rather smell his breath that most humans! :lol

same here..neither of my girls have bad breath..hershey has beautiful white teeth and sugar got hers cleaned at the vets a couple of weeks ago..even before that her breath didnt smell at all..